ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
Delafere
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4C

Lear amplifier and DSP

Hello all I just acquired a 2006 Z4 coupe. I am sorting out the audio system and found answers to many of the questions I had on this forum!

I have one that i cant find anywhere. I have the top h ifi system with 10 speakers and a dsp menu (I have Nav). I had a USA spec PA12 with dsp from another vehicle. When I went to install it I notice that I do not have a coax connector on my amplifier but rather a 3 pin and a 6 pin connector.

Now that suggests that I have analogue dsp , correct?

The strange thing is that I can not seem to "turn" on the dsp or change any of the settings in the menu. If I make a change nothing happens...

can anyone shed light on this? Do I have a malfunctioning amp or am I a dumbs ass newbie and overlooking the obvious...

Best
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Are you able to play audio content via the USA spec PA 12? Not sure if this is one of your problems.

My understanding is if there is a coax cable, this indicates "possibly" a digital connection between the CD changer and the amp. Some on the web say that just because there is a coax cable doesn't mean it is actually used. The car could have been wired with it, but not implemented. One thing seems to be universally agreed upon though, if there is no coax cable then you definitely don't need a "digital DSP converter".

To be honest, I find the nomenclature of Digital vs Analog DSP in reference to our sound systems confusing. It seems that the only thing that is digital vs. analog is the CD changer connection....and nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
Delafere
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4C

I am not able to use the USA spec as it is digital (coax) only. So I will be buying another unit without the coax connection. But I am still confused why my dsp setting seam to do nothing. The stereo works fine!

Best
Appreciate 0