ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
My NAV DVD won't eject!!

I have an '05 Z4 with NAV and recently updated the maps. I'm not sure if the update had anything to do with this, but now I only get "please wait a moment" displayed on the screen and I'm unable to eject the NAV DVD. "Please wait a moment" displays regardless of trip duration. Every time I switch over to navigation the only thing I see is "please wait a moment."

I've tried disconnecting the battery for 15 mins to reset the system and hold the eject button once connected, but still no luck. I've even tried having my wife hold the eject button while I re-connect the battery.

Any ideas??

Last edited by wasupdu; 04-07-2014 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I've had this problem too (when I bought the car and wanted to swap dvd's), and I think it has to do with the mechanism, and that something is physically jammed, or an internal switch/sensor in the mechanism is not pressed correctly (so no electrical issue; I also tried all the things you did).

What I did is take a small knive (pocketknive), and put a small piece of strong double sided tape on the end (about 1x1cm), and stuck the knive in the slot so that I could press the tape bit on the top side of the dvd, and pulled it out with a little force while pressing the eject button.

After that the mechanism worked fine; dvd's go in and out with no hassle.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

taking it to a dealer? Possible a save way to get it solve.
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Plasma Blue (SOLD)
2008 Z4///M Roadster Space Gray (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

.....And getting billed for a new mk4 incl installation
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I noticed the DVD will not eject if it have problem reading the disc. Turn of the car for 15 minutes and try again. That works for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
What I did is take a small knive (pocketknive), and put a small piece of strong double sided tape on the end (about 1x1cm), and stuck the knive in the slot so that I could press the tape bit on the top side of the dvd, and pulled it out with a little force while pressing the eject button.

After that the mechanism worked fine; dvd's go in and out with no hassle.

Thanks for the tip! I tried this and was able to pull the DVD out, but now I can't get the DVD back in. The NAV screen still displays my coordinates and elevation, so the computer is still good. I'm hoping that I can just replace the mechanism inside the DVD drive rather than replacing the entire unit. It looks like the mechanism can be found for about $130 and looks to be fairly easy to replace. We'll see...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

No offense bud, glad you got the DVD out, but why bother? The mk4 is the biggest piece of crud this side of gps nav planet. Terrible unit, terrible to use and even more arcane to program. What a complete waste of nav in my bimmer. Oh did I forget to mention that you can't even enter a lat/long co-ordinate? What a shame. Glad you got it out though ; )
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

^I have no problem typing in an address and arriving at the destination...

Maybe not the flashiest looking nav, but hey, it was designed in the early 2000's (just as the z4 was). I think it's even more user friendly than some modern systems. (I've used some pretty bad modern (post2012) ford&volvo systems)

Why would you want to type in lat/long coordinates?
You're planning to turn it into a boat?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
Urluz3n
Lackey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW M Coupe

I heard of a fella who had the same problem. And it up there was no DVD in the player.
      04-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
No offense bud, glad you got the DVD out, but why bother? The mk4 is the biggest piece of crud this side of gps nav planet. Terrible unit, terrible to use and even more arcane to program. What a complete waste of nav in my bimmer. Oh did I forget to mention that you can't even enter a lat/long co-ordinate? What a shame. Glad you got it out though ; )
I turn my car on and I always have a map showing where I am with absolutely zero effort on my part. On the rare occasion I need to use it for directions/ETA I enter the destination as an intersection and it always gets me there.

You may hate it, but I think it's perfectly adequate. I use my phone to look up the destination and use the MKIV nav for directions.
      05-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Would a new DVD drive mechanism work at this point, or do you think I'm SOL and have to replace the whole unit?

Here's one for $100 on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181275331634...84.m1423.l2649
      05-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #12
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

That's a repair shop and not a module. They may replace the 'mechanism', but that is usually the laser pickup. (you can buy those on ebay too, those are usually the things going wrong (worn out laser, and yes, they're cheap:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Optical-lase...98980d&vxp=mtr)).

Your problem may lie in the eject mechanism itself (that is another part than the laser pickup). Although faulty reading may interfere with eject.
Anyhow that being a repair service you may contact them. They have experience with these units and may have a spare eject assembly lying around.

I might replace the laser myself in the near future as I experience more and more read errors. But that might also be my crappy modded DL'ed 2013 dvd from a questionable source

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-01-2014 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 03:45 AM   #13
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

surely its just a shitty dvd rom reader, stock bog from a pc? sure looks like it.. i bet it even has the atapi interface at the back? has anyone tried to just replace it with a similar PC unit?

ok, ill take that back, apparently its a specific unit.. bloody hell. they go for around 450-850 US.. lol .. piece of crud. i guarantee when mine fails i will not be replacing it, ill be ripping the darn thing out. (and its bloody noisy too if it has a disc in there)