ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-22-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Is my steering centered?

Can someone tell me if this picture depicts my steering rack being centered? I'm getting ready to do a string alignment after putting on coilovers and want to be sure before I do something I might regret

Cuz if it is my steering wheel is off by a lot. My wheels look pretty straight though.

Thanks

Jim

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Did you ever figure this out? My wheels look straight and car drives perfectly straight but my steering wheel must stay rotated a bit to the right. This happened after my mechanic replaced my tie rod ends and did a string alignment. Is it possible that he somehow installed the tie rods ends incorrectly?
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
Did you ever figure this out? My wheels look straight and car drives perfectly straight but my steering wheel must stay rotated a bit to the right. This happened after my mechanic replaced my tie rod ends and did a string alignment. Is it possible that he somehow installed the tie rods ends incorrectly?

The steering wheel must be centered during the toe adjustment. The procedure is to start the car and center the steering wheel, shut the car off and lock the steering wheel in this centered position (a special spring lock tool is better then using the cars steering lock as far as accuracy is concerned). Then the toe is adjusted on the tires. If someone is using a string then they have to have good eyes because essentially your sighting down the side of the vehicle making sure the front tires line up with the rear tires. The string is used to determine the toe angle from the center front of the front tires as compared to the center rear of the front tires.

Your toe was not set correctly this is why your steering wheel is off center. I suggest taking it to someone for a proper 4 wheel alignment. The steering angle sensor will most likely need reset using a scan tool to avoid a fault with the DSC but any reputable alignment shop will do this as part of the procedure now a days.
Appreciate 3
StickMon636.00
3002 tii2279.50
wdb4713.50
      10-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by longress View Post
The steering wheel must be centered during the toe adjustment. The procedure is to start the car and center the steering wheel, shut the car off and lock the steering wheel in this centered position (a special spring lock tool is better then using the cars steering lock as far as accuracy is concerned). Then the toe is adjusted on the tires. If someone is using a string then they have to have good eyes because essentially your sighting down the side of the vehicle making sure the front tires line up with the rear tires. The string is used to determine the toe angle from the center front of the front tires as compared to the center rear of the front tires.

Your toe was not set correctly this is why your steering wheel is off center. I suggest taking it to someone for a proper 4 wheel alignment. The steering angle sensor will most likely need reset using a scan tool to avoid a fault with the DSC but any reputable alignment shop will do this as part of the procedure now a days.
Does the steering wheel being off have to mean your toe is not set properly? If they did not have the wheel centered when they did the toe - could the toe still be correct, but the wheel is off center?
      10-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I ended up taking mine in for an alignment. It was pricey, but worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I plan on removing my steering wheel to clean the cables behind it. When I put it back on, should I install the wheel as straight as possible? Should I get the alignment before or after removing the steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignosejim View Post
How much? Here it's about $60 for an alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Does the steering wheel being off have to mean your toe is not set properly? If they did not have the wheel centered when they did the toe - could the toe still be correct, but the wheel is off center?
My question also
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The total toe can be correct but the steering wheel not centered. So yes your front wheels can be within the proper spec but the reason why the steering wheel is off center is because one tire is toe'd in or toe'd out more than the other side and when you drive down the road both tires automatically equalize their individual toe and in the process turn the steering wheel to the position in which the tires are equally toe'd.

So centering the steering wheel is done by locking it in the center position and then turning the tie rods to bring each tire to an equal toe setting so when you drive down the road the steering wheel stays straight.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #8
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I plan on removing my steering wheel to clean the cables behind it. When I put it back on, should I install the wheel as straight as possible? Should I get the alignment before or after removing the steering wheel?

Quote:
How much? Here it's about $60 for an alignment.

Quote:
My question also
The steering shaft has a blind spline so the steering wheel can only go on in the same position that it came off.
The only way to center it is to adjust the toe so it doesn't matter when you pull the steering wheel with regards to getting an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #9
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

You can have total toe set, but have a pull which causing the steering to be off center when you're rolling if the toe is uneven side to side. You can also have total toe and toe each side correct and have the steering wheel offset if the final adjustment wasn't to center the steering by counter adjusting the tie rods.
      10-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #10
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My alignment was around $300 at an Indy place. It was the only place that could get to me in a reasonable timeframe.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The steering shaft has a blind spline so the steering wheel can only go on in the same position that it came off.
The only way to center it is to adjust the toe so it doesn't matter when you pull the steering wheel with regards to getting an alignment.
Good to know, thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
You can have total toe set, but have a pull which causing the steering to be off center when you're rolling if the toe is uneven side to side. You can also have total toe and toe each side correct and have the steering wheel offset if the final adjustment wasn't to center the steering by counter adjusting the tie rods.
This is something that any shop specialized in alignments should know, right?

Quote:
My alignment was around $300 at an Indy place. It was the only place that could get to me in a reasonable timeframe.
WHAT?! Alignments here go for $50-$100
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:34 PM   #12
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Good to know, thanks again!

This is something that any shop specialized in alignments should know, right?

WHAT?! Alignments here go for $50-$100
Yep, but it's the last step in the process and it gets overlooked sometimes.
      10-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

Hey bud, how goes??? its been a while.

You're on the right track but there are a few more details to the procedure.
Check out the thread I put together on string line setup and alignment.
It's in the M3 section but the procedure is the same.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540077
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 10-12-2018 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #14
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Quote:

Hey bud, how goes??? its been a while.

You're on the right track but there are a few more details to the procedure.
Check out the thread I put together on string line setup and alignment.
It's in the M3 section but the procedure is the same.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540077
Hey Ian,

I checked out your thread and I had no clue of what a string line alignment could be. Outstanding fabrication and a true inspiration for DIYer's!
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2425.50
      10-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #15
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Hey Ian,

I checked out your thread and I had no clue of what a string line alignment could be. Outstanding fabrication and a true inspiration for DIYer's!
Thanks Jack,
Ive been doing this for a long time now.
I've always liked tweaking my track setup, and alignment shops were costing me a fortune.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0