ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
newbizie
Private
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0i

Straight pipe from resonator

http://youtu.be/tp7jF2kvuK4

Didnt want to spend alot of money on an exhaust and not really being able to tell how they sound off of youtube videos i just cut the muffler off and welded the factory tips on straight pipes from the resonator, it sound real meaty and throaty and the burple lol yes the burple when down shifting is exactly what i was looking for
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

The burple sounds good but it's hard to tell what this would sound like (just as you had the same kind of experiences with your own youtube videos). I wonder how deep the sound really is, that's probably the defining factor for exhausts in my opinion. That and the right amount of rasp (for the BMW I6 Realm).

Seems like a good solution for what you were looking for!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
newbizie
Private
Rep

thanks and yeah i didnt even want to post the video becuase of the bad quality but i wanted to let people know that you can get a really good inexpensive sound out of these cars it really is deeper tone than the video makes it out to be its hard to explain but it does sound sort of like the grunt of a V8 mustang with the rasp of the European v6, but overall i couldnt be happier
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
cossied
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 z4 3.0si

good mod, how much louder is it inside the car when driving ?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
newbizie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossied View Post
good mod, how much louder is it inside the car when driving ?
You can tell its aftermarket but not obnoxious when cruising you can barely tell anything was even done to the exhaust but when you call on her she answers
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just installed the aFe intake on my M, and oh my god the difference. If you're looking to get more of the Euro sound and especially some other minor dB increases outside the car commit to this also rather inexpensive DIY upgrade. If you get a general one from autozone or whatever the filter design doesn't change much and you can get some piping to fit it. The hardest thing is making a heatsheild but you have lots of options in the Z4s for that.

I slapped one on my Z3 and it changed the sound ten fold for the better. Every noise that you want to hear out of these engines gets amplified when you get rid of that stock box.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
newbizie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddish View Post
I just installed the aFe intake on my M, and oh my god the difference. If you're looking to get more of the Euro sound and especially some other minor dB increases outside the car commit to this also rather inexpensive DIY upgrade. If you get a general one from autozone or whatever the filter design doesn't change much and you can get some piping to fit it. The hardest thing is making a heatsheild but you have lots of options in the Z4s for that.

I slapped one on my Z3 and it changed the sound ten fold for the better. Every noise that you want to hear out of these engines gets amplified when you get rid of that stock box.

Thanks for the advise i think i will actually go with an aFe as i hear they make a nice hiss, but i may just try to make one and let you know how it works as i have ACL repair surgery in two weeks and will have plenty of free time still not quite sure how i feel about that
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbizie View Post
Thanks for the advise i think i will actually go with an aFe as i hear they make a nice hiss, but i may just try to make one and let you know how it works as i have ACL repair surgery in two weeks and will have plenty of free time still not quite sure how i feel about that
A good machine bench and some help with getting the leg supported with a proper chair and you're in business!
Appreciate 0