ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Garage List
Cost of front reflector delete

I need to replace my front bumper and the parts and labor with other associated pieces was estimated to be about $1,000.

So I took the opportunity to inquire how much extra filling in the front reflectors and license plate bracket holes would be and the auto body quoted an additional $450!!! This is with a 10% "friends & family" discount. Needless to say I change my mind since the minor cosmetic customization didn't justify the price.

Repainting the side skirts due for the known "road rash" issue would be another $800.

I've been going to this family-owned shop for the past six years, and have been pleased with their quality and service, however the reflector/plate delete cost seems unreasonable even for a high cost-of-living area. Am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

seems VERY high to me.
When I had the Aero side sills painted on the roadster they were about $400.

I'm planning to do the reflector fill mod too, but I'll do the patch myself & let the shop just prep & paint.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Garage List
Yes, but weren't your replacement sills already primed? They just need to be painted.

I think it's $800 to refinish because of the prep work involved (i.e. disassemble from the car; stripping the old paint; sanding; prime, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

yes just prep & paint.
I did the re & re as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
I got it done last year. I was in a different boat tho as ins was paying to replace and paint the bumper and I just told the shop to delete the reflectors. I think I was out 1000 for all 4 including my 500 deductible so expect to pay 500-600 all the way to 1k for quality work at a quality shop.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #6
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

had mine re-painted when my front bumper was replaced due to my deer incident.

The original paint job on them was slight "off" (before the deer incident).

This time around obviously since it was all sprayed at the same time... it's perfect and honestly I never notice them. (new pictures below). I mean they aren't that bad once they're painted. If they bother you that much why not just fill in the headlight teardrop washers too? LOL Those annoy me more than the reflectors.

Also at the rate it sounds like you scrap things (rockers etc) is it really worth modding a new bumper? I'd fix the rockers and leave the bumper out of priority.
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
...... If they bother you that much why not just fill in the headlight teardrop washers too? LOL Those annoy me more than the reflectors.

On my to do list
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
jair_onsa
jairon2
Rep
Drives: vt1-445 z4 MC- 14 335i M Sport

I painted my reflectors myself and honestly i dont even notice them any more, if you think its worth it go for it but the price seems a little too high for what you are getting, ill invest that money on something more beneficial.(some other mod for the car of course)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

i might just see if i can get the reflectors painted like fitchesbass did. the fill/sand/prime/paint will likely be a hefty quote.

why no mention of rear reflector delete?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I think it all depends on the body shop.

I pulled the front bumper cover off the roadster, removed the removable pieces and took it in for repair and repaint. They had some fill work and crack repair to do, then a complete repaint. Total cost was $500.

I am willing to bet a lot of cost savings were from me doing all the grunt work and the shop only working on the actual bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Their prices are crazy high. The shop I go to charges around $600 to remove, repaint and reinstall. And when I asked them to plug the license plate holes for me, they didn't charge me anything extra.

I don't know the shop you're going to but my guess is that they aren't used to requests to mold off miscellaneous holes and reflectors. Go to a shop that has done that sort of work and the price will be much more reasonable. Regardless, I wouldn't pay more than $750 inclusive of removing the holes/reflectors.
      07-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

JEEEZ this sounds ridiculously expensive... When my car was in the shop, they painted the reflectors for free... I couldn't see paying as much as you were quoted when just painting them should be free!

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbs View Post
JEEEZ this sounds ridiculously expensive... When my car was in the shop, they painted the reflectors for free... I couldn't see paying as much as you were quoted when just painting them should be free!
They're talking about filling & painting the bumper itself, not just the reflector.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

The problem with filling the reflector holes is that after a couple years, sometimes they might sink a little bit and the outlines of the reflectors will start to surface. It's not always the case, but it happens. So you might wanna check with your bodyshop and see what they say and if they offer any warranty for something like that.

Or you can try to get an OEM Euro bumper from a Canadian BMW dealer. They might still be able to get you OEM Euro parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
They're talking about filling & painting the bumper itself, not just the reflector.

I know. When my car was in the shop, I too initially asked if I could have the holes filled. They could even use the plastic from my old bumper to fill! They said that would be an extra $300. I thought this price was ridiculous when I could just get the covers sprayed for free. OP was quoted quite a bit more than I was, and I just do not think it is worth anywhere near what they are asking for this procedure to be done

EDIT: Maybe I am ok with just painting the reflectors because my car is black, and you really have to look to see them. I could see this being somewhat annoying on a white/silver car!

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

their are companies you can go through that can get you a euro z4 bumper with no reflectors, cant get them from the dealers here in the US as their not allowed to be sold here.

on another note that is a rediculouse price they are charging you, i just got my aero side sills painted for 350 bucks for both and they match the oem finish perfectly in both gloss and texture the bumper was painted for $400 and the rear was painted for 300 bucks.

so just over a grand for all bumpers and side skirts and the quality was flawless no debree and perfect color match!

but all body shops are differnt so it depends on where you live and who's doing the painting!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #17
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I know. When my car was in the shop, I too initially asked if I could have the holes filled. They could even use the plastic from my old bumper to fill! They said that would be an extra $300. I thought this price was ridiculous when I could just get the covers sprayed for free. OP was quoted quite a bit more than I was, and I just do not think it is worth anywhere near what they are asking for this procedure to be done
Ahhh, got it

Quote:
EDIT: Maybe I am ok with just painting the reflectors because my car is black, and you really have to look to see them. I could see this being somewhat annoying on a white/silver car!
Yeah, I completely agree with that.
I have noticed that the deeper colors hide the body work separation lines MUCH better than lighter colors.
They really stand out on my AW.
Appreciate 0