ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Another Guy looking to change his Z4M suspension

I've read all the threads and talked to a bunch of people. Looks like it's come down to KW V3's or PSS10's for my back road carving. I'm not tracking the Z4M roadster so....... not sure if investing MORE is worth it (!?!!). Thoughts?!

In my E30 M3 my coilover and suspension setup was track oriented and saying it was hard was a bit of an understatement. My wife hated that car. But I could live with harder setups if something popped up on the used market worth pursuing ........ just saying.

I also am coming to realize that "used" Z4M coilover setups seem to rarely come up. So buying a generally used set requires a pant-load of patience. Something I'm also considering as the list of "to-do's" this summer is growing. Anyone see anything gently used lately being dumped or anyone considering ???
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

I'm in the same boat as well. Have you checked out Fortune Auto? They have a huge thread on E46 forum. They have some lower end setup and up to competition modular suspension. I know they're not popular here but seems like a good coilover for the money. They came standard with charts, camber plates, digressive valving, spherical mount, swift springs and customized spring rate with 5 year warranty for about $2000 new. I know nothing about coilovers though. lol. I've done some reading but can someone explain these?

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
I highly recommend the KW V3. Spent a week in my friends Z4MC on V3s and it is the proper setup for the street, hands down.

My car runs the KW Clubsport package and it is a bit unsettling, firm and noisy by comparison... it sure does hook up on the track though.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'm still looking to do this. Been a very busy summer so still haven't pulled the trigger yet.

My car came from the PO with BC Racing coilovers. My mechanic says that I can do a lot better. I think I need to do some more homework on them before spending money and ditching them. I know a few people using BC Racing setups that are pretty happy for back road carving.

And over the summer, very few used setups for the M have popped up for sale on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
I'm still looking to do this. Been a very busy summer so still haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Are you planning on doing them, yourself?

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

I've tracked the living hell out of my car this year (almost 18 weekend events) and the stock suspension is just excellent. I spoke with a bunch of other local owners and instructors, and they all seem to agree that springs-only is a great option for track guys whose M dampers are in good condition.

Consider getting a set of H&R lowering springs, save some $$$ and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Wow. I'm in the same boat.

I know there are cheaper options (like just springs) but my problem is that I dont take the second best option when it comes to certain things. And the other problem with me is that I'm not sure if I'll be tracking it or not. Knowing me, I'll end up tracking it one day and regret not getting something like the KW's when I do.

I would however be open to getting a used set. The car isnt brand new so I dont care about getting a new set of KW's.

With that said, I'm still trying to make sure the KW's are the best option. I know there are much better options as well, but for a street/track setup, this seems to be the best from all that I've read.
      10-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #8
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Quote:
I've read all the threads and talked to a bunch of people. Looks like it's come down to KW V3's or PSS10's for my back road carving. I'm not tracking the Z4M roadster so....... not sure if investing MORE is worth it (!?!!). Thoughts?!

In my E30 M3 my coilover and suspension setup was track oriented and saying it was hard was a bit of an understatement. My wife hated that car. But I could live with harder setups if something popped up on the used market worth pursuing ........ just saying.

I also am coming to realize that "used" Z4M coilover setups seem to rarely come up. So buying a generally used set requires a pant-load of patience. Something I'm also considering as the list of "to-do's" this summer is growing. Anyone see anything gently used lately being dumped or anyone considering ???
Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit & Eibach Pro-Kit Springs Installed....
Replaced OEM front control arms with BMW ZHP performance control arms, OEM front control arm bushings, all new spring pads, strut support guides and bearings....front lowered 3/4 inch & rear 3/8 inch....4 wheel alignment....performed by Eastside Bavarian - Eric the Tech's acumen, detail, thoroughness and precision is awesome....

First impressions....the visual change is freaking awesome....the seat time reveals it feels like it's on rails....freaking awesome.
OZ Rims / Bilstein B8 Struts & Shocks / Eibach Pro-Kit Springs / ZHP Control Arms / RE Diablo Exhaust / RPi Air Intake / BMC Air Filter / CDV / 3M Paint Protection / TMS CF Grilles / TK CF Mirrors / Skyer CF Spoiler / CF Antenna / RE Trans Mounts / M Pedals & Dead Pedal / WeissLicht LED Rear Turn Signal Lamps / #748 of 3,041
Appreciate 0
EDIT
+"
03-25-2017, 08:21 AM #11
racerbruce
Racerbruce
REP
Drives: 2007 Z4MR Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post
B12s? That a set of Eibach pro springs and Bilstien B8 Performance Plus shocks right?
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=RWD
OZ Rims / Bilstein B8 Struts & Shocks / Eibach Pro-Kit Springs / ZHP Control Arms / RE Diablo Exhaust / RPi Air Intake / BMC Air Filter / CDV / 3M Paint Protection / TMS CF Grilles / TK CF Mirrors / Skyer CF Spoiler / CF Antenna / RE Trans Mounts / M Pedals & Dead Pedal / WeissLicht LED Rear Turn Signal Lamps / #748 of 3,041
      10-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #9
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

@Racerbruce - Pictures or it never happened

@Salty - going to install myself. I have the OEM setup sitting in a box and very tempted to go back to that setup for now. Someone told me that Z4M coilovers fit E36 BMW's. I know that BC Racing rears have BMW E36 noted right on them. Haven't checked the fronts yet. If so, definitely would consider selling them.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC367.50
      10-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
@Racerbruce - Pictures or it never happened

@Salty - going to install myself. I have the OEM setup sitting in a box and very tempted to go back to that setup for now. Someone told me that Z4M coilovers fit E36 BMW's. I know that BC Racing rears have BMW E36 noted right on them. Haven't checked the fronts yet. If so, definitely would consider selling them.
The Z4M front is the same as the E36M3 front except for the length.
The Z4M are a little shorter.

Some Coilover mfgs use the same strut for both cars
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #11
Eau_Rouge111
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i and 2007 Z4M Coupe

I have KW V3 on order for my Z4M Coupe...have them in my 128i daily driver...love them so it was a no brainer to order them for the Z
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #12
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

The V3s are great .. I've really enjoyed mine on the street and track.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 04:26 AM   #13
Over it
Mad Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
The Z4M front is the same as the E36M3 front except for the length.
The Z4M are a little shorter.

Some Coilover mfgs use the same strut for both cars
1" shorter IIRC
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #14
JayL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, X3

Quote:
I also am coming to realize that "used" Z4M coilover setups seem to rarely come up.
I have a set of KW V3 coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates and adjustable end links available if you're still looking.
      11-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

@JayL PM'ed you
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #16
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Did you ever gotten your suspension done? What did you end up getting.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #17
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Nope. Haven't worked on it at all. Still kicking around ideas as to what I will do, including the possibility of playing further with the BC setup for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #18
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
I'm in the same boat as well. Have you checked out Fortune Auto? They have a huge thread on E46 forum. They have some lower end setup and up to competition modular suspension. I know they're not popular here but seems like a good coilover for the money. They came standard with charts, camber plates, digressive valving, spherical mount, swift springs and customized spring rate with 5 year warranty for about $2000 new. I know nothing about coilovers though. lol. I've done some reading but can someone explain these?
The more I read about Fortune Auto the more I am impressed by what you get for the money. They seem very quality. Good reviews on the e46 forum too. I'm thinking about trying the Mullers as they come with swift springs and radial bearings. And I'm not a fan of the neon green of the 500s.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #19
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Due to the fact that I am on the market for new suspension, how are the KW V3's in contrast with the OEM? I don't want to sacrifice the comfort level of the stock suspension even for something that has better driving quality. The roads here are to bumpy to handle it.
Is there a suspension that is maybe even more comfortable than the OEM one?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #20
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
Due to the fact that I am on the market for new suspension, how are the KW V3's in contrast with the OEM? I don't want to sacrifice the comfort level of the stock suspension even for something that has better driving quality. The roads here are to bumpy to handle it.
Is there a suspension that is maybe even more comfortable than the OEM one?
I found that the KW V3's smoothed out the harshness of the stock suspension. I also felt that the car would squat and release smoother than stock suspension. Overall I found that it was an improvement in all aspects.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 1
FD3S69.50