ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
gt8scott
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4SI

OEM Wheel Locks

Just purchased a 2008 Z4 SI with the Sorts Package I noticed the wheels have a cup like wheel lock. After a quick Google search I determined that I have OEM wheel locks. I have checked from one end of this car to the other checking every nook and cranny for a key. No luck. Soooooo my question is. Is this a dealer tool and is not provided with the car? forcing me to take it to the dealer for any service work requiring the wheel to be removed. Or has mine been lost and is it replaceable. Can I get one from the dealer using my VIN # Any help and i would be greatful

Scott Marshall
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

The car should have come with wheel lock key. Its not a dealer thing, you should have the key. Call the dealer you bought the car from and ask them to provide one (if it's the dealer you bought from). If that doesn't pan out your local dealer might be able to match your bolts with the right key (call them). It's NOT VIN related as far as I know--locks are an OEM aftermarket part. But I could be wrong; either way a call is in order. Good luck!

Last edited by Finnegan; 10-22-2011 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
Wheel locks are not VIN related. From the factory, the car comes with the standard bolts. Dealers install wheel locks and provide a key as part of the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection).

If your key has been lost, it's not big deal. Worst case scenario, take the car to your local dealership, walk up to the parts counter and ask them to match their master set of keys with your lock.

That way you will figure out which one you need and they can order it for you. Shouldn't cost more than $10 in the US.
Appreciate 0