ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

///m brakes inconsistent?

I finally got the z4m out to the track this weekend and it was fantastic! The suspension (ast) and alignment were great right off the bat and the oil temp stayed just a few degrees right of center despite the warm weather. The one thing that drove me crazy was the feel of the brakes. Once fully on the brakes they felt fine but part/light brake application was really inconsistent. Sometimes a light breathe on the brakes did nothing, sometimes it really grabbed, both feeling equally light on the pedal, to my foot anyway. They just didn't feel progressive or predictable. Anyone else get this? Would a bbk help with the feel?

Fwiw, I didn't have any heat problems running srf and pfc06 pads and the brakes performed great. My last track car was an e28 m5 with upsized rears and an upsized master cylinder which felt awesome - really stiff pedal, almost as heavy as the clutch, and progressive resistance through the whole pedal travel.

Gratuitous 1M footage!

Last edited by ajw45; 07-08-2012 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Thanks for sharing! Are you running OE pads?
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Thanks for sharing! Are you running OE pads?
Quote:
Fwiw, I didn't have any heat problems running srf and pfc06 pads
OP - Are you talking about the pads instantly grabbing on the rotor with the pedal, then sometimes not grabbing until more pressure?

Hrm.

Were these problems re-occuring in the same corner, or were they happening at different speeds?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
OP - Are you talking about the pads instantly grabbing on the rotor with the pedal, then sometimes not grabbing until more pressure?

Hrm.

Were these problems re-occuring in the same corner, or were they happening at different speeds?
Exactly! Same corner, similar speeds, and it seemed hard to judge when the brakes would actually start to grab during that initial pedal travel which is pretty light. I noticed this just driving around on the street with OEM pads when I first purchased the car and have learned to just be extra slow on the brakes. Could this be the active brake assist I'm feeling/fighting?

Scrapped the OEM pads and running PFC 06/08 f/r
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post

Hrm.

Thought he was referencing his last car...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Brake pedals just move fluid. Master cylinders decide how much fluid is moved. Brake pads determine at what temperatures they grab at and when they don't. BMW electronics could do who knows what in a modern car.

But with my experience, you are having issues with the temperature of your pads. If I remember correctly, that pad (pfc 06) that you are running needs A LOT of heat, so they may be cooling down.

Just a thought, but I am pretty sure it is not the brakes but rather your pads.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

I actually notice the same problem. Does it by any chance happen as decelerating and downshifting? thats when its most noticeable to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Take a look at this thread. Sounds very similar to what you're describing, specifically see the posts by The Hack. Thread.

It could also be the active brake assist jumping in there as well. It tries to "help" when really jumping off throttle and onto the brakes. In my experience this seems to happen more when going from WOT to "light touch" braking transition.

Not much can be done about the active brake assist, but if you noticing a less than stellar and firm pedal feel, "The Hack" method of removing air from the braking system is worth a shot. Can't hurt, and might help.

Sean's input should be strongly considered as well, especially if it makes sense given it was the same corner consistently.

Last edited by Finnegan; 07-09-2012 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Get that all the time on downshifts. I call it "hyper brakes". My guess is it's the compliment of "dead pedal" throttle.
I think both are caused by the computers trying to make sure you don't jump on the brakes and the throttle at the same time and drive through a store front, but the system is too slow if you have fast feet.
If I downshift without braking, throttle blips are predictable and effective. If I get on the brakes first, then try and blip for a downshift, throttle response is negligible, because it thinks I'm still braking and kills the throttle response. Have to smack it to the floor twice, then miss the apex because I've spent too much time fighting with the car.
Once I do get it blipped and downshifted and get back on the brake, the slightest touch on the brake pedal nearly locks them up. Lift a little and reapply: back to normal brake response.

It's too binary to be a hydraulic issue. I don't have a long spongy pedal. Brakes are firm, smooth, and predictable, except when getting on them fast after hard throttle. But even that's becoming predictable. The car's programming me. (2 blips for a downshift then eeaassyy on the brake, cause it's gonna grab like a pissed off cat. Lift a little and reapply. Damn, missed the apex again.)

Last edited by StickMon; 07-10-2012 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

If I have to guess, I'm going to say this particular corner is at the end of a long straight? And the long straight is followed by a couple of potentially moderate to high speed corners that does not require braking?

I suspect it's a combination of brake technique and compound.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

In my particular case, it's at the bottom of a long off ramp at the end of a long freeway.
Appreciate 0