ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
2008si
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4

08 Z4 part # for spray cover in bumper??

The washer spray cover for my pass headlight is gone. Do I have a busted sprayer or did the cover just snap off in the most likely case? What is the part number for that. I looked on EBAY and I get conflicting parts that look the same but have diff numbers.
If the sprayer needs replaced how hard is that to replace?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

realoem.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008si View Post
The washer spray cover for my pass headlight is gone. Do I have a busted sprayer or did the cover just snap off in the most likely case? What is the part number for that. I looked on EBAY and I get conflicting parts that look the same but have diff numbers.
If the sprayer needs replaced how hard is that to replace?
https://www.realoem.com/
      01-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Here's what the sprayer and the cover look like, along with the small white trapezoidal piece that is the connection between the two. You can see the "yoke" on the sprayer and the two pins on the trapezoidal piece that go into the yoke, like they do on the sprayer. If the top of your sprayer doesn't look like this, then the top part of your sprayer broke off and there won't be any way to secure the cover to the sprayer.

If the sprayer is intact, you can grab the top and pull it out against the spring. Then, using a shop rag to prevent any scratching, just use a pair of vise grips to hold the sprayer in the up position while you attach the new cover. Make sure the orientation of the cover is correct before releasing the sprayer back into the bumper!

It looks like the part number for the cover is #51117078261 for the left and #51117078262 for the right. getbmwparts.com has them for about $20. But that white piece doesn't seem to be part of the cover, it seems to be part of the sprayer. The part number for the sprayer is #61677057451 for the left and #61677057452 for the right and they run about $80 at getbmwparts.com but in their diagram the sprayer doesn't look anything like the actual sprayer. If you're also missing the white piece it would suck to have to pay $80 just to get the white piece!

The first time I had the front bumper off I unplugged the tubing and disconnected the pump on the washer fluid bottle. I never saw the sprayer work, but in SoCal I don't often use the wipers. I just didn't want the thing to spray randomly and mess up a perfectly clean car.

I currently have the front bumper off again and I've removed the sprayers completely. I plan to just epoxy the cover in place from the underside, which is a lot less work than filling the hole and would also require a repaint of the bumper, which I don't need.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #4
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

The first time I had mine missing, I had to buy the whole sprayer unit because the white connecting piece was missing.

After that I just pulled the sprayer fuse, so it'll never come up again.

It's been years since.

HTHs,

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I also pulled the sprayer fuse. Hated when I'd use the windshield sprayer and the headlight sprayers would shoot fluid all over the entire clean hood area
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
2008si
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4

I had a 97 later a 2002 XK8 and they also had the stupid sprayers, I ended up disconnecting them also. I just hate seeing the opening in the bumper cover with mine missing on the Z.
Appreciate 0