ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
TomSawyer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Window Tint

I am looking for a place to get my windows tinted, any recommendations in the Chicago area? What can I expect to pay? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Car_Girl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 xDrive 5.0i

Sorry, not in Chicago but if you make a road trip to my area, there's a place near me that did a very nice job on mine! I'm in the SE Michigan area about an hour from Ann Arbor.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
paul2241
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d Sport Wagon

I know it's really far away, but rockstars auto reconditioning in indianapolis indiana, does some really great work. If you're ever in central IN, and haven't gotten them done yet, look them up, they'll get you in same day. They use 3M film, and use a computer program to cut it for the windows.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

I've heard good things about Umbra. They did another M coupe and I was planning to bring my car there in the future. I was quoted $190 for 5 windows.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, I saw it a while after it went up and figured someone else would share this info, but alas no one has.

The best window tinter in or around Chicago is Adam Mucha. He's an independent contractor, but works out of a few different shops during the week. In Chicago, he's at Auto Tinting & Rockguard, 2602 W Chicago Ave, 312.953.1028.

Adam has done both of my Z4 roadsters, my current car one and a half times (had the passenger side re-done as it got nicked by a passenger). I've had people ask me if my windows came like that from the factory, he's really that good. Certified 3M installer, and it shows.

Also, side-note, the name of the shop is a bit misleading, in fact, the place is an amazing quality (and amazingly tiny) mostly-BMW body shop. While you're there, check out the owner's 7-series, he's put a lot of work into it both outside and inside, it's beautiful.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, I saw it a while after it went up and figured someone else would share this info, but alas no one has.

The best window tinter in or around Chicago is Adam Mucha. He's an independent contractor, but works out of a few different shops during the week. In Chicago, he's at Auto Tinting & Rockguard, 2602 W Chicago Ave, 312.953.1028.

Adam has done both of my Z4 roadsters, my current car one and a half times (had the passenger side re-done as it got nicked by a passenger). I've had people ask me if my windows came like that from the factory, he's really that good. Certified 3M installer, and it shows.

Also, side-note, the name of the shop is a bit misleading, in fact, the place is an amazing quality (and amazingly tiny) mostly-BMW body shop. While you're there, check out the owner's 7-series, he's put a lot of work into it both outside and inside, it's beautiful.

Best of luck.
Good information -- thanks for posting. Is there a way to get in touch with him outside the shop? Does he do any work in the suburbs or on the weekends?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
Good information -- thanks for posting. Is there a way to get in touch with him outside the shop? Does he do any work in the suburbs or on the weekends?
Actually, the phone number is his, not the shop's. You can call it and if he doesn't answer, leave a message. He's very professional and typically responds in a few hours, if not less. He works all over the Chicago area, I'm sure you can work something out.

Hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
I've heard good things about Umbra. They did another M coupe and I was planning to bring my car there in the future. I was quoted $190 for 5 windows.
I had my 335 tinted by Umbra (Schaumburg) and couldn't have been happier with it. Would not hesitate to bring another car there again, even got a forum discount. If my Z4M didn't come tinted I would have them do it.
Appreciate 0