ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
IN10SS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Guys, sorry it took so long for me to post up. My trip to Ohlins was fantastic. The only bad news is no pictures to show you. Christer was the engineer who met me and the first thing we did was go for a ride. He said he wanted to establish a baseline for the stock performance and ride characteristics. Then they put my M on a lift and removed the left side wheels to measure everything. They actually removed the left front suspension later on to get everything they needed. In response to my questions, Christer advised that their offering would be more track oriented and very adjustable. They had some off the shelf stuff that was close to the correct dimensions, but had a lot of study and testing to do before they would know how much development would need to be done.
During all this, I was given a grand tour and made to feel like I was really a VIP. Seriously, every single person there went out of their way to say hi and share a little piece of what they do. The place was amazing. Also, I had mentioned to Christer that my mod budget was low due to a recent purchase of a new to me Hayabusa. So he said if I brought my gear, they would loan me a BMW GS1200 with a full Ohlins Electronic Suspension for the day! Then one staff member spent a good 20 minutes making sure I knew enough about the operation to thoroughly test it, while another guy printed out a 3.5 hour mountain test loop, complete with suggested lookout views and lunch stop. They just gave me the key and said be back before 5.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
IN10SS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

When I returned from the ride, I was led into their new training room where they had cider, cake, and other treats. Then Christer discussed the set-up for our cars a little more. I realized I probably would never be able to afford their complete kit or push it to it capable limits since my car will never see a track. Ohlins will need a car to trial fit the system when it is ready and although I'm willing to go back again, it would make more sense if it was fitted to a car whose owner was interested in purchasing it. I have no figures, but was led to believe there would be a substantial labor discount and possibly a system discount as well for the lucky guy. This also saves Ohlins from having to return my car to stock afterwards if I can't afford to purchase. I am trying to see if I could possibly swing this but felt the word needs to go out to allow someone else to benefit if possible.
Hey, I got a free T-shirt!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #25
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

IN10SS, thanks so much for sharing your experience and for filling in!

Beta, as you know, I was very on board with the Ohlins kit and was even anticipating being the test car for this project until I had an unfortunate accident which rendered my old track prepped Z totaled.

Well, the good news is I picked up my new Z (nearly a twin of my old car) a couple weeks back and am still extremely interested in the product. I have KW V3's on my new Z which, for some reason, feels sub par to the OEM suspension with dinan springs I had on my old car? Anyways, I know my car will be in good hands with Ohlins.

So if IN10SS doesn't have any qualms with me moving forward, please let me know if they have a timeframe for when they would like to have my car there and for how long.

Cheers!
      10-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #26
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Sounds great! If you guys don't mind PMing eachother, IN10SS can give you all the contact info for Christer.

Thank you for helping out! I'm glad you had an amazing time, driving that bike must've been amazing, the GS1200 is one of my favorite bikes.
      10-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #27
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

PM'ed IN10SS.
      02-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #28
eup4oria
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4

I'm in Fletcher NC. I have a 2008 Z4.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #29
RecycledTeen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E85

Zub - this thread needs an update!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #30
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Send a PM to @mfanatic325 as he has kindly agreed to take over this effort. They got an initial car for measuring, then things slowed down due to engineers leaving. The main thread is here for the details.