ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #23
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Sorry, havent got that far so I admit I have not read the motor re-assembly DIY in detail yet. I was just taking a quick read through it to try to get an idea of what it entails and see if there was a way I could seal the system from leaks without having the parts off the car to look at in person yet...

I didnt really think about it being sealed, I am not familiar with this system. I thought it might leak out small amounts long term with normal use. Apologies...

Vanne that is correct, the fluid has completely leaked into the area between the glass and film layer... none has dripped out yet, but the yellow mirror is quite ugly. The replacement units are in the mail as I speak
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

New parts showed up today so I got back to work on the top... picked up the parts and within 5 minutes of being home the top was off. The wiring was easy to figure out in the daylight

I took the top off alone, you really dont need two. Even though my car is getting painted and a few scratches will be fine (since it will be prepped again before paint) there is an easy way to do it without damage... put a huge shipping blanket over the trunk, and a few pillows on top spanning the width of the top. I lifted up each side and pushed in to loosen it from the clips, then let it sit in it's place. Once both sides were loose I lifted one edge and placed on a pillow, then lifted the other edge... at this point the top was resting on the pillows on top of the trunk, then you slide it off the trunk onto the floor with the pillows. My top did not contact my trunk at any point

Had the normal stuff blocking my drains... dirt, debris... (drivers side drain)

...FDIC temporary prepaid cards (pass side drain)

Now about to start the motor replacement...

Have not seen this in any DIYs. This (the sticker) is not OEM? Has this already been replaced? And they didnt seal it?

Soldiering on...

I think the top was redone at some point and they covered it in this like, rubber foam type stuff... I think it was designed to keep water out. From what I can tell it just kept water in. Note the new motor sound insulation comes with this stuff too, but this stuff was different... it was tape and a bit "harder" than the soft foam that comes in the sound insulation box

All this gunk made had me saying this in my head...

Everything is reassembled with the new motor, waiting for the silicone to dry to reinstall

Last edited by Z4inAZ; 07-19-2013 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #25
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Well, I think you found your problem!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #26
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Well, I think you found your problem!
Yeah, I'd say!!

Ready to get the top back in but having a little trouble finessing it into place... too hot today (still over 100F right now) to keep working on it so will get to it tomorrow and wrap up this part of the project then.

Tail lights should be here soon, the trims arrived, just waiting on my box from Tischer and I should be about done as far as needing new parts (other than a drive wheel speed sensor, I need one of those still )

Last edited by Z4inAZ; 07-23-2013 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #27
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

Yeah your pump looks rotten.

Great job!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #28
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got it back in but apparently the motor was reversed... took it out and fixed it, apparently green goes to blue, and blue goes to green, instead of blue to blue and green to green; at least on my top... who knew?

Waiting for silicone to dry then hopefully installed and done...

edit: All installed and working Now to move onto the other projects on the car and get her back to the bodyshop...

Last edited by Z4inAZ; 07-22-2013 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #29
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Such a relief to have it finally working... I am a bit worried that I am going to take her to the bodyshop, they leave her outside in the rain, and the motor gets flooded and ruined again. It is sealed with silicone but still... I will have to ask nicely for them to leave it parked inside!

I just ordered my set of blue aspheric euro side mirrors...
Considering how bad my autodimming mirrors broke before, I dont think its worth the extra cost to potentially risk ruining the new paint with autodimming fluid. The blue tint is supposed to minimize glare and the blue mirrors I had in the past were not too bad at night.
Also ordered new wiper blades, full set of air vents and cupholders including center, velour floor mats, as well as some clips for the door sills so I can get the passenger side back on. And a few other odds and ends I am forgetting...

Next I have just a few more cosmetic odds and ends to finish up, the car is really shaping up. Once it is painted I will reward her with some new wheels, tires, and suspension. Planning on doing some gloss black accents to the exterior of the car and considering doing the roll bars as well...
Door jamb is done... car is a bit dirty but oh well

Last edited by Z4inAZ; 07-23-2013 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #30
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Nice progress, keep up the good work mate. : )
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #31
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Finally... the proper tail lights for my car showed up
I am REALLY not a fan of the earlier style lights, I know some people really love the earlier lights, so sorry guys! They arent bad, but they sure as heck arent these!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #32
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Hey, sweet lights : )
When is the car going in for its paint?
      07-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #33
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Hey, sweet lights : )
When is the car going in for its paint?
I believe the car got painted yesterday or if not, today... so I can pick it up tomorrow or the following day

Was very excited to get my package from ECS tuning. Bought the blue E46 M3 mirror glass because everyone online said they would fit, and the freaking Z4 mirror itself says "E85 / M3" on it. But they definitely wont fit, the locking mechanism is on the housing unit on the E46 M3, whereas on the Z4 its on the glass itself.

Guess I will return these to ECS and buy proper ones...
The one "cool" thing I bought for my car, and I cant even use them. Figures!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #34
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just a little update to my build. Returned the glass to ECS, was able to source some glass I am happy with. Non dimming aspheric... good enough for me Still waiting for the driver's side glass to show up though... shipped 8/2 supposedly

Now for the reason this build has been delayed.... shoddy paint work. It was originally supposed to be Frozen Silver...

...the bodywork guy whos doing it is a buddy of mine and loves BMWs as well and said he could do it. Anyways long story short... he wasnt able to do it. It was blotchy and gloss in some areas and just not the quality it needed to be.

But good news is, he is repainting the entire car at no additional cost to me... its going to this time be a color that was offered on the Z4, however, it was only an "Individual" color so I think it should be nice. Of course, gloss this time around.

In the meantime, parts are starting to pile up...

Tomorrow I head down to the bodyshop to help them remove some trim panels so they can paint the inner doors and door jambs properly... since they are biting the cost of the repaint I am going to help out as much as I can. Then it should be in for paint Wednesday and ready for pick up next week hopefully.

Last edited by Z4inAZ; 08-12-2013 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #35
Chee_Dog
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

I'm rebuilding mine as well, i should do a post of mine as well but great job.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #36
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Dude your car looks so....creepy sitting there...please hurry and fix her I can't stand seeing a Z like that...I was looking for tumble weeds at any second..LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #37
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone have a picture of their wiring harness for their facelift tail lights? The wiring I found in the DIY guides were wrong and I blew a fuse and the brake lights arent working now

Looking for someone with facelift 06+ tails to just take a picture of their wiring going into the tail light. I am hoping they use the same color wires as my prefacelift... IDEALLY, someone who upgraded their prefacelift TO the 06+ tails who could send me a picture would be a real life saver. I PMed a few people but really need this done by tomorrow and not sure they will reply back in time

Or where can I find wiring diagrams for this car? I have been looking for wiring diagrams on Google for the past half hour, usually I am good at Googling stuff but cant seem to find these diagrams/schematics I need.

If I can find wiring diagrams I can just compare the prefacelift to the 06+ lights and then fill in the blanks... this would probably be the best way to do it

Shes comin along... both tails are IN now, need to dremel down the light bulb holders to let them fit in place perfectly but at least they are in... What a difference!

The car is still painted Frozen Silver here and gives you guys a rough estimate of how it would look... it did look good except like I said there were defects in the finish and it didnt look as good around the whole car as the rear did... the "Frozen" finishes are really beautiful and really make the creases and design lines of these Z4s pop

Last edited by Z4inAZ; 08-14-2013 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #38
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Wiring diagrams are here.

Pre and Post tail light diagrams attached to save you time.

pre.pdf
post.pdf

Post-facelift left pin 1 and right pin 6 are the "panic" brake lights.
Not sure what your plan is for those. Looks like there was no such on pre-facelift.
I rigged mine to come on all the time, but had to do some engineering to avoid a bulb warning light or overloading the driver. There's a thread on it here somewhere.

Oh, and many thanks to drbvac for the decoder ring to the color codes.

Last edited by StickMon; 08-15-2013 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #39
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! It looks as though the correct pin wiring will be:

Left side
2 Blue / Yellow
3 Brown
4 Green / Purple
5 Gray / Purple
6 Blue / Green

Right side
5 Blue / Yellow
4 Brown
3 Blue / Black
2 Gray / Yellow
1 Blue / Brown

As for the panic brake lights - looks like I just wont have them No big deal really

Will update this once I finish it up then I plan on making a quick DIY on the light upgrade... there seems to be a lot of misinformation out there on the taillight upgrade. Seems to be some stuff getting lost in translation
      08-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #40
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
The 'panic' lights are what BMW calls 'Brake Force' lighting. You can turn them off with NCSExpert on both pre-facelift and facelift cars. On the pre-facelift cars (like yours), you just jumper two wires. I think you can jumper some wiring on facelift cars but I do not know right off the top of my head.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #41
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

I tried jumpering them to the regular brake light outputs so they would come on whenever I hit the brakes.
It draws too much current from the normal brake light driver and triggers a bulb warning.
Plus there's the risk of burning up the driver in the module.

Last edited by StickMon; 08-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #42
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Stickmon, on your ///M, just use NSCExpert to turn them off.

When I get back from the middle east, I will look to see what toggles I changed to disable them.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #43
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Edited my above post.
I didn't want them off. I have them rigged to come on all the time.
You can never have too many lights.

I found the thread on it.

Posts 19 and 20 are how not to do it.
Post 27 shows what I've had running successfully for about a year.

Last edited by StickMon; 08-15-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #44
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Though these arent my main focus I may as well ask while you guys are on the topic, I saw Shipkiller say theres a way to turn them off on prefacelift... does that mean I have them and they will stay functional with the new lights? I assume since the pin wiring is to basically get the wiring to the correct bulbs, that if the coding tells the car to just send more volts to the brake lights, that it will do these on mine without any modification? Or do I need to run another wire from somewhere? Ive always liked this feature, its called ABLAS in BMW terminology isnt it?