ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Noob Catching Up weekend.

So of course after reading through this site long enough I notice tons of things I "need" to do that I otherwise would never have even known about or noticed......thanks.....

So this weekend I started catching up. I did the led trunk light mod. 15 minutes to install counting opening the package and man - what a difference. Not sure who did this first, but good thinking.

Did the CDV removal, another nice to know item. I have owned a stick pretty much since I turn 16 29 years ago and have not liked the 1-2 shift since I bought this thing. Then I read why. Made that tons better. Taking off is a little better, but the 1-2 is MUCH better. Great easy mod. Also nice to get under there and look around for the first time - very nicely laid out undercarriage. I was impressed.

I also hate when a car has HID's and the fogs look yellow in comparison. I have used a lot of Maxlux products in the past with good luck, so I bought a conversion set and installed it today. The ballasts were bigger than I thought they would be, but there is tons of room to put them in there and a nice little frame piece right next to the fogs to use the stick pads to mount them and then I used a few zip ties to back that up. Even with the cover off, you have to look to find them. Instructions were less than stellar, but if I can figure it out - anyone can. The connections will not let you hook anything up wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already have their 6000K lights in the car, so I hoped these would match spot on and they appear like they will. They did during the day anyway and I have not driven it in the night since I put them in.

It is very hard to get comparison shots of HID's, but I think this one captured it best. HID in the passenger FOG and regular light in the drivers side fog.

Here is a crappy window shot while I was test driving, but you can see they both match the color output very nicely. I have always noticed a new HID bulb seems to take a few hours of burn to settle in the color, but I think they are going to look great. Already 1000 times better than stock. I don't use them as fogs, so just looking for them to match for aesthetic reasons.

While doing the driver side and tucking away the ballasts, I noticed a wire connected to something that was just free floating around in the front clip under the headlights.

I know it will be tough to identify from a picture, but here it is.

Looks like it came out of this hole which seems to have a little piece broken out of it that allowed this piece to pop out. There is another sensor right next to it aiming down that I believe is the outside temperature sensor.

Anyone have a clue what it is? Not sure where to look for it on like realoem because I do not know what it is. Anyone know what it is?
      04-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Also......

Does anyone know if you can buy the inner fender wheel fasteners without buying the whole cover? My cover is fine, but one of the fasteners finally gave up the ghost today. I see where I can buy the covers and the fasteners seem to come with them, but I just need a single fastener.

This is what I need.

04-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Does anyone know if you can buy the inner fender wheel fasteners without buying the whole cover? My cover is fine, but one of the fasteners finally gave up the ghost today. I see where I can buy the covers and the fasteners seem to come with them, but I just need a single fastener.

This is what I need.

I think I have a spare set. Let me look tonight. I'll PM a price.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Great - thank you. I sent an email to getbmwparts as well. The whole cover is only $7 and I THINK it comes with them, but then it would be another $10 for shipping probably.....

I also think I figured out what the sensor next to the temp sensor is - I think it is the temp sensor for the heated windshield washer nozzles if what I am seeing is correct. That took awhile to find when you have no idea what they heck it is!
      05-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Also - the inner fender cover fasteners can not be purchased by themselves apparently. You have to buy the whole cover to get them if anyone else goes to looking for them. I got the wrong things shipped to me and had to reorder the whole cover to get one. Cover is only $7, so not a huge deal - just an FYI.
      05-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
donoman
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i 5MT

From this angle that mystery piece looks very much like a piezo speaker.
1983 Wife
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Heated windshield washers???
      05-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
unluky
Major