ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Z4 Coupe Full moonroof tops -In process

Since I'm in current tooling construction for Resin Infusion molds for the Z4C's for making a 'BEST' version of Carbon Fiber-(CF) roofs....I decided to double up and ALSO build a high heat mold tool to be used professionally via a Polycarbonate/Acrylic manufacturer.

I have also started the process for a fully adapted inner headliner to be used for >

1)-A Removable OEM metal roof kit.
2)- A removable CF roof kit.
3)-A removable clear/tinted-UV protected OEM appearance roof kit.

Both the kits #2 & #3 will also be able to be mounted permanently as well if so chosen.

Prototype pictures mounted and unmounted will be shown here as soon as its mold tool and one unit is completed -(Pre-production run).

I'd like our true RACE drivers to investigate their component rule books in regards to Polycarbonate in place of glass for track use please.

The glass manufacturer has mentioned great benefits in regards to using a Impact modified UV stable ACRYLIC rather than simply Poly.

Those differences are >>

1)-Poly , although 250 times stronger than glass , can shard under final failure status....becoming dangerous of course. But still able to withstand hits better than a steel roof shear. (open to opinion).

2)-Acrylic (impact modified )...does not shard ,rather under final fail...it shatters into tiny bits, not unlike tempered glass that's OEM in your side glass.

1)-Poly-(with UV coatings)- If the coating becomes scratched through....it cannot be sanded and polished away...nor easily/afford-ably re-coated.

2)-Acrylic -(UV molded)- Has a clearer optic level as well as being able to sand/polish when scuffed/scratched..due to having the UV inhibitor infused in its semi-liquid construction.

1)-Both can be ordered tinted at different levels...however Acrylic is the only one which can also be secondarily tinted from the inside with sheet tints such Llumar and 3M type films to better match your heat resistant and appearance !

In regards to the inner headliner....I believe you'll all like the trim points and how it will look OEM in design and function.

For the kits being ordered with removable roofs....the fastener methods will be intuitive and not time consuming to operate.

Although the OEM roof WILL fit inside the closed hatch of the coupes....this is NOT a safe travel option and therefore should be forbidden and I will not engineer any form of internal holster to hold the roof when stored. Forget it.

Rather...I have engineered a No-external fastener visible Stay-fast canvas temp top for days when a shower comes out of nowhere or your going inside to eat for an hour etc.

This thread is simply an introduction of the project and to share positive thoughts or safety concerns or even just comments towards the goals end.

Once the molds and prototype is installed and kinks worked out with test drives and exposure along with destructive tests....and photographed....I will open things up for orders within regards to all forms of kits.

Thoughts ??

Here is a link to a Mercedes all glass ELECTROMATIC roof....for simply a visual reference. My roofs WILL NOT be ELECTROMATIC...nor would you wish to pay for this in the end....you know it.

(http://www.worldcarfans.com/11010082...ochromic-glass)

Cheers, Vinny
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

I think this is one of the best ideas I've heard of in a long time. Love the idea of a see through top, and the ability to run without one. I'm subscribed.

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Shereef_Osman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC & 89 325is

This should be awesome! Great job man.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
azadian2b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I love you.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB F82, 2018 AW F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadian2b View Post
I love you.
I love him more. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

suscribed!

edit: I know it's still early, but if you has to estimate a pricepoint what would you say...?
      05-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

This is amazing. I wish you the best of luck In developing this, and I look forward to purchasing one
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Subscribed!
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Oh so subscribed!!!
      05-03-2011, 04:04 AM   #10
CobraR1339
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe SG

Bring It !
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
cmark8
M52, M62TU, S50US, S54, S65
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT, E36 Touring MT

why are such magnificent ideas and projects coming up when I'm about to part my car out???

1995 E36 M3 USA / 2002 E46 M3 SMG / 2008 E90 M3 6MT
1996 E36 328i Touring 5MT / 1998 E36 323Ti M Sport 5MT
2002 E39 540i Protection
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKe86 View Post
suscribed!

edit: I know it's still early, but if you has to estimate a price-point what would you say...?
Thanks for the positive energy's everyone.This is going to be involved and costly on the front-side development .

It requires three molds >For the top alone.

1)-Substructure -(as did the OEM)
2)-Top skin.
3)-fastening point reinforcements.

Then it requires two molds for the inner headliner >( As well as liner cloth)

1)-Modified inner -(part that you'll see)
2)-Substructure-(for factory mounting clips)

And then requires molded Urethane or rubber bump-stops....as well as fastener points.

I also have to source a pinch/flexible rubber seal that can attach to an inner aluminum or stainless lip which will replace the OEM removed Urethane sealant/adhesive.

And of course some nice Stainless components for fastening the roof either permanently or temporarily.

As in ALL projects aiming towards production.....price points are being layed out as we speak. Final cost of a kit whether it be CF or OEM or Acrylic/Poly will soon enough be determined.

One thing is for certain.....if I had the manufacturer build the high heat tooling for this process....these would NEVER had come to market ! It would have cost many thousands right out of the gate
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

This Is Amazing!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Subscribed.

I'd make the track version with extra cross-bracing and not removable. Definitely would love to see that!
      05-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Wow, Thank you sir!

This is awesome, I'm in!!!
      05-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #16
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Major props for your initiative on this project.
The talent we have on the forum continues to amaze me!!!!!!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #17
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #18
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

'tis awesomeness. targa top ftw!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #19
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB F82, 2018 AW F86

I am so excited I check this thread twice a day.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #20
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrwalker View Post
I am so excited I check this thread twice a day.
I feel your excitement ! pace yourself though....this is only in the initial work-up for the most part.

Building the high-heat tooling and associated molds will require some time in the details.

I'll post up news/details as they occur...all the way up to the prototype and install.

I'll test the unit fully and report as I go to keep those interested up to date.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #21
azadian2b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

If you plan on doing a removable option then why don't you look into a cold/low heat bend out of sheet acrylic/lexan option instead of high heat injection molding? The piece shouldn't need that much contour if you're building it into a removable frame to lock into a substructure. Then you would only need to make molds for the substructure/frame pieces. I'm just thinking off the design of a removable roof had on a past car.

As it is, you don't want a roof with too much contour (ie. the stock roof bubbles) because you might get weird lensing effects so you might not want to use the same contoured molds you're using for the CF roof.

Just my opinion, I'm very excited for this project.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #22
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadian2b View Post
If you plan on doing a removable option then why don't you look into a cold/low heat bend out of sheet acrylic/lexan option instead of high heat injection molding? The piece shouldn't need that much contour if you're building it into a removable frame to lock into a substructure. Then you would only need to make molds for the substructure/frame pieces. I'm just thinking off the design of a removable roof had on a past car.

As it is, you don't want a roof with too much contour (ie. the stock roof bubbles) because you might get weird lensing effects so you might not want to use the same contoured molds you're using for the CF roof.

Just my opinion, I'm very excited for this project.
I'm unsure where you picked up the thought that this clear roof was being Injection Molded ?

Perhaps you are confusing Resin Infusion, which is how I'll be doing the CF parts....but not the Poly or Acrylic portions.

Regarding the removal of the double-bubble design que's.....I personally feel that is one of the coolest lines of the coupes.But having a smooth roof could be considered...although I wouldn't want that on my personal coupe.

Will there be unusual lensing of the optics in those zones ? Perhaps.....but doing a shapeless convex (otherwise flat) roof might be quite boring...or at the worst lose personality.

It would certainly require a much thicker/heavier layer of product as well. The Double-bubble actually adds strength to the otherwise flexy shape.

I have two of the coupes steel roofs to work with currently. If you've looked/studied the substructure's enough....one will note they are twisty and flexy even made from steel.

Either way...molds must be built to hold current given tolerances for fit.

High heat molds must be used in that the Poly/Acrylic has to reach a specific temperature in order to take complete form accurately along with a vacuum environment due to the convex bowl-like shape and double-bubble accents.

I'll have one series of molds for the Clear roofs.....and a full other series for the CF components.

Yet another set for the interior headliners.
Appreciate 0