ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
darknetone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 and 2003 Z4

Rattling sound, like a paint can from the engine

I have a rattleing sound, kinda like what you'd get from shaking a spray paint can commit from the front of my M54 3.0 engine. I hear it at idle once the car is warm, it is not as loud when the car is cold.

On note the car has 104K miles on it if that helps... Also I unplugged the DISA valve and the noise is still there. I probed around with a automotive stethoscope but could not find the source.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

It might be one of the pulleys given your mileage. Remove the belt and manully rotate the pullys. They should be silent.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #3
darknetone
Private
United_States
Rep

I was thinking maybe a belt tensioner maybe. I'll be doing a VCG and plugs ths weekend as well as DISA recon. If I have time left I was thinking about checking the tensioners. Will post back my findings. However and other guesses are welcome. I may post a video so everyone can hear this wonderful noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Since you're doing the VCG, consider also doing the rattle and seal repair => http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

My guess will be the Vanos.
I overhauled mine last year, no more rattle can noises
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 05:16 AM   #6
darknetone
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
My guess will be the Vanos.
I overhauled mine last year, no more rattle can noises
I might agree but I have none of the VANOS symptoms, the cars is smooth through out it's entire range, no hesitation. and I get good MPG. I did stethoscope where the VANOS was and no unusual noise. However I still wonder...

I did plan on doing VANOS even before I bought the car, looked at both Dr.VANOS and Beisan, I did a lot of Z4 research. I perhaps even went a bit crazy by making a list of parts and costs for things I knew I'd need/want to do to the car before I bought it.

So this leads me to ask, since it is something I did not read, will the VANOS make noise before the other symptoms appear?

I am gonna check the tensioners this weekend along with my other activities.

Thanks much for you input!

Last edited by darknetone; 01-23-2015 at 05:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 05:23 AM   #7
darknetone
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Since you're doing the VCG, consider also doing the rattle and seal repair => http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html
AS noted in my post above, I have no other VANOS symptoms, I guess it could just be the bearings, the Beisan Systems rattle kit just might be the thing, at least until I go whole hong on the VANOS unit.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknetone View Post
AS noted in my post above, I have no other VANOS symptoms, I guess it could just be the bearings, the Beisan Systems rattle kit just might be the thing, at least until I go whole hong on the VANOS unit.

I didn't have any VANOS issues or symptoms either when I overhauled it on my M54 X5 last year (with about 96K miles on it at the time). But I figured "while I'm in there" doing my VCG, it's only about $120 worth in parts (seal & rattle kits), I will never have to wonder about it again since the seals are already at about 100K life. The engine has been idling like butter now.

I'm planning on doing a similar overhaul on my S54 MC on the next inspection when doing my valve adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknetone View Post
I might agree but I have none of the VANOS symptoms, the cars is smooth through out it's entire range, no hesitation. and I get good MPG. I did stethoscope where the VANOS was and no unusual noise. However I still wonder...

I did plan on doing VANOS even before I bought the car, looked at both Dr.VANOS and Beisan, I did a lot of Z4 research. I perhaps even went a bit crazy by making a list of parts and costs for things I knew I'd need/want to do to the car before I bought it.

So this leads me to ask, since it is something I did not read, will the VANOS make noise before the other symptoms appear?

I am gonna check the tensioners this weekend along with my other activities.

I recall only really having the rattle although I was already supercharged and having tune issues so the other symptoms may have been present and just didn't notice them.
The Vanos overhaul certainly got rid of the marbles.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
darknetone
Private
United_States
Rep

I must say, I am not sure how I over looked this, see picture, looks like I have a warped valve cover, courtesy of the last wrench monkey to touch the car. Unless some one on here can tell me this is how the valve cover normaly looks.

I have only had the car for 2 weeks so I really don't have a good view its history... Just going throught the car a little at a time fixing stuff. Comments?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
darknetone
Private
United_States
Rep

Just an FYI/update

Got sick had to hold off on car work but I am alive again. So,...

I am going to replace the valve cover, and the gasket, bolt gaskets, put in new plugs, also am going to drop in a DrVANOS ( which should arrive this Wednesday ) as well.

If anyone wants needs picts of anything, while I have her open let me know.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #12
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i - Saphire Black

How did this go? My car has been making a similar noise, and I'm trying to figure out what it is. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine near the belts, and the rattling noise speeds up when I hit the gas.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 06:49 AM   #13
darknetone
Private
United_States
Rep

I install a Dr. VANOS pre-built unit. The install was east up to the point where I tried to lift the VANOS out. There are clearance issues but if you think it through it was possible to get the VANOS out without unbolting and jacking up the engine. The noise, os gone gone gone, plus I have a new VANOS. Also I bought a new valve cover and gasket set as well. If you have specific questions let me know. I have several pictures of the process as well.
Appreciate 0