ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Bluetooth Audio

This has to have been discussed somewhere else but my searching never seems to do me any good.

I have a DICE unit in my car when I bought it but the 30-pin connector is seriously messed up and I have an 8-pin.

The thing I want is to be able to have bluetooth audio. I have a charge case on my iPhone and I don't think taking it out of the case just to listen to music is convenient. Especially since I have to get an adapter and fix the 30-pin connector.

Has anyone done a mod to where the factory bluetooth can be configured to do bluetooth audio with music controls and album art?

This would be amazing to have.
      11-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmarYasirA View Post
This has to have been discussed somewhere else but my searching never seems to do me any good.

I have a DICE unit in my car when I bought it but the 30-pin connector is seriously messed up and I have an 8-pin.

The thing I want is to be able to have bluetooth audio. I have a charge case on my iPhone and I don't think taking it out of the case just to listen to music is convenient. Especially since I have to get an adapter and fix the 30-pin connector.

Has anyone done a mod to where the factory bluetooth can be configured to do bluetooth audio with music controls and album art?

This would be amazing to have.
It's never been discussed, I don't think it is possible at all. If you want to do Bluetooth audio either make your DICE unit work or use a Bluetooth audio receiver into the Aux input.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

The factory BT is for telephony only - it won't do A2DP Bluetooth audio. Some of the Dice units will, depending on what model you have. If you set up the Dice to pair with your phone for BT audio, you don't need to have the cable connected to stream music. The cable is only required to charge the iPhone or play wired digital audio.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep

Hmmm... But I know for a fact that you can't be connected to two bluetooth devices at one time. So I couldn't use the factory bluetooth for calls AND a dice bluetooth unit for audio.

Another reason I asked is because I want the entire Nav/multimedia interface to be very uniform and not have so many extra crap and just be one solid unit that does everything.

Kinda like what the newer BMW audio systems are like. They have the option of plugging in USB and having audio/calls, having wireless bluetooth audio/calls or both and just have the wire for charging.
      11-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

When I use my iPhone via BT in the car, I can also hear the clicks from using the keypad or when I press the power button on top... if the sound effects can make it through, I'd bet there's a way to get music to go through also. Maybe someone more clever than I can figure out a way.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #6
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmarYasirA View Post
Hmmm... But I know for a fact that you can't be connected to two bluetooth devices at one time. So I couldn't use the factory bluetooth for calls AND a dice bluetooth unit for audio.
you can be paired with multiple bluetooth items at the same time; however, only one can actually be connected (through audio) at any given time. I *think you can still be connected to another device and transmit data, while being connected to an audio source simultaneously. I feel like i've tested that before and it worked, but my memory is getting pretty crappy these days.

so hypothetically, i can be connected to my Jawbone Jambox speaker, my bluetooth headset, and the BMW factory bluetooth. if i'm playing music through my jambox and i get a call, the call will go through the jambox speaker by default since it's already playing music. however, through my phone, i have the ability to select which bluetooth audio device i want to pick up. I can use my phone to select the BMW bluetooth (for whatever reason) to play my phone conversation over the car speakers and microphone. if the call then turns into a private conversation, i can then switch over to my bluetooth headset. when the call is over, the music will resume on the Jambox Speaker even though i switched audio sources twice. At least with my iphone, it will remember the last settings. so if i get another call during my drive, it will default to the last settings that were used (jambox for music, and headset for a call).

from my understanding, the bluetooth unit in our cars do not support A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), which is what is required for 2-channel stereo streaming of music through a bluetooth connection. I have not heard of any factory/OEM retrofit that will allow us to use a bluetooth module from a newer bmw that supports A2DP, i believe (for now) our only option is to go through a mediabridge-type aftermarket solution. we can, however, upgrade the microphone for our bluetooth connections, which i'm currently trying to test. i just haven't been able to scrape together time to take the steering wheel column apart to swap the microphones.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #7
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep

Interesting. Very interesting. I'll see if it does this.
      12-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Second Gen
Registered
Rep
Drives: RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
The factory BT is for telephony only - it won't do A2DP Bluetooth audio. Some of the Dice units will, depending on what model you have. If you set up the Dice to pair with your phone for BT audio, you don't need to have the cable connected to stream music. The cable is only required to charge the iPhone or play wired digital audio.
This quote is correct in that the factory units do not BT advanced (A2DP) for audio streaming. Wired or a Dice unit would be the only option (Outside ditching the factory setup). I plan to eradicate my factory setup in the Spring. I know it will require an entire swap w/amps and new speakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
ssummers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Gen View Post
This quote is correct in that the factory units do not BT advanced (A2DP) for audio streaming. Wired or a Dice unit would be the only option (Outside ditching the factory setup). I plan to eradicate my factory setup in the Spring. I know it will require an entire swap w/amps and new speakers.
You are on the right track, check out my build thread for some good info.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784148
Appreciate 0