ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

From Amish to Nuclear: A Z4 Tour of the Lancaster, PA Area

With work keeping me very busy these days, only now have I had the chance to write up my last road trip from 2 weeks ago. The area surrounding Lancaster, PA is perhaps most famous for its Amish and Mennonite residents. My goal, however, was the usual: fun roads, pretty scenery, and interesting historical sites.

My point of departure was Columbia, PA, which is right on the banks of our old friend the Susquehanna River. This town merits a much lengthier visit, as it is steeped in history. The area was originally the home of the Native American Susquehannocks (whose name apparently means "People of the Muddy River"). John Wright settled here in 1726 and started Wright's Ferry. By the early 1830s, Wright's Ferry and its competitors were replaced by a covered bridge that was more than a mile long—the longest in the world, as it happened (and now long gone).

On a rainy morning, the middle of downtown Columbia was not exactly jumping with activity.

The First National Bank of Columbia still stands, although its banking days have been over for many years. It started life as the private resident of John Wright, Jr. in 1814 and later served as a tavern, hotel, and another residence before becoming a bank (founded by Daniel Detwiler). The bank had loaned over $100,000 for the construction of the covered bridge. During Robert E. Lee's march into Pennsylvania in 1863, General Jubal Early tried to capture the bridge—but it was burned by the townspeople of Columbia under orders from Union forces. With his way into Pennsylvania blocked, General Early was forced to detour—and arrived in Gettysburg soon thereafter... The bank, incidentally, never recovered its loss from the Federal government.

I forgot to mention that the weather outlook had been just fine for this particular Sunday, but it was raining from the moment I stepped out of my house. Fortunately, even a wet BMW Z4 makes for a handsome machine.

John Wright's other son, James, built the "Wright's Ferry Mansion" in 1738. It's the oldest building in Columbia and is now a museum.

Outside of Columbia, the Susquehanna was shrouded in mist...

...and numerous abandoned houses beckoned intriguingly.

Even the streams seemed abandoned, and this one offered a word of warning to boaters and fishermen. And remember the original Susquehannocks? As settlers took over the area bordering the Susquehanna, they moved to several small Indian villages near here. Once numbering in the thousands, the last of the tribe was "massacred by the Paxton Boys in December 1763," as a roadside sign stated. The peaceful Native Americans were first attacked in their stream-side villages. Only 14 of them survived, and they were moved by Governor William Penn to protective custody in Lancaster—and were found there by the Paxton Boys, who murdered these remaining few on the spot. Not all U.S. history stirs feelings of pride and patriotism.

Moving closer to Lancaster, I encountered large farms just about everywhere. Most of them were Amish or Mennonite, since farming remains the primary livelihood for people of these denominations.

Eventually, the rain stopped, and the skies tried their best to clear up.

There were very old farms and dwellings all along my route. Some were so scenic that they cried out to be pictured on calendars, postcards, book covers, etc. It would be wonderful to live in such a home ... well, maybe until winter hit!

This imposing barn rose up out of the mist, so I stopped for a picture. It's part of an Amish farm, and, as I took my pictures, a couple of friendly dogs appeared—a large setter and a very small schnauzer or some such. Of course, the Amish don't like to have their picture taken, but I was hoping the owners wouldn't mind if I photographed their roadside barn. No one appeared or asked me to forgo the pictures. However, when I got back into the Z4, the friendly dogs literally got halfway into the car with me—but immediately ran off when I reached for the camera to take their picture! (Who knew that Amish dogs were camera-shy??)

Speaking of the Amish, I soon realized that I was on one of their "thoroughfares." When I stopped a little later for another landscape picture, group after group of them bicycled by, all with a friendly wave.

Churchtown, PA lived up to its name. The Bangor Episcopal Church was my favorite. Founded in 1722, the current stone church was built in 1830 and still has services every Sunday.

And what's a church without a scenic graveyard?

Did I mention the historic homes that were dotted all over this area? This is "Chalmers Close Farm" from about 1740.

I didn't have time to tour the Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site (next time!), but I couldn't resist this peculiar-but-thriving tree.

As my path wandered on, I arrived in Birdsboro, PA. I needed a picture of the mighty Schuylkill River, naturally, and I found this one without much trouble:

More interestingly, while crossing the long bridge over the river, I spotted a narrow turn—right off of the bridge. Now I ask you, how often is there a sharp turn onto another road while you're in the middle of a bridge? Needless to say, I had to investigate. The aptly named "Bridge Road" went approximately to nowhere, but it was more than scenic enough to make the detour worthwhile. (If you want to see this for yourself, go quickly. I don't know how much longer it will remain standing. And be sure to say to yourself, "Follow the yellow brick road.")

Since it was Sunday, I took more church photos than usual. Or was it because there are so many stately old churches in Pennsylvania? This is the Allegheny United Church of Christ.

And what's a church without a scenic, if slightly jumbled, graveyard?

Continuing on, I encountered the Middle Creek Lake...

...and another "Amish thoroughfare." No bicycles, in this case, but buggy after buggy, and a wave from every one.

My friend Neil tells me that these are guinea fowl—and that they're very tasty.

One more church, for good measure: The 1872 Christ Presbyterian Church in Lebanon.

Nearby was this apparent car repair graveyard... Fortunately, I didn't need a flat repaired or any other service.

As I continued to circle around the Lancaster area, I found myself back on the banks of the Susquehanna—and right next to the Three Mile Island nuclear facility. One of my work colleagues remembers very well when he and his family had to evacuate from Harrisburg in 1979 when the infamous accident occurred here. (I checked that night but could not detect that I was glowing anywhere...)

I guess the folks living in this nearby log cabin evacuated and then never came back.

Yet another tiny back road took me, providentially, by Locust Grove and the elegant Haldeman Mansion. Parts of the mansion date from the mid-1700s, although the main part was apparently completed in 1812 by John and Maria Haldeman. Their son, Samuel S. Haldeman (1812-1880), was born here and went on to world acclaim as a (self-taught) scientist.

One more stately mansion came into view before I departed for home. I know nothing about this place—but I want to live there!

And so the sun begins to set on Yr Fthfl Srvnt as he motors back to Maryland. 'Twas a most enjoyable tour (and it only scratched the surface of this beautiful part of Pennsylvania).

All told, the circumnavigation of Lancaster amounted to about 215 miles, plus another 140 miles roundtrip to Columbia. The Z4 ran faultlessly and provided both superb driving entertainment (on wet and dry roads) and an excellent vantage point from which to explore the countryside. But the next time, I want to hire one of the Amish carriages and do the trip right!

Rick F.

Last edited by Rick F.; 09-22-2015 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Rick, A Very Nicely Documented Trip, Gorgeous County!

BTW, are you sure vehicles are allowed on the "Yellow Brick Road" bridge? Looks a bit narrow...

And the "Stately Mansion" I'm sure must have been a model for a couple of "Scooby Doo" episodes. Would make a Beautiful Haunted House.

I want the Haldeman Mansion, beautiful looking home.

Dave

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post

BTW, are you sure vehicles are allowed on the "Yellow Brick Road" bridge? Looks a bit narrow...

And the "Stately Mansion" I'm sure must have been a model for a couple of "Scooby Doo" episodes. Would make a Beautiful Haunted House.

Dave
Great writeup! I live in DC in went to school up in upstate NY. I am familiar with a lot of these places, although have never veered off the highway to enjoy the scenic beauty. I do remember the small towns dotted around the greater Binghamton/ Ithaca/ Syracuse area that I frequented. Nothing like a good weekend getaway into the americana history.
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
i susbscribed just so i can come back later and check these images again. very well done man, thanks for sharing!
      10-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post

Dave
Dave,

You'll have to fight me for the Haldeman Mansion--I want it, too!

Regarding the yellow brick road, I have no idea what it's used for now. For that matter, I can't imagine what it used to be used for! It dead ends a couple hundred yards farther along, near the railroad bridge pictured in the Schuylkill River photo. Fortunately, it survives as one of those pleasant oddities that we run into once in a while.

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
Great writeup! I live in DC in went to school up in upstate NY. I am familiar with a lot of these places, although have never veered off the highway to enjoy the scenic beauty. I do remember the small towns dotted around the greater Binghamton/ Ithaca/ Syracuse area that I frequented. Nothing like a good weekend getaway into the americana history.
EmPower,

I'm glad you enjoyed the report. Back in my racing days, I traveled to Watkins Glen a number of times--but never had time to enjoy all the scenery in the area. After I retired from racing in 1994, I finally went back to tour the Glen itself, take a cruise on Seneca Lake, and so forth. Beautiful area.

So, did you go to SUNY Binghamton? Several folks in my office graduated from there, whereas I went to graduate school at UMBC. We always go to the tournament games between the two schools.

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320what View Post
i susbscribed just so i can come back later and check these images again. very well done man, thanks for sharing!
320what,

Thanks! The trips are a lot of fun, and then researching the places I found adds further to the enjoyment.

By the way, I love the 2002 racing shot you use for your avatar! Very cool.

Rick F.

PS: Do you really live in Estonia?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

again AWESOME.

I'm thinking of going to see some foliage in North Frederick at High Rock(near thurmont) this sunday
      10-13-2009, 02:10 AM   #9
elfhearse
CW5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 x28iS/10 e91M/00 Z3MC

Garage List
2014 BMW x28i  [0.00]
2010 328iT  [0.00]
Thanks for posting, I'm from Lancaster and it's nice to see a reminder of the lush scenery while sitting here in dusty Iraq.
FWIW: There is an excellent Indy BMW mechanic about 15 miles North of Columbia on 441 (your first photo)..Jack's Aero and Auto. (just a happy customer plugging his repair shop)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I like the "Chalmers Close Farm." There's a main street that runs through this campus (Univ. of Illinois) called Chalmers. I wonder if the families are related.

Great pics and write-up as always, Rick.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I always love your pictures and captions!
It's a nice "getaway" from the cubicle.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Thanks for sharing.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 03:39 AM   #13
Geoffo
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Something else..

Fantastic write up & pictures..Thanks for sharing..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Nice work Rick. I used to live in Ohio and some of your photos of Amish country reminded me of Ohio. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #15
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

awesome!!!!
      10-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #16
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

I've been visiting that area since the early 60's and lived in Carlisle for 5 years. Thanks for the photo memories!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphireZ View Post
again AWESOME.

I'm thinking of going to see some foliage in North Frederick at High Rock(near thurmont) this sunday
BSZ,

It was another really enjoyable trip, and I'm glad you enjoyed the report. I hope the weather improves for your drive over to Frederick in search of Fall colors.

In addition to High Rock, you might enjoy seeing the view from the original Washington Monument, near Boonesboro, MD. See Washington Monument for directions.

If you're really gung-ho, I'll tell you how to find "Spook Hill," near Burkittsville, MD. As you're driving down the hill, you can stop your Z, put it in neutral, let off the brakes, and it will roll right back UP the hill! (Local legend says that it's the ghosts of Civil War soldiers pushing your car out of the area where they died in a skirmish.)

Regardless of where you end up going, be sure to post the resulting pictures.

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #18
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfhearse View Post
Thanks for posting, I'm from Lancaster and it's nice to see a reminder of the lush scenery while sitting here in dusty Iraq.
FWIW: There is an excellent Indy BMW mechanic about 15 miles North of Columbia on 441 (your first photo)..Jack's Aero and Auto. (just a happy customer plugging his repair shop)
elf,

First, thanks for your overseas service on behalf of the U.S. My nephew did two tours in Iraq, one during the war and one afterward, flying Medevac helicopter rescue missions. Not a fun place to be...

Second, I'm glad you had an enjoyable reminder of your home area around Lancaster. I'm planning to go back there for more touring--it's too beautiful to miss.

Finally, my CPO Z4 still has 3 years of paid maintenance, so I'll be returning to the dealer for regular service. But it's good to know where there's a competent independent mechanic for future reference (and current reference for other members in the area).

Stay safe,

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #19
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I like the "Chalmers Close Farm." There's a main street that runs through this campus (Univ. of Illinois) called Chalmers. I wonder if the families are related.

Great pics and write-up as always, Rick.
Mark,

Thanks (again!) for the positive feedback on the report. I couldn't find out much about Chalmers Close, but my Google search turned up a lot of references to various illustrious people with that name in Pennsylvania. Since it's not a terribly common name, I wouldn't be surprised if the Chalmers of UI street fame is related.

Rick F.

PS: You owe us more pictures!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #20
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
I always love your pictures and captions!
It's a nice "getaway" from the cubicle.
pbd,

Hey, thanks--I appreciate it. Thinking of my last trip, and planning my next one, is a consistent source of distraction for me at work!

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #21
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
Thanks for sharing.
Infamous,

My pleasure. I'll have a lot more sharing to do before catching up to your very impressive post count!

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #22
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffo318 View Post
Fantastic write up & pictures..Thanks for sharing..
Geoffo,

I enjoy writing up the trips, and I'm really glad when others find them interesting to look at. Thanks for letting me know!

Rick F.

PS: Where are you from? IIRC, the 318d hasn't ever been sold in the U.S.
Appreciate 0