ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
jaffar
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 2.5si

my mediabridge experience

Hi all

So I decided (pretty much like everyone else ?) to add Bluetooth and USB capabilities to my Z4. After a brief search, I concluded that there are several cheap solutions that are quite crappy (for example, you can only create 6 folders and you HAVE to name them CD01, CD02.. CD06; also they don't show the filename or id3 tag on the radio display) and there are the expensive solutions that...well... do a bit more than that.

After a long search I finally found a seller on ebay, with both good feedback and shipping options for me, and I ordered myself a Audiovox/Dice AMBR-1500-BMW.

I installed it the same day the package arrived and I was very excited to find out that it does almost everything I wanted - I can listen to music from an USB drive, I can charge my phone, I can listen to music from my phone over USB or over AD2P and also have good hands free options (music stops when phone rings etc.)

Then came the bad parts:

1. the music position should be remembered next time the car is started. Well it is, but not always. First time it was reset after the car was off for 14 hours, so I suspected it's a feature, not a bug. But then after many tests, my conclusion is that it's totally random. The shorted time was about 5 minutes, when I payed for gas. Of course I checked all connections, tried several brands and sizes of USB keys etc. I have a ticket opened with Audiovox that is not solved yet. I am a bit worried that they might want to replace the unit, which is not a good option for me, since shipping to my corner of the world is... not cheap.

2. the quality of sound from the USB key is total crap. I am not able to understand how a bit can sound different when played over different decoders, or how cheap and crappy can the Dice decoder be in order to achieve that. Playing the same mp3 file (even 320kbps, encoded from my own original CDs) over the radio or on the phone (using the wire, not bluetooth) sounds really good; playing it from the USB key is a very sad experience.

3. the display. I am quite happy that it sends the song (and other) information to the radio display. But it does not do it in a smart way, it just forces it over anything else, all the time. Sometimes I want to see the clock on the radio display - it's not possible any more, it shows for a short fraction of a second, then the song information comes over. Ok, I could live with that, but when I want to try some sound settings (bass, treble etc.) it's impossible to see anything.

Overall I am still pleased with this upgrade, I might add an ipod for better sound quality but meanwhile I'm also looking for other solutions, if something better exists.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Get intravee...
      06-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
@Jaffar

After finally getting mine to work I'm quite pleased that I can now listen to my favorite music. Surprisingly, it sounds great through USB or BT. If I were you, I'd just skip using a USB memory stick and stay with using an iPhone or iPod.

The system isn't perfect, however. If I want to switch between BT or USB, sometimes I get no audio and I have to completely shut the system down.

Normally, when set to BT, it automatically connects. I'm happy that the auto connect function works.

My iPhone is simultaneously connected to the oem BMW BT so when I make calls, I can use the OEM BT system through the iPhone. When a call comes through, the music also quiets down and the oem BT kicks in. This was a pleasant surprise since I was expecting to install the microphone supplied with the Mediabridge. The downside is at high speeds, the other person still can't hear me.

When using the maps function, the voice commands also go over the stereo system and the music quiets down.

The only draw back so far is I can't use the steering wheel button for Siri. It still connects to the oem BT system. That's ok. At least I have the system running. The iPhone is mounted on a Mountek nGroove CD slot mount. I can easily reach the button on the iPhone.

All in all, I love the system and I really wouldn't hesitate recommending it. But I must warn people, if you're having trouble getting it to work, send it back for a new unit after you've exhausted all other options. I made the mistake of buying mine used and the unit frequently froze. Maybe that unit just wouldn't work right with my particular oem stereo system. If anyone is interested in a Mediabridge let me know I'll sell it to you cheap, but be warned.
      06-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
jaffar
Rep

Small update. I am quite disappointed about Audiovox and their support. Apparently, I hoped it would be a different experience, but it's just as lame as any other support service

- first they tell you to update the firmware (even if you already told them you have the correct one)
- then they tell you to upgrade the firmware (doh..)
- then they tell you they can't help you and you should call this number
- guess what (this is new to me...) the number is from another department, who supports another product !
- i opened another ticket about another problem with the Mediabridge; the same guy from the first ticket answers me and tells me to... update the firmware !
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Universal answer for anything wrong - update the firmware. I got the same answer when I had problems with my first unit.
      06-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
jaffar
Rep

I guess all level 1 support hotlines are stupid.
No matter what the question is, they ask you to 1. update the firmware 2. reboot the car by unplugging the battery for 5 minutes.

I even reported a feature that is not implemented correctly (see above, you cannot see the clock or the bass/treble settings) and the idiot asked me to unplug the battery for 5 minutes...

Finally I talked to a much smarter person on the phone, he explained me that they don't know what the problem may be and I should get the unit replaced under warranty. Of course, they do not provide warranty for units purchased from online dealers so in other words, good luck, merry xmas.

Oh well..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Get intravee...
What he said
Appreciate 0