ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-05-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

m coupe front passenger hub

so i'm finally getting around to this thread. wont be getting home to the car until may anyways:

my front passenger hub was stripped out so bad i cant get a wheel bolt into it. i imagine it was the guy who painted the wheels because i havent had to personally take the wheels on or off since i got the car. this was discovered when i got my winter tires put on. and it wasnt them who did it, i was there when they put the tires on. i'll also buy a couple new wheel bolts since the one in the stripped location was in pretty rough shape also.

looks like i can buy the hub for 213.06 off of tischer.

2 questions: 1.) anywhere i can get it cheaper for? part# 31222229501
2.) anyone ever do a removal and replace of this part? don't want to pay the stealership or any shop for that matter if it is not that hard of an install.

Thank you,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I had the same problem with one of my front hub as well! Thankfully i was able to re-tap it. My next try would have been Heli-coil. I dont think it would be that bad to have just one or two bolts done (with Heli coils). Never done a wheel replacement on the Z4MC but i would imagine it is not that easy.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC, 06 X5 4.4i, 99 323i

I buy parts from the Canadian equivalent of Auto Parts Way.... Here is the front hub from their U.S. website for $155
http://www.autopartsway.com/PartList.../pagenum1/tabS
      02-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
I had the same problem with one of my front hub as well! Thankfully i was able to re-tap it. My next try would have been Heli-coil. I dont think it would be that bad to have just one or two bolts done (with Heli coils). Never done a wheel replacement on the Z4MC but i would imagine it is not that easy.
yea i thought about a tap, not sure if it would work on a hub, i guess i could give that a shot first. the one is bad, and another hole in the same hub is a little stripped, but still works. what is a heli coil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickid View Post
I buy parts from the Canadian equivalent of Auto Parts Way.... Here is the front hub from their U.S. website for $155
http://www.autopartsway.com/PartList.../pagenum1/tabS
thank you, cheaper indeed. you didnt happen to remove and replace this part did you?

Thanks for the input guys
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
thank you, cheaper indeed. you didnt happen to remove and replace this part did you?
No, I have not had to. I've saved this DIY for my E46 for when the time comes. It should be very similar, if not identical, to the Z4.

Here it is, if you need it...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=610725
      02-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, I have not had to. I've saved this DIY for my E46 for when the time comes. It should be very similar, if not identical, to the Z4.

Here it is, if you need it...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=610725
thank you very much, i appreciate it.

one last noob question, just so i dont order the wrong thing. looking at the diagrams, obviously the rotor goes over the hub, but the hub itself is where the wheel bolt directly screws into?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thank you very much, i appreciate it.

one last noob question, just so i dont order the wrong thing. looking at the diagrams, obviously the rotor goes over the hub, but the hub itself is where the wheel bolt directly screws into?
Yes, that is correct.
      02-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

My brother had screwed up one of the holes in his hub and we just re-tapped it. Give the tapping a chance first then if that doesn't work try something else.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
My brother had screwed up one of the holes in his hub and we just re-tapped it. Give the tapping a chance first then if that doesn't work try something else.
Absolutely agree with F360C.... Always the cheap but effective solution first before going all out on a hub replacement.

With regards to heli-coils, you need to do some research on how much torque a heli-coil can handle. This is a common solution for stripped threads on low torque applications like spark plugs or even head bolts but I haven't heard of it being used on a wheel hub. It will be nice to know if it will work or not so let us know what you find out, if you do look into it.

Last edited by Quickid; 02-06-2011 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 03:23 AM   #10
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is correct.
thanks for all your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
i agree completely, thanks

Quote:
Absolutely agree with F360C.... Always the cheap but effective solution first before going all out on a hub replacement.

With regards to heli-coils, you need to do some research on how much torque a heli-coil can handle. This is a common solution for stripped threads on low torque applications like spark plugs or even head bolts but I haven't heard of it being used on a wheel hub. It will be nice to know if it will work or not so let us know what you find out, if you do look into it.
yea i don't think i will deal with the heli coils. i think it's either going to be the tapping, or hub for me
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Well if its anything like the non M z4's then you will have to remove the steering knuckle and have the hub pushed out of the bearing, this may destroy the bearing when done so a new bearing will have to be pressed in then a new hub reinstalled its kind of like our audi totally sucky job. I wish it was like our mini which has a bolt on hub wayyyy easier to fix. Is try retapping it before anything else.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

the hole is stripped too bad to tap. also, after further research, heli coils are not recommended for wheels. so a new hub it is. im going to order the hub thanks to quickid's recommendation
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

IF it's same technique as std Z4, it's not to tough (as I recall) but you may need a special tool.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
the hole is stripped too bad to tap. also, after further research, heli coils are not recommended for wheels. so a new hub it is. im going to order the hub thanks to quickid's recommendation

If you want to have a thrifty fix you can tap it to the size of an x5 lug nut. It's slightly thicker

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Well if its anything like the non M z4's then you will have to remove the steering knuckle and have the hub pushed out of the bearing, this may destroy the bearing when done so a new bearing will have to be pressed in then a new hub reinstalled its kind of like our audi totally sucky job. I wish it was like our mini which has a bolt on hub wayyyy easier to fix. Is try retapping it before anything else.
The hub/bearing for the Z4M is one sealed unit. The bearing is not a separate part. I think this makes the installation pretty simple. The only reason I know this is that I had one replaced under warranty as the dealer suspects the runout from the hub was causing my brake vibration problem. Part number for the hub is 31-22-2-229-501.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #16
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
If you want to have a thrifty fix you can tap it to the size of an x5 lug nut. It's slightly thicker
thats a pretty good idea. I wonder if that has any negative consequences.

i already bought the hub though and i have my mechanic doing it for me on the side. correct it was one sealed unit, and didnt look too complicated but i had him take care of that while some warranty work needed to be done anyway.
Appreciate 0