ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #23
Z4-3.0-4Me
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0

Just purchased a 2003 Z4 3.0, six speed, and spent the last 2 - 3 weeks cleaning it up, changing fluids, ordering and installing a few replacement parts (e.g. air filter, cowl, fog light assy), and detailing the car. It looks great and runs as smooth as silk, although the run-flats are pretty brutal. However, the upper LH corner of the windshield is missing an L-shaped piece (~2" X 2") that seems to match an identical piece on the upper RH corner. Each of those L-shaped pieces join the upper center strip to the descending seals on their respective side.

The BMW parts diagram shows only large L-shaped rubber sealing sections that meet in the upper middle of the windshield, make a 90-degree bend at the upper corners and drop down to the base of the windshield on each side; no separate corner pieces. Each piece is listed in the mid-$300+ range. Seems excessive for a windshield surround. Has anyone else encountered separate corner pieces like the ones I'm seeing? If so, where can they be obtained?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #24
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

If it makes you feel any better, I cracked my windshield the first time I ever changed wiper blades (not on the Z4). I lifted up the wiper arm, pulled the blade off, and then the metal arm snapped back onto the windshield. Boy was I surprised that those things don't stay in place unless you pull it ALL the way out I was so upset at myself for months, but now I just laugh about how stupid my young self was.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #25
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I cracked my windshield the first time I ever changed wiper blades (not on the Z4). I lifted up the wiper arm, pulled the blade off, and then the metal arm snapped back onto the windshield. Boy was I surprised that those things don't stay in place unless you pull it ALL the way out I was so upset at myself for months, but now I just laugh about how stupid my young self was.
I feel slightly better.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #26
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Which glass did you go for?
I got my windshield cracked. Bmw quote $1100+.
Local windshield shop( good reputation) quoted $750 BMW OEM glass with labor. They told me there is no after market windshield for the Z4 (rain sensor)...so my insurance paid for OEM. I always get low comprehensive deductible which covers Windshield.

Rear view mirror - I had that issue too lol.
Got it fixed from Texas shop...radarmirror.
$100 for 1 yr warranty.
$120 for lifetime...I went With lifetime warranty...flawless job.
Bit of misinformation from your glass shop I think. There are some aftermarket units out there but getting your hands on them is tough. I know of at least 3 varieties:
1. Safelite one which is readily available and costs about 400 installed
2. FY glass which is in the middle of the road, I have heard mixd reviews on it and my glass guy wanted 400 installed for it
3. Sekurit is the one I got and is used as an OEM on some BMW models; my glass guy did the work for 450 installed

Just an FYI all 3 varieties did come with the rain sensor bracket. Note none of the windshields come with the actual sensor. The sensor is a piece that snaps into the windshield. Same as mirror base plate, it comes with the new windshield.

Appreciate 1
gds52886.00
      10-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #27
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-3.0-4Me View Post
... However, the upper LH corner of the windshield is missing an L-shaped piece (~2" X 2") that seems to match an identical piece on the upper RH corner. Each of those L-shaped pieces join the upper center strip to the descending seals on their respective side. ...
Should be one U-shaped piece that goes all the way around for about $30-$35.
Part #2 here.
      10-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #28
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
Bit of misinformation from your glass shop I think. There are some aftermarket units out there but getting your hands on them is tough. I know of at least 3 varieties:
1. Safelite one which is readily available and costs about 400 installed
2. FY glass which is in the middle of the road, I have heard mixd reviews on it and my glass guy wanted 400 installed for it
3. Sekurit is the one I got and is used as an OEM on some BMW models; my glass guy did the work for 450 installed

Just an FYI all 3 varieties did come with the rain sensor bracket. Note none of the windshields come with the actual sensor. The sensor is a piece that snaps into the windshield. Same as mirror base plate, it comes with the new windshield.
That's interesting to know and actually worked in my favor, otherwise I would have to shell out the difference between aftermarket and OEM glass.
The shop may not have access to aftermarket glass, but the shop is very famous and does great work. They clearly told me, there is no after market glass available for this car.
and yes, the rain sensor is separate device.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #29
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-3.0-4Me View Post
Just purchased a 2003 Z4 3.0, six speed, and spent the last 2 - 3 weeks cleaning it up, changing fluids, ordering and installing a few replacement parts (e.g. air filter, cowl, fog light assy), and detailing the car. It looks great and runs as smooth as silk, although the run-flats are pretty brutal. However, the upper LH corner of the windshield is missing an L-shaped piece (~2" X 2") that seems to match an identical piece on the upper RH corner. Each of those L-shaped pieces join the upper center strip to the descending seals on their respective side.

The BMW parts diagram shows only large L-shaped rubber sealing sections that meet in the upper middle of the windshield, make a 90-degree bend at the upper corners and drop down to the base of the windshield on each side; no separate corner pieces. Each piece is listed in the mid-$300+ range. Seems excessive for a windshield surround. Has anyone else encountered separate corner pieces like the ones I'm seeing? If so, where can they be obtained?
If you are talking about the outside seal around the sides and top of the windshield, it is a single piece as mentioned above. If yours has extra pieces at the corners, it makes me wonder if the previous owner tried to make their own gasket.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #30
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Couple of things from my experience replacing the windshield on my M 4 years ago.
  • I specifically asked for OEM Sekurit glass and the installer showed up with Chinese glass
  • When held up to the sky, the Chinese glass was full of waves
  • Demand to see the glass and the brand stamp before it is installed
  • When the installer brought the Sekurit windshield on the next visit he brought the rubber windshield surround
  • I returned the one that I had bought in anticipation of wanting a new one installed. It was not an expensive item ($30 or so).
  • I'm not impressed with the Sekurit glass. I don't think it was ever crystal clear and it now at 4 years old it is showing its age.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #31
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Couple of things from my experience replacing the windshield on my M 4 years ago.
  • I specifically asked for OEM Sekurit glass and the installer showed up with Chinese glass
  • When held up to the sky, the Chinese glass was full of waves
  • Demand to see the glass and the brand stamp before it is installed
  • When the installer brought the Sekurit windshield on the next visit he brought the rubber windshield surround
  • I returned the one that I had bought in anticipation of wanting a new one installed. It was not an expensive item ($30 or so).
  • I'm not impressed with the Sekurit glass. I don't think it was ever crystal clear and it now at 4 years old it is showing its age.
good call on the trim. I purchased one knowing mine was shot. I also need to replace the cowl at some point as it was chipped during the install but thats a 300 dollar piece for a cosmetic trim.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #32
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
... I also need to replace the cowl at some point as it was chipped during the install but thats a 300 dollar piece for a cosmetic trim.
If it hasn't already, wait to replace the cowl until it rats out from sun/age.
It will.
Bigly.
      10-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #33
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
If it hasn't already, wait to replace the cowl until it rats out from sun/age.
It will.
Bigly.
It is getting there but the cracks are not UUUUUUge yet

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #34
Rolesr1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe, Imola red

The second day I had my mcoupe my windshield picked up a stone chip. My glass guy asked if I had a OE rider on my insurance policy. My agent was nice enough to let me add the OE rider AFTER the damage. This only costs a few extra bucks a year and allows me to have the glass replaced with OE which I plan to do next spring when it comes out of storage.
Appreciate 0