ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Z4 Remote Top Down - Must Key Be Programmed?

Hello All -

I can't seem to get the keyfob activated remote top down function to work in my 2008 roadster.

I press unlock once to unlock driver door, press unlock again to unlock passenger door, then press and hold unlock again to retract the soft top -- and nothing happens.

I searched the forum pretty diligently but can't determine if this function must be programmed by the dealer to work, or if it should just work on ALL later model year cars. I've looked at the list of programmable options, but see nothing that seems to relate to this function.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.
      04-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
thenewkid
Private
Rep
Drives: 06' 3.0si

i have never had mine programmed and does it just about every day when i get off from work, '06 3.0si...perhaps you aren't holding it long enough?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

do you click 3 times fast and hold ?
      04-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
wdupdog
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4

I just contiuously hold unlock button. At a minimum of 5 seconds the windows go down halfway, then the top begins retracting. Continue to hold till complete and the motor stops. Range of remote is crap, but that's another issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Interesting. I did not know this was possible. I'll have to try it on mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

I doubt I'm too far from the car, i.e I think I was standing about 10-15 feet away (will try again this evening). How close are you guys needing to be for it to work? I do know that the locks were unlocking fine. Is the "top-down" range less than the locks?
      04-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
wdupdog
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4

Hit n miss if over 10 ft from car. Only way to be sure u don't look like a D ass is to b next to car. Top up doesn't work with remote(without modification). You can Put key in lock turn right n hold: will lock doors, then put top up, then windows up.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Also putting the key in the door and turning CW will run the top and windows up.

It might be CCW, can't remember. Towards the lock position and hold it there.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

LOL I tested it earlier and it worked...kinda. The windows rolled down all the way and the top started to retract but then stopped. I had to move closer to the car and try it again. At that point it worked.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

On my 2004 2.5i it did not put the top down. On my 2006 M it did, just had to hold the open button long enough.

However, last night I installed the gaptech OTH+ and I'm really happy, definitely recommended.

With that module I just have to hold the button in the cabin for 0.5s and it goes all the way up/down. It also has the remote function, so now if I press unlock 3 times (each click within 1s of eachother, took me a few tries to get the timing right) the top goes down.

Also, the regular keyfob will not allow you to put the top up, with the module, you press unlock twice followed by lock, and it puts the top up for you.

It's really great to be able to put the top down before you get in the car, and put it up as you walk away from it, without having to hold any buttons
      04-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
Hughbert
Guilty as Charged
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
LOL I tested it earlier and it worked...kinda. The windows rolled down all the way and the top started to retract but then stopped. I had to move closer to the car and try it again. At that point it worked.
Range for remote is really crappy. The cycle stops if there is a drop in signal anytime during the time your holding the unlock button.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

I have also found it will have problems is someone opens a door during the process.

I have been using the 'hold the key to your chin while pressing the button' method for a while now with great success, but I am starting to worry about long term damage to myself. Beaver mouse hampster rabbit, but so far so good, horse cow sheep.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

I have a 05 2.5i and I am able to open the top with the key here is how:
1)press unlock once to unlock driver door
2)press unlock again to unlock passenger door, don't stop pressing the unlock button and just keep pressing it for about 6 seconds.
here is a video on youtube that I found (not mine)

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
However, last night I installed the gaptech OTH+ and I'm really happy, definitely recommended.
Thanks all for the input and the comments.
Sure enough, it turned out to be the range.
When I stood next to the car, it worked. And I mean RIGHT NEXT to the car.
Sort of defeats the whole "remote" purpose.
Using the "key to the chin" trick, the range is improved but I look like an idiot.
Range is so poor that the "factory" feature is hardly viable.

I too ordered the aftermarket gapTech RCH+ module.
That should do the trick.

Beta how long did it take to get to you from the UK? Did you solder or use the crimp taps supplied in the kit? Any installation advice? I've already been into the panel to install stealth power, so am somewhat familiar with the landscape, but did not actually remove the harnesses from the switch panel.

Thanks all for the responses.
      04-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeah the range of our remotes is really short unless you do the head trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
Beta how long did it take to get to you from the UK? Did you solder or use the crimp taps supplied in the kit? Any installation advice? I've already been into the panel to install stealth power, so am somewhat familiar with the landscape, but did not actually remove the harnesses from the switch panel.
I actually soldered them in place since I plan on keeping this car forever and wanted a solid mechanical join.

The hardest part of the install is that I wanted to use heat shrink tubing (versus electrical tape), and that involved removing the wires from the connectors... took me about 2 hours total. If I had used electrical tape it would've been only about 30-45 minutes. With scotch locks you're looking at 10-15 minutes.

Here's a picture I took when I finished wiring the small black connector (there's three connectors), it has two pieces of heat shrink tubing: 3/16" going over the splice, then another 3/8" to go over both wires so it looks super clean. You can see the 3/8" over both wires, and a tiny bit of the 3/16" poking out from under it on just the red/yellow wire. It has 5 wires total that you have to splice in for the OTH+.

Last edited by beta; 04-22-2011 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for this. Very neat and clean job, very impressive.

Quote:
Yeah the range of our remotes is really short unless you do the head trick.
May I assume that with the gap-Tech module, the range will be identical to that needed to simply lock/unlock the doors? In other words, I won't have to stand directly next to the car before the system will work?

Quote:
Here's a picture I took when I finished wiring the small black connector (there's three connectors)
Anything special about removing the three connectors from the panel, i.e. swinging arm, depress detente, etc.?

Quote:
It has 5 wires total that you have to splice in for the OTH+.
I assume the blue wire from the module is unused, right?

And finally, how long did it take for the module to ship across the pond?

Thanks again.
      04-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
May I assume that with the gap-Tech module, the range will be identical to that needed to simply lock/unlock the doors? In other words, I won't have to stand directly next to the car before the system will work?
Yep, as long as the car registers the unlock, the gaptech module will see it. The only tricky part is getting the timing right. You need to click 3 times, each click needs to be between 0.8 and 1.2 seconds from the last click. If your timing isn't just right it won't work. Took me a few practice runs, but now I'm able to do it almost every time.

Quote:
Anything special about removing the three connectors from the panel, i.e. swinging arm, depress detente, etc.?
Yeah I think two of the connectors you have to squeeze the sides (for sure the small white one, I think the large brown one as well). I didn't have any issues with this though.

Quote:
I assume the blue wire from the module is unused, right?
No you do use all 5 wires, I had only wired up 2 out of 5 in the picture.

Quote:
And finally, how long did it take for the module to ship across the pond?

Thanks again.
A little over a week, was pretty fast considering how far it was going.
      04-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks beta.
      06-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #19
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

I recently received my Gaptech Remote Controlled Hood Plus (RCH+) module and installed it today. Maybe 20 minutes total work, and I was being cautious.

The module works perfect. I posted a video of the operation. I must say this is a fantastic mod for anyone with a convertible Z4 or Z4MR.

In the video I was holding the unlock button, or the lock button...but I guess once you engage the sequence...there is not need to 'hold' the button as I did in the video.

Shipping from the guy in the UK was very very fast!

http://www.gap-tech.co.uk/rchp.html

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0