ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
Shocks

Alright, I figure I'll ask this on here, just to get clarification of my thoughts. I'm looking for a set of track coilovers for my Z4M build (thread coming): triple adjustable, remote reservoir. I'm tossing a few ideas out there to see what everyone has experience with.

Options:
1)Moton- They're Motons, the advantages are there
2)JRZ- Lighter than Moton, Smaller (physical) springs, Custom valving
3)AST- Local (Across Town), custom valving, shock dyno
4)Koni- 2800 series- Don't know much about them in terms of valving, but know that alot of ALMS GT cars run them.
5)Penske- Full custom, one-off shocks.

Debate away, folks.

Last edited by arggg45; 06-05-2011 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Added Penske
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
RevsPlease
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, Black Saphire

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [10.00]
Aren't Motons upward of like 6 grand?! If money is no object.... Lol.

How about KW Club-sports? Plenty of people on here love them. I don't think they have a remote reservoir though.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevsPlease View Post
Aren't Motons upward of like 6 grand?! If money is no object.... Lol.

How about KW Club-sports? Plenty of people on here love them. I don't think they have a remote reservoir though.
Yep, all of those are in the 4-6k range, though you can spend north of 12k when you start building quad-adjustible custom shocks (more than I am willing to deal with or want to spend). The purpose of a shock like a JRZ/Moton/Penske/AST is the infinite range of adjustability inherent in a virtually custom shock. They are the MoTeC of shocks, if you will. I'm fairly confident that I am going to get Motons, but I haven't decided for sure yet.

Also, about the KW Clubsports, I don't like the way they are valved, and I don't like that they don't have a digressive compression curve.
      06-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
cgroppi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Are you sure you really need triples? DAs are much more common, much lower in cost, and are likely to get the job done just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroppi View Post
Are you sure you really need triples? DAs are much more common, much lower in cost, and are likely to get the job done just fine.
I know I want triples, and not quad. I could be talked into doubles, but coming from having had triples on my S2K before I took it back to stock, I really like the damper tuning abilities triple-adjustable shocks have.
      06-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

AST owns Moton for US distribution now, if you can afford to be patient I'd wait 3-5 month and see how that shakes out. From my experience of these type of mergers, the top end company being swallowed up will eventually lose out...And quality suffers.

Although the AST 5200 are pretty darn near the Motons to start with. I've never heard of 4 way adjustable shocks...only rebound, high speed compression and low speed compression. Remote reservoir is the only other high end option available.

Also keep in mind that there are no MZ4 specific applications for ANY of these shocks and all of then will require significant modification to fit the chassis right. This isn't like the E36 and E46 chassis where there's already plenty of R&D done for most of these high end shocks (Ohlins, JRZ, and Moton all have been customized for these other chassis to death).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
AST owns Moton for US distribution now, if you can afford to be patient I'd wait 3-5 month and see how that shakes out. From my experience of these type of mergers, the top end company being swallowed up will eventually lose out...And quality suffers.

Although the AST 5200 are pretty darn near the Motons to start with. I've never heard of 4 way adjustable shocks...only rebound, high speed compression and low speed compression. Remote reservoir is the only other high end option available.

Also keep in mind that there are no MZ4 specific applications for ANY of these shocks and all of then will require significant modification to fit the chassis right. This isn't like the E36 and E46 chassis where there's already plenty of R&D done for most of these high end shocks (Ohlins, JRZ, and Moton all have been customized for these other chassis to death).
HACK, 4 way are hi and lo compression and hi and low rebound. They are unbelievably complicated, and 1 click in any direction can completely screw up the handling of the car. Moton makes Z4M specific...whether or not it is a juryrigged combination is yet to be seen. I'm fairly sure that i'm going to go with Motons since Vorshlag is just across town, and can now rebuild/revalve them...I understand that at this point, I am in fairly uncharted waters, and have resigned myself to the fact that I am probably going to have to have the shocks revalved at least once.