ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
For someone that's going to be hitting the track once this year (later in August).

Would changing fluid and just running stock pads be sufficient? I realize I need to get a pad as well that I can DD, Auto-X and Track for as well...which is basically impossible.
Fluid change and stock pads definitely worked fine for my first time out. If you get that setup to fade your very first time out, you're really pushing the car way harder than you should be. It's more about learning than trying to set fast lap.

Also, I recently swapped my pads to Stoptech Street Performance pads. They work great for DD (about the same or less dust as OEM) and light track duty. They are not a real track pad by any means, but they surely didn't disappoint during my trip to the track a few weeks ago. I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually, but they work perfect for where I'm at skill-wise right now.

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #24
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
For someone that's going to be hitting the track once this year (later in August).

Would changing fluid and just running stock pads be sufficient? I realize I need to get a pad as well that I can DD, Auto-X and Track for as well...which is basically impossible.
Yeah, just flush with fresh high temp brake fluid and make sure you have plenty of pad left then upgrade your brakes as you go. With my last car I started with fresh super blue fluid and was fine for a couple days. After boiling the super blue I went to srf which gave me the heat ceiling to fade my stock pads. After moving to track pads then I started melting piston seals and eating rotors regularly. Then I said screw it and got a better car
Appreciate 0