ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #23
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
It was 20 years ago. We would drive an hour outside of the city to an industrial area. There was no one else on the streets but a bunch of kids in lowered economy cars. We'd watch them do 15sec+ 1/4 miles, smoke Marlboros because that's what grown men do, and looked under hoods and pretended that colored spark plug wires made cars faster until 5-0 showed up and we'd all scramble towards our 120hp rockets to get away. Cheap fiberglass bumpers would get destroyed as we sped off on uneven pavement, fart cans farting, city lights twinkling in the night. My oversized rear view mirror gave me the situational awareness needed to escape, vTec and a 7 second 0-60 gave me the speed, hours of Gran Turismo 1 gave me the skill. My Momo shift knob ensured every shift was precise and quick, the holes in our rear bumpers made us light and agile, I turned the AC off to divert all power to the front wheels where I needed it. We thought it was pretty cool... at the time.
I can appreciate this instead of being a bigger dumbass on crowded streets during the day. I'm guessing you guys are still lucky nobody got injured or in serious legal trouble. I know I and my friends are from are youth being idiots behind the wheel..............
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #24
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Nah, they were racing. When they get pissed off because they were beat more than once, they are racing. Have no clue what's under most of their hoods and could care less. If they beat me, they beat me, I'll smile and wave no big deal; it's all in fun. I will say that some of it could possibly be because of the driver as well. Not saying I'm a pro-driver by any stretch but not saying they are either. Case in point, I got smoked by an old Lincoln LS just last week driven by a girl half my age, but the girlfriend and I raced a Nissan 350z (heavily modded) Saturday night and out the 2 races he didn't come close, took him off the line the first go around and second was a rolling start.
So we go from Mustangs to a 350z lol ok apples to oranges different story guy
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #25
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Case in point, I got smoked by an old Lincoln LS just last week driven by a girl half my age...
I call bullshit. There's no way you are in your 30s.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #26
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Whatever....if it has wheels and the driver has a heavy foot, it's all the same to me.
Get a Prius
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #27
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Never said that I was in my 30's, 40's actually.
Interesting. In all seriousness, I wouldn't have put you a day past 19 judging from your posts...but you're likely someone who would take that as a compliment.

Carry on.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #28
thasuperdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I think what folks are saying with out saying it is, stop racing on the streets. You're an adult, take it to an auto-x or a track night at your local drag strip. But don't brag about illegal street racing publicly and expect not to piss off a lot of other folks.

Simply, grow up and be respectful. There might be a person crossing a road at any hour and it's not up to you take their lives from them. It will catch up with you at some point.

Call what name you want, don't care. I do care about the innocent people you potentially will encounter with your front-end.
      06-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #29
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasuperdude View Post
I think what folks are saying with out saying it is, stop racing on the streets. You're an adult, take it to an auto-x or a track night at your local drag strip. But don't brag about illegal street racing publicly and expect not to piss off a lot of other folks.

Simply, grow up and be respectful. There might be a person crossing a road at any hour and it's not up to you take their lives from them. It will catch up with you at some point.

Call what name you want, don't care. I do care about the innocent people you potentially will encounter with your front-end.
I think what you don't understand is that I am not illegal street racing. Yes, I am an adult and so are 90% of the people "racing" with me. I agree with what is being stated about pedestrians as I stated the same thing above, "no one is being endangered." I'm not actually racing people through the streets or high foot traffic areas. I think people's perception of what is actually happening is misunderstood. The original thread was titled "Cars that you mess with on the road based on what cars models" or something to that effect. I made a joking reference to mustangs and challengers. A moderator separated the original post to what this thread has become. In no way am I bragging about street racing, we were originally talking about singling out, or picking on people based off what they drive. In no way do I condone this either, my response was purely in jest. As far as racing goes, there is a section of road here where people will try to pass other cars in the right lane before the right lane merges into the left. This is where 90% of my discussion in this thread takes place. In no way am I condoning street racing or acting as is if I am trying be "Fast and Furious." If this is the image that I have portrayed by participating JOKINGLY in this thread then I regret it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #30
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thasuperdude View Post

Big difference between street racing in traffic & at 2 am on vacant backwoods roads with no one around for miles.

Not saying I do either, just stating a fact that gets overlooked.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      06-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #31
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Hey! Yes turning off the AC gives your engine your full HP back.

As an example, say you got a FBO 335i pushing 380hp, having the AC, seat belts buckled in, radio on, headlights on, doors lock and horn enabled will use up roughly 60hp. So most people will turn all that off so they have all their hp. And when you end up gutting your car and adding a roll bar and dog cage inside, the weight reduction adds 60 horsepower. So it all depends on how much horsepower you want. I've at times just put my cat cage in my trunk for the extra 20 horsepower.

Hope this helps!!
      06-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #32
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Lot of condescending preaching going on in here.
King Rudi13154.00
      06-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #33
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
It was 20 years ago. We would drive an hour outside of the city to an industrial area. There was no one else on the streets but a bunch of kids in lowered economy cars. We'd watch them do 15sec+ 1/4 miles, smoke Marlboros because that's what grown men do, and looked under hoods and pretended that colored spark plug wires made cars faster until 5-0 showed up and we'd all scramble towards our 120hp rockets to get away. Cheap fiberglass bumpers would get destroyed as we sped off on uneven pavement, fart cans farting, city lights twinkling in the night. My oversized rear view mirror gave me the situational awareness needed to escape, vTec and a 7 second 0-60 gave me the speed, hours of Gran Turismo 1 gave me the skill. My Momo shift knob ensured every shift was precise and quick, the holes in our rear bumpers made us light and agile, I turned the AC off to divert all power to the front wheels where I needed it. We thought it was pretty cool... at the time.
So true.....and basically sparked the Fast n Furious films, the early ones at least. They have since gotten utterly ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #34
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
So true.....and basically sparked the Fast n Furious films, the early ones at least. They have since gotten utterly ridiculous.
Both the films and the street racing scene. The FnF series has introduced street racing to the mainstream, which isn't that bad in itself except they've become even bigger and more reckless with more people acting fools rather than racing. They've infested the cars and coffee scene as well, jeopardizing car enthusiast meets into being banned because they want to show off how hard they can put their foot on the gas and burn their tires. This type of behavior wasn't new when FnF came out, but it's certainly grown exponentially.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #35
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Both the films and the street racing scene. The FnF series has introduced street racing to the mainstream, which isn't that bad in itself except they've become even bigger and more reckless with more people acting fools rather than racing. They've infested the cars and coffee scene as well, jeopardizing car enthusiast meets into being banned because they want to show off how hard they can put their foot on the gas and burn their tires. This type of behavior wasn't new when FnF came out, but it's certainly grown exponentially.
Yeah..I never get a race..maybe they see my firestone firehawk tires and know I drink corn and bow out..but as a sidenote..where have you been in the political threads..yeah, I notice.
Rokoz293.00
      06-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #36
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Quote:
Yeah..I never get a race..maybe they see my firestone firehawk tires and know I drink corn and bow out..but as a sidenote..where have you been in the political threads..yeah, I notice.
Lol Life is too short to get worked up over political views. I found myself not enjoying the banter as much so I left for my sake and the sake of the Subforum. I'm sure it's doing fine without me

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #37
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

first time i've seen a thread start with a random quote.

i love chargers/challengers at the track. slow as hell. slower than some miatas.
      06-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #38
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Srt's made me go to stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #39
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Lol Life is too short to get worked up over political views. I found myself not enjoying the banter as much so I left for my sake and the sake of the Subforum. I'm sure it's doing fine without me
No..we...I..MISS YOU.
jmg18658.50
      06-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #40
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:

Did you guys tell pizza boy that the road was closed and he had to find another way home?
Appreciate 1
Rokoz293.00
      06-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #41
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

This thread is like an unbalanced washing machine.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #42
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Bottom line?

Real men don't race on public streets. Period. Real men let the boys in Hellcats, Mustangs, Challengers, or what have you zoom by because natural selection will take care of them in due course.

#GetATrackToyAlready
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #43
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Bottom line?

Real men don't race on public streets. Period. Real men let the boys in Hellcats, Mustangs, Challengers, or what have you zoom by because natural selection will take care of them in due course.

#GetATrackToyAlready
This is based off personal experience and what I have seen on a consistent basis in my area locally:

I recently replaced my e92 with a Lexus GSF. Love this car, it’s perfect for my needs. Production run is 2k per MY, so it’s very rare if you ever see one. I’m driving down I10 and a red charger cruises up next to me and starts revving his engine to get me to race. I looked at him and then looked back to driving, he hits the gas and pulls off ahead of me. I’ve had this happen on numerous occasions with specifically Chargers, Challengers and Camaros. Haven’t had issues with Mustangs idk why. I never engage because these people are clearly of low intelligence. Being such a low production car makes it stick out compared to say a BMW M5, which to the average person, looks like every other BMW. Not hating, just a perspective validated by the wife: She saw a F10 M5 and I showed her the new M5, and she said “I don’t get it, they look like every other BMW.”

Also, being Texas, I get tailgated a lot by jacked up trucks that feel they can do as they please because their vehicle is much larger. It’s just the mindset down here though.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #44
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
This is based off personal experience and what I have seen on a consistent basis in my area locally:

I recently replaced my e92 with a Lexus GSF. Love this car, it’s perfect for my needs. Production run is 2k per MY, so it’s very rare if you ever see one. I’m driving down I10 and a red charger cruises up next to me and starts revving his engine to get me to race. I looked at him and then looked back to driving, he hits the gas and pulls off ahead of me. I’ve had this happen on numerous occasions with specifically Chargers, Challengers and Camaros. Haven’t had issues with Mustangs idk why. I never engage because these people are clearly of low intelligence. Being such a low production car makes it stick out compared to say a BMW M5, which to the average person, looks like every other BMW. Not hating, just a perspective validated by the wife: She saw a F10 M5 and I showed her the new M5, and she said “I don’t get it, they look like every other BMW.”

Also, being Texas, I get tailgated a lot by jacked up trucks that feel they can do as they please because their vehicle is much larger. It’s just the mindset down here though.
Why the fuck would anyone want to try to race a Lexus GS? LOL

Your wife isn't 100% wrong. BMW styling is pretty bland. Same with Audi. By bland I mean their performance variants need to stand out a lot more than they do now IMO. But then it just gives em a little sleeper factor if you don't see the badge.
Appreciate 0