ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #23
///Rage
I love ///M
England
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post
There's a company here in the states called VAC Motorsports that makes seat mounting plates that you need to get. EAS also sells one by Macht Schnell... I'm not positive they have a Z4 fitment for them tho, you have to ask. I know VAC have a Z4 specific plate.

http://www.europeanautosource.com/in...78e1926a25eb50

So you need the mounting plates, AND the recaro side plates... The EAS ones look nice because they also have that bolt on plate for your lap harness.

So you bolt in the plates to your car, then the seat side plates down to the floor plate... You need to use 12.9 Socket Head Cap screw Allen Head Bolts, and make sure you get hardened steel washers for them all as well.
Ok thanks.

So explain this to me like im an idiot.

Step 1) Buy Recaro pole positions with sidemounts.

Step2) Buy VAC floor mount adaptors for Z4

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...vacmotors&All=

Step 3) Remove oems and install VAC floor mount adaptor

Step 4) Install recaro sidemounts to VAC floor mount adaptor

Step 5) Install recaro seats to recaro sidemounts.

Then deal with airbag issues and fiancee dissaproval of race seats

Correct?

If in the end I decide to go for the cobra suzukas (or Bride Zeta III) is the above still correct?.....just substitute suzuka + suzuka sidemounts for recaros + recaro sidemounts?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #24
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Exactly.... You'll need to figure out the following as well :

1. How you're going to mount your OEM seat belt end and seat belt buckle to the floor plates.

::: I'm making some 1/4" thick chromoly tabs that will bolt into the sides of the floor mounts that these will bolt to.

2. You'll need new seat belt buckles ( Female end with the red button )

::: I ordered a pair from an E30 M3 that don't have the firing pin mechanism.

3. How you're going to mount your harnesses to the car.

::: I'm building a harness bar for the shoulder belts to loop around, then I'm bolting the sub straps directly to the floor, and on my floor mounts I drilled and tapped holes for the lap belt eyelets for the lap belts to click on to, so I can take them out for street use and use my OEM seat belt.

Alot of work huh ??? hahaha Hence I haven't driven my car in 3 weeks....

Oh yeah... don't do Brides... I've heard I'm even blaspheming for using Cobra's and not Recaro's... hahahhaa
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #25
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

Alright, so after talking with some people, I think I'm about to attempt to use the stock seat belt buckles ( with the firing mech ) and disassemble the passenger seat to get the occupancy mat out.

I just think that it'll be better to do this and not have to deal with codes or the possibility of the airbags not functioning properly which wouldn't be worth anyone's life, heaven forbid.

Wish me luck... I'm going in there !!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #26
V8convert
Private
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the perfect V8

Goodluck

Please keep us updated. Id be interested to see your custom floor mount adaptors too...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #27
///Rage
I love ///M
England
Rep

Yeah please keep this thread updated.

I would like to keep my oem seatbelts and avoid any airbag issues if possible when I change my seats.

If it goes well would you consider selling your custom mounts?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #28
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

K guys....

I just got it out !!!!

I'm gonna be honest with you though... it's not a job for the faint of heart ! You don't really "destroy" the seat, you could put it all back together if need be, as you only need to cut out the upholstery clips and cut the wires to the seat belt clip as they pre-wire them through a small metal bracket before the connector ends are put on. I can just wire them back together though and heat shrink it so they'll be good to go.

To be honest, I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders because I'm really doing this right by using the stock parts and not piecing it together with resistors and crap and then dealing with any codes, etc.

I'll post a few pics in a bit, just going to put this seat back together before the wife gets home so she's none the wiser !!!!

B
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #29
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

Here's a couple shots of the seat brackets I built.... This is the outside driver bracket ( the one that goes next to the door. The inside bracket is a lot narrower than this one, same width as the center section tho. it's also longer and has an eye bolt at the back for the lap harness.

They're 3/4" thick ( 20 mm ) 6061 Aluminum like the VAC ones... I used countersunk bolts at the back of then so it's stronger that the milled down style on the front bolts. ( had to do it as the studs welded to the car are only so long, and you have to put nuts on them ).

You can see the 4130 chromoly steel upside-down "T" bracket I made for the OEM seat belt to anchor to. Then the big eye bolt for the lap harness to clip to when I use them. I'll take some more pics and post them as soon as I get a chance....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #30
///Rage
I love ///M
England
Rep

Looks fantastic.

keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #31
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Looks great, something you can replicate and offer for sale fora nominal fee? Any way to add some weight removal holes to the design?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #32
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

I don't know about the legal issues and safety ramifications with manufacturing these... to be honest, I don't really want to pursue selling them.

As far as weight savings... this one outside plate weighs in at 2.7 lbs so far. I'm going to hog out some alloy along the bottom center ( the skinny section ), but only after I figure out how to mount the sub straps. The other side was 2.1 lbs.... I don't know what the VAC's weigh, but I'm confident these are lighter than them already.

Originally I was just going to weld plates to the floor pan, and bolt them directly to the car, but I might make a cross bar between the plates I made and mount them to that instead so I don't have to drill holes and weld to the car. Still contemplating what I'm gonna do....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #33
///Rage
I love ///M
England
Rep

Any updates? Are the seats fitted?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #34
sixspeed
Z4M CSL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4M Coupe

Only just got linked to this thread. That's my car with the Recaro PPs and colour-coded backs...

A few more pics for you:

Sorry the quality of the pictures is rather poor - they were taken with a mobile phone. I will get some better quality ones up if people are interested.
      08-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #35
sixspeed
Z4M CSL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4M Coupe

Only just got linked to this thread. That's my car with the Recaro PPs and colour-coded backs...

A few more pics for you:

Sorry the quality of the pictures is rather poor - they were taken with a mobile phone. I will get some better quality ones up if people are interested.
      04-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #36
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post
K guys....

I just got it out !!!!

I'm gonna be honest with you though... it's not a job for the faint of heart ! You don't really "destroy" the seat, you could put it all back together if need be, as you only need to cut out the upholstery clips and cut the wires to the seat belt clip as they pre-wire them through a small metal bracket before the connector ends are put on. I can just wire them back together though and heat shrink it so they'll be good to go.

To be honest, I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders because I'm really doing this right by using the stock parts and not piecing it together with resistors and crap and then dealing with any codes, etc.

I'll post a few pics in a bit, just going to put this seat back together before the wife gets home so she's none the wiser !!!!

B
I hate to bump a thread from 5+ years ago, but after research, this seems to be the best info out there. If you are still around (or if anyone else knows), the OEM seat belt receptacles CAN be used with an aftermarket seat, provided that you have a place to mount the receptacle to? And the wiring for the seat belt sensors, can be removed from the stock seats?

So, I could buy this floor mount adapter and these lap belt tabs, and be able to use my stock receptacle (female end with red button), with wiring, to safely have the car know when the seatbelt is connected, right?

I assume that there is a single harness that goes from the car to the seat? Correct me if I am wrong please. So I would have to figure out what pins on that harness to connect to the stock belt wires? Or is it a separate harness for the seat belt?

I will be installing seats in my car over the next couple weeks so I'm just trying to get this all figured out.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 10:59 PM   #37
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

looks bloody great mate, more shots please