ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Header FAQ - US vs Euro vs CSL

For anyone wanting to buy headers that are not familiar with Euro Headers and Euro Cats (section 1), here's a summary of what I learned when researching mine. I hope it saves someone the time I spent. Feel free to make corrections, add any information or ask questions.

-US Z4M has two sets of cats. The primary cats in the headers and the secondary cats in the section 1. The US Section 1 has smaller cats as they were intended to be secondary cats.
-Euro Z4M only have a set of primary cats in the section 1. Euro section 1 has the required bungs, so it doesn't require modification.

CSL and Euro headers
CSL and Euro headers are very popular because they don't have the additional set of cats built in that US cars come with and give a nice HP bump. They also sound great.

-"Euro Headers" refer to the European M3 headers. They are fully compatible with Z4Ms
-"CSL Headers" refer to the Headers used in the M3 CSL and the European Z4M.

If you want the authentic headers that came with the Euro Z4M (and legendary CSL), you want the CSL headers. There are some slight differences between these and the Euro Headers, including being lighter. Most people run Euro headers because CSL headers are more expensive and harder to find.

Euro Section 1(Cats)
Euro Cats are very sought after because they eliminate the need to modify your US Section 1 to accommodate Euro or CSL headers. They are rare because although we can use the Headers from the Euro M3, their section 1 doesn't fit. So compatible "Euro Cats" only come from Euro Z4Ms.

-US Section 1
To run either Euro or CSL headers without throwing CEL requires the US Section 1 to be modified. You must add bungs for O2 and EGT. They need to be cut and have the bungs welded in. US Section 1 contains smaller cats than Euro section 1 because they were intended to be secondary cats.

-Euro Section 1
These already has the necessary bungs as they were designed to run with the Euro and CSL headers. No modification/welding to section 1 means less headache and less chance for something to go wrong.

Additional Notes
While you don't have to modify the Euro Section 1 to relocate the o2 sensors, you will need a method of extending the o2 sensors that were previously connected to the headers, that now need to reach to the rear of the section 1.

The two methods for this are cutting and extending the o2 sensors, which is risky and can cause CEL if not done professionally and the popular safer method of unraveling and rerouting the existing o2 sensor cable as-is, so it fits. Below are some useful links.

Thanks to Finnegan, Beta, Marinb, Gferil and authors of all the threads below.
Header Install
Relocating O2 Sensors
Wiring O2 sensors
Picture of Euro Cats showing where EGT and O2 go

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|

Last edited by Devious21; 08-28-2013 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
David701567.00
      08-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

also, the bungs must be 90* if you're not going to tune for the catless headers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      08-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
ChitownX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 CB X3 35i MS; 07 BS M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
also, the bungs must be 90* if you're not going to tune for the catless headers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for info. Is the 90 degree bung needed if I go with an all Euro setup?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownX View Post
Thanks for info. Is the 90 degree bung needed if I go with an all Euro setup?
No, the Euro Section 1 already has the post-cat 02 and EGT bungs. It was designed to do this job.
The US Section 1 doesn't have any bungs. For US cars, the headers were designed to do this job.

If you move to Euro headers but keep the US Section 1, neither part has a place for post-cat o2 or EGT sensors, as neither part was designed to do this job. You must add bungs to the US section 1 so you can plug them in OR get the Euro Section 1 that already has the necessary bungs built in.

Last edited by Devious21; 08-29-2013 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Question from the original thread:

Quote:
Probably some dumb questions but please humor me. Is there any advantage to the Euro CSL headers and section 1 than say a SS header setup that also removes the secondary cats? Performance, cost, O2's, CEL's?

What I'm trying to gauge is the cost benefit/hassle factor of each setup before I make a decision.
Your car evaluates readings from before and after a set of cats. If you can't provide it that, it's going to complain. You either have to get a tune telling your car not to look for that (won't pass smog), find some creative way to emulate/fake those readings, or just live with the CEL. You'll have to look through the forums and see how successful people have been running no cats. I'm in California so that's out of my jurisdiction.

Running a setup with no (primary or secondary) cats
-Better performance (less cats are always better)
-Worse smell (running no cats can be toxic)
-Will have to deal with CEL. Either live with it or get a tune that ignores it(of find some creative way to simulate it). I'm assuming you won't be attempting to smog.

Running with Euro headers/Cats
-Still better performance than stock US cars (deleting a full set of cats)
-No smell (big primary cat. This is the OEM euro setup)
-As long as install is done correctly, your car won't know that it's even modified. Will still pass smog.

Quote:
If I go to Realoem and pull a a Euro spec MC, will that show me the part numbers and cost of the Euro CSL setup or was the CSL set up an upgrade?
It should show you the CSL headers and Euro Section 1. This is what comes stock on a Euro Z4M. As SeanK mentioned, don't use prices from Real OEM. Just use it to look up part numbers.

If you are looking for a used set (as most of us are), PM Donovan. He should be able to get you a set at a good price direct from the UK.

Last edited by Devious21; 08-29-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Are the prices on real oem outdated by being too high or too low?
      08-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I've seen it inaccurate both ways. At the end of the day, the only prices that are important are the ones you can actually order a part for, so you want to get pricing from someone that actually sells parts. I use getbmwparts.com to check prices. Realoem is for part reference only.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Usually too low.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Very good summary Devious.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

Thanks for doing this btw!

Question: I have an ESS tune (came with the VT2-500) and am currently on 100% stock USDM exhaust. I will be installing euro headers soon and am hoping someone with a similar setup will chime in. Do I need to worry about getting a CEL even though it has an aftermarket tune? My intuition tells me that yes, I will still throw a CEL and have to request a re-tune. I'll most likely install *just* the headers for now.

Anyone know if the Evolve-R cable for E46 M3 works for Z4M?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekky View Post
Thanks for doing this btw!

Question: I have an ESS tune (came with the VT2-500) and am currently on 100% stock USDM exhaust. I will be installing euro headers soon and am hoping someone with a similar setup will chime in. Do I need to worry about getting a CEL even though it has an aftermarket tune? My intuition tells me that yes, I will still throw a CEL and have to request a re-tune. I'll most likely install *just* the headers for now.

Anyone know if the Evolve-R cable for E46 M3 works for Z4M?
I would treat it like a non-F/I car. If you swap the headers, you should do section 1 as well. Everything will work properly and you won't have any issues or have to worry about modifying the tune (to prevent CEL, might still want to do one to maximize performance). Then if the F/I goes later, you won't have to worry about the headers headache your left with. Headers done right can be a permanent mod that doesn't need to be reverted (unless you want to part out for cash).

If you JUST do headers, either your car will pop CEL like a non-F/I or it's possible that the tune has the post-cat 02 or other sensors as "not ready", in which case it may not trigger CEL. I know there's a few guys selling their modified section 1's, ready to go for less than $700 shipped. I can put you in touch with them if you want to go that route.

Regarding the Evolve-R cable, I'm pretty sure it works but I shot a note to Evolve to have them confirm.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
I would treat it like a non-F/I car. If you swap the headers, you should do section 1 as well. Everything will work properly and you won't have any issues or have to worry about modifying the tune (to prevent CEL, might still want to do one to maximize performance). Then if the F/I goes later, you won't have to worry about the headers headache your left with. Headers done right can be a permanent mod that doesn't need to be reverted (unless you want to part out for cash).

If you JUST do headers, either your car will pop CEL like a non-F/I or it's possible that the tune has the post-cat 02 or other sensors as "not ready", in which case it may not trigger CEL. I know there's a few guys selling their modified section 1's, ready to go for less than $700 shipped. I can put you in touch with them if you want to go that route.

Regarding the Evolve-R cable, I'm pretty sure it works but I shot a note to Evolve to have them confirm.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Makes me proud to be part of a community willing to contribute in a manner such as this.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

So there's a bit of a catch on the Evolve cable. From Evolve, on whether the e46m3 cable will work on a z4m:

Quote:
Yes it does. But it has to be a new cable which has not been used previously on a E46 M3 as the cables are locked to the vin.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
So there's a bit of a catch on the Evolve cable. From Evolve, on whether the e46m3 cable will work on a z4m:
So what you're saying is mine will work fine because I haven't used it yet

Thanks man! That's great news. I'll get in touch with them for a re-tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Oh nice. That works out perfect then. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:15 AM   #16
xeux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6SPD

Sorry for bumping this old thread.

Curious, does any modification need to be done to US Spec cars for WIRING to use the CSL headers and euro z4m cats?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:26 AM   #17
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeux View Post
Sorry for bumping this old thread.

Curious, does any modification need to be done to US Spec cars for WIRING to use the CSL headers and euro z4m cats?
O2 sensors - if you use the same wiring path as stock then yes, you need to lengthen the wiring. If you cut into the O2 sensor harness slightly to unfold the extra wiring, and use a shorter path, then no you don't need to solder in any more length.

I'm not 100% on EGT, but I believe it's the same as above. I know EGT can reach on the DKF s-pipe without soldering in more wire length. RossBMWZseries

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #18
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Pokey is correct on the EGT; I was able to reach it on the DKF Spipe with no modification.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0