ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Tial BPV Install Question

I had my Tial BPV installed yesterday, and I was hoping for more of a pshhhh sound like my G-Power BPV makes on the M, which is also a recirculating bypass valve and not a blow off valve. It's silent, as you can hear in the video. I'm hoping someone can QC the install and let me know if I should take the thing off and open it up.

Three things concern me:

1. I'm supposed to have a 2 psi spring. The box said 10 psi, which was marked out and replaced with a handwritten "2 psi".

2. When I attempted to activate the BPV by hand prior to install, it was very difficult. It took a lot of force to compress the spring. I did not open it up and visually check, because I've been told it's a pain to get back together.

3. Is it installed backwards? I would think the high pressure (boosted) side would be routed to the smaller 1" fitting, with the discharge / low pressure side routed to larger 2" side. That way the boosted side isn't pressing against the spring, and when the vacuum sucks the valve open, the high pressure air can recirculate back to the supercharger intake. Is the orientation correct?

Attached Images

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
By the way, the high pressure side is on the right side of the screen, and low pressure is on the left. I can take better pictures tomorrow. It just stopped raining.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Not a common mod among this crowd..
      12-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 //M coupe

With the tial bov, you can change the spring inside to change the pressure, which is probably why it is hand written...you can always pull it apart...2 psi is green

My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I received a very helpful response from Extreme PSI, and they said if the number is marked out then the spring was physically changed. They don't order them with the 2 psi spring from Tial. They also said the intake design has a lot to do with the sound, and recirculating BPV's are typically pretty quiet. It's refreshing to do business with someone that knows their products.

I checked my bypass valve on the M, and it's got the same orientation. I guess the boost loads the valve, and the vacuum gives it enough pull to activate?

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I received a very helpful response from Extreme PSI, and they said if the number is marked out then the spring was physically changed. They don't order them with the 2 psi spring from Tial. They also said the intake design has a lot to do with the sound, and recirculating BPV's are typically pretty quiet. It's refreshing to do business with someone that knows their products.

I checked my bypass valve on the M, and it's got the same orientation. I guess the boost loads the valve, and the vacuum gives it enough pull to activate?
I have the same Tial unit on my Syclone awd turbo truck, although its vented to atmosphere. Best units out there in my book. I've been using their waste gates to for decades. Robust stuff.

Going to atmosphere will probably require a bit more tuning to avoid off throttle abrupt stumble though.

Mine sounded great vented.
Appreciate 0