ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Discrete weight loss

Hey guys,

Coming to the end of another season soon, and I am looking for a winter project to squeeze a bit more performance out of the beast for next year.

Having gotten as much power as I think is possible out of the S54 without going FI or increasing displacement, I think its time for some weight loss.

I got the car corner balanced, it came in at 3160lbs with 3/4 tank (this was prior to aero bits being added)

Anyway, after driving around in by friend's stripped E36 M3, and seeing that thing humble a couple C6 vettes , I am a firm believer in weight reduction.

That being said, I'm also not quite ready to strip the car bare. I was thinking something more along the lines of the Porsche Spyder or Cayman R type of weight reduction.

So far I was thinking of removing the stereo, airbags in doors and from behind glove box, removing headlight washers and fluid reservoir. Possibly removing thick carpets and using diamond plate instead.

Weight reduction already performed:
lightweight battery
Seats switched to race seats w/ 6pt harness / half-cage.
Wheels are CCW Classic

Any other ideas? / Comments?

Thanks as always!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

It's funny that you didnt mention the first things that we remove from a race car.

-air conditioning
-abs
-light weight wheels
- no passenger seat

That being said, unless you have lots of money and dont care about the money, i will give you some advice. Buy a car more suitable. The z4m will never be light and nimble and a nearly stock e30 will kick its butt around the track with a decent driver any day. You can also buy a e36 m3 for fairly cheap if you want to go even faster. Unless you are able to commit all the way on the z4m, it will be cheaper in the long run to just go out and buy the right car.

Right Finnegan? And he doesnt regret it for a second.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Weight loss and $$$ are in a proportional relationship.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Sorry I didn't mention it before....air conditioning was removed a while ago. I have forged ccw classic wheels with the "swiss drilled" centers. Both seats are cobra imolas. With the current weight of the car, I was hoping for around 3050lbs with 3/4 tank.

Any thoughts on safety of door airbag removal with 6pt harness?

I know I could buy a race prepped or decent e36 and build it up cheaper than more z4m mods but this car will always have a place in my heart and garage so for now we're stuck with each other!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

Crap with all that you are a bit over 3100 pounds =\ I was hoping to eventually get to under 3000 but that does not seem likely anymore =\
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Half cage added a bit of weight back.

I suppose sub - 3k IS possible if you have a fully gutted interior, not running a supercharged setup and only one seat. According to some other BMW guys you can actually remove a decent amount of weight by removing the carpets which are quite thick for sound isolation.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Before my half cage I was at 29xx lbs without driver on my 3.0si coupe.
      09-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
seank
enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerra View Post
Half cage added a bit of weight back.

I suppose sub - 3k IS possible if you have a fully gutted interior, not running a supercharged setup and only one seat. According to some other BMW guys you can actually remove a decent amount of weight by removing the carpets which are quite thick for sound isolation.
Which is why she is a fat pig. You wont get that nimble car feeling. It wont be worth the 100 lbs to tear up your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
RedDotRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
It's funny that you didnt mention the first things that we remove from a race car.

-air conditioning
-abs
-light weight wheels
- no passenger seat

That being said, unless you have lots of money and dont care about the money, i will give you some advice. Buy a car more suitable. The z4m will never be light and nimble and a nearly stock e30 will kick its butt around the track with a decent driver any day. You can also buy a e36 m3 for fairly cheap if you want to go even faster. Unless you are able to commit all the way on the z4m, it will be cheaper in the long run to just go out and buy the right car.

Right Finnegan? And he doesnt regret it for a second.
The e30 makes an awesome track car. I own an s52 swapped 2600lb one for the track. It keeps up with the best of them and is definitely quicker then my z4m. However, I'm not sure a nearly stock e30 will kick a z4m's butt around a track.

Last edited by RedDotRacer; 09-26-2014 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #10
seank
enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDotRacer View Post
The e30 makes an awesome track car. I own an s52 swapped 2600lb one for the track. It keeps up with the best of them and is definitely quicker then my z4m. However, I'm not sure a nearly stock e30 will kick a z4m's butt around a track.
Unless some of these times listed here drop, yes it will. I have had both at the track and unless you change the suspension in the z4m with some stickey tires, it wont happen.

Btw, I said e30 with slight mods vs stock z4m.
Appreciate 0