ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

1 special car and SUV vs cool all purpose car?

So I have been looking at getting an R8 v10 gated coupe for a while now...and I think I've found one and am getting closer to pulling the trigger, but part of me is hesitating

here's why: I wonder whether making this move will actually bring me more smiles per mile

if I get the R8, I will sell the M2 comp, and will likely get an automatic SUV of sorts that my wife can also drive (hopefully a decent driving one like a Macan or something)

The R8 will be come that special fair weather car that I will only use in the right conditions, which means I won't drive it much December through Feb. Outside of those months, I will also not drive it on rainy days or on long trips (no spare) or where I am not sure about the parking situation.

So really I won't drive it all that much. I'll probably drive the SUV as much if not more than the R8 overall.

On the other hand, if I keep the M2 comp, I will drive it all the time (I drive it in the winter) and for all purposes and enjoy all those drives.

on the issue of quantity, there is no question I will get more enjoyable driving time in the M2 than I will in the R8

but of course those drives in the R8 will be much more of an event, an amazingly visceral naturally aspirated v10 connected to a gated manual in a purpose built sports car

those drives will be more special and feed the passion better

but there are negatives that come with the R8 in terms of the experience. It is wide and low and visibility is tough which can make driving it in the city (which is where I live) a bit of a hassle. it gets unwanted attention. You have to be careful with clearance.

it's just way more high maintenance....in many ways.

something like the M2 is just easy fun. It has good visibility, it is the right size, it doesn't attract a lot of attention. It;s like just grab the keys and go and enjoy the drive.

Part of me thinks that while the idea of the R8 appeals for those amazing drives like in a commercial, the reality might be that living in a crowded city with bad traffic, those drives will be few and far between and overall I would actually be happier and enjoy more fun drives in something more simple like my M2

anyhow interested in hearing people's perspectives on this

and yeah I know the ideal scenario would be to keep the M2 comp and add the R8, but that's just not in the cards, the coolest everyday car I could hope in addition to the R8 for would be an automatic Macan...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
Emmrbee
Retired
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Buy an E85 or E86 with an S54 in it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 06:20 PM   #3
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Currently have a Z4MC and an X3MC.

The X3MC does daily duties, questionable weather, heavy traffic drives and soaks up miles; while the Z4MC comes out on for weekend and holiday drives.

Having both works well for me.

As newer, nicer and faster as the X3MC is compared to the Z4MC, I still love and appreciate the experience of driving the Z4MC.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

I always say purpose built cars will always be better than one car to do it all. I'd rather have an economical grocery getter that's cheap to run and a dedicated sports car over something like a performance SUV or some other compromise. Mtxzptlk proves the point, you can look at those two cars on paper and the X3MC spanks the Z4 in all regards. But the Z4 is a from scratch sports car and feels more special. That will always make a better experience in my opinion. Personally a D3 A8 as a daily and Z4M roadster would be my dream duo.
Appreciate 1
ryank382102.00
      03-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #5
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

Have a E46 M3 and a E86 M coupe with a 2015 GTI as the around town grunt worker. Works out great.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #6
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

z4mc + 4Runner here. Love both of them.
I used to DD the Z for few years. But these days it sits in garage most of the time and it makes me feel very sad... Never wanted her to become a garage queen...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I think you're putting too much logical thought into what should be an emotional decision. I've always worked in reverse. Buy a car I want, then figure out a use case for it.

IMO never let what you need dictate your car buying decisions if you can. Frankly, if I need an AWD SUV to traverse the snow covered hills, I'd borrow my buddy's Toyota FJ Cruiser for a week.

Or rent a 4Runner from Hertz. It's still cheaper than buying a truck to take up space in the driveway for the 360 day of the year that I don't need it for. That's why I have a fun analog sports car (MZ4 Coupe), the best Diesel sedan in the world (335D), and the most advanced car in the world a buy-back agreement from GM for the Corvette Grand Sport can buy (Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD).

Whatever 0.1% of needs one of these three cars can't meet, I can alway rent one for the price of a month's cell phone bills.

So you found an R8 you want to buy? Go get it. Worry about needing an all-around car to drive later. Who says you can't make the R8 work as a daily drive (I've seen it done here)? It's a depreciating asset most of the time, might as well drive the p*ss out of it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
XMetal1134.50
wdb4732.00
      03-10-2021, 05:09 PM   #8
pyshin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97c2

'07 Z4MC & '17 RAV4 here. Barely use the RAV4, but it is paid off & has a parking spot with no effort so it stays in case I need it. Daily drive the Moupe to the hospital every shift. No ragerts.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Depends on you. I have a Moupe and N55 X1. If I need to haul something the X1 cant carry, I get an hourly rental from HD or U-Haul.

For me, I balanced my "SUV" w/ something still fun to drive since I got a good deal on it and I don't carry large items very often.

If you frequently haul a lot or typically large items, then your focus should be there. Likewise, balancing the purchase, insurance, and maintenance costs of multiple vehicles vs one.
      03-12-2021, 02:53 AM   #10
polar
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Z4MC07

If one can live with the "disadvantages" of an electric, the new Porker Taycan Cross Turismo would be a superb all-purpose.

18" Arc-8 - Michelin Cup2 - KW V3 - GC camberplates - RE trans mounts - VT engine mounts - Vorshlag RTAB shims - RPi - stubby - CDV del
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #11
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Funny you mention a Macan, as that's what I added as my daily last November after years "making do" with Acura TSX/TLXs (fantastic lease deals).

I can't see having an R8 or similar exotic if living in a city where it is not a natural/good environment. Have a duo that you'll be able to enjoy driving throughout the year.

My roadster gets "battery maintenance" drives once a week for the three months when it's cold, grey and nasty. But now with having the Macan, I don't miss it nearly as much.
Appreciate 1
baege1334.00
      03-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #12
couchflyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4; X4 M40i

Garage List
Have you looked at a X4M or X6M?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 11:48 PM   #13
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
06 Z4MR here,Lexus RX350 is my daily. Always look forward to the wknds when I take the Roady for day trips!
      03-17-2021, 09:16 PM   #14
DerE85Fahrer
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4 3.0i, VW MK6 GTI

I can understand both sides of the argument. I have a modified GTI and an E85 3.0i. I originally bought the GTI because I wanted one car to be a really fun and capable vehicle to handle all my needs. Fast forward a couple years and I acquired my Z. My GTI is still what I consider to be my daily, but I drive them both nearly the same amount. I love having both because I drive one for a few days and then switch, and they are each a special experience in their own way. I feel like driving each one less makes me appreciate them both more.
Appreciate 2
baege1334.00
3798j11410.50