ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

SS V1 Stepped header ...success or no?

Hey all,

I'm part of the SS V1 stepped header group buy (tentative) on M3forum.

Link:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=460319&page=2

I was fine with the group buy and took the general description of it being z4m applicable at face value, provided it is mated with the SS stepped section 1 pipe. BUT I decided to do a bit of research, and it seems in googling and zpost advanced search, all I could come up with was z4mnyc's unsuccessful nightmare of a stepped V1 experience.

Does anybody else have experience with the stepped V1?

Link to z4mnyc's header FS listing:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ght=v1+stepped

Some of his frustrations with the header voiced here as well:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503205

I would realllly appreciate whatever help you can offer. The V1 stepped is my first choice so if it's a viable option I don't want to discount it altogether just bc of one poor experience.

Cheers!
      11-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

...installed in my car.

Have to run a spacer under aluminum pan that has the jack pad for front axle to clear the header.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbanick View Post
...installed in my car.

Have to run a spacer under aluminum pan that has the jack pad for front axle to clear the header.
I read your thread as well. iirc yours was just the V1 and not stepped. I'm going to check again.
      11-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
...installed in my car.

Took a quick glance at it again, I'm fairly certain your install was for the V1 header. The stepped requires you to mate the header to their stepped section 1 as well.
      11-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

I have v1 stepped for certain! There is a slip joint that unions the headers and secondary cats/test pipes.

Last edited by sabbanick; 11-14-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
If you asked Jack @ CP earlier, I replied to him. I have them on my car (and actually bought the headers from that thread). Since the modification was done by the previous owner, I've had nothing but good things to say. No CEL. Very happy, with huge power gains.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
I have v1 stepped for certain! There is a slip joint that unions the headers and secondary cats/test pipes.

whoops, i made the wrong assumption then. do you have supersprint's stepped section 1 pipe?
      11-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
If you asked Jack @ CP earlier, I replied to him. I have them on my car (and actually bought the headers from that thread). Since the modification was done by the previous owner, I've had nothing but good things to say. No CEL. Very happy, with huge power gains.
ohh so it was you who got the deal of the millenium on headers! haha

what concerns me is that z4mnyc sent in his first set of headers because of fitment issues and then decided to modify his second set. i don't know that i want to be doing that. did you buy supersprints stepped section 1 pipe or do some sort of custom alternative?
      11-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Jack @ CP made me a custom section 1. It's identical to the Supersprint catted section 1. I ordered a Supersprint connecting pipe through him, and then he welded in HJS cats. Cost about 2/3 of a Supersprint catted section 1. Only reason I went with HJS is because my car is supercharged. Otherwise, Magnaflows would have been fine.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Jack @ CP made me a custom section 1. It's identical to the Supersprint catted section 1. I ordered a Supersprint connecting pipe through him, and then he welded in HJS cats. Cost about 2/3 of a Supersprint catted section 1. Only reason I went with HJS is because my car is supercharged. Otherwise, Magnaflows would have been fine.
Great to hear! an no check engine lights either, sweet. what tune are you running?
      11-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

I have the SS hi flow cats. Full setup
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
I have the SS hi flow cats. Full setup
Thank you for chiming in bud. I'm still not sure of my commitment to the group buy, but if I go through with it I will keep you all posted and informed!
      01-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
DanFromTucson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
Thank you for chiming in bud. I'm still not sure of my commitment to the group buy, but if I go through with it I will keep you all posted and informed!
Did you end up going through with the group buy? I have a set of SS V1 that I was planning to send out for coating before installing. I've been waiting to hear more results to make sure they fit first though.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
Gallardo Rosso
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

I think you need to test fit the headers. Most require a "small adjustment" which translates to a cut and weld on one leg of one header. Pretty messy on coated header since you would have to grind the coating back to weld it.

The trans is different and I believe the lower passenger side lug of the bell housing is in the way compared to E46 M3.

I would hold off on coating. The bad part is putting the car out of commission for multiple weeks by the time you drop the headers, test fit, cut, weld, coat, install... Or remove headers, fit, reinstall stock till your unit returns from coating.

Hopefully your doing it your self. Because at $80 an hour that could get expensive at an indie shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #15
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 M coupe

I had mine full race setup with v1s on.... no fitmint issue... but cel.... the installer has done something and the cel light isnt coming on so far... once thats passed emissions I may supercharge and tune.... pending cel issue for me
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #16
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Here are my headers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #17
DanFromTucson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo Rosso View Post
I think you need to test fit the headers.
Thanks for the responses guys. I agree that I probably need to test fit. I may skip coating altogether since this is my daily driver.

My headers are definitely the correct part number that SS sells for the Z4m, and I have the SS cats as well. I purchased these in the Evolve group buy. These are VERY pricy components to require modification in order to fit. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that maybe it was just an earlier batch that didn't fit well.

If anyone else has experience installing these, please keep the details coming!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #18
Gallardo Rosso
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches
Here are my headers
I think the part numbers have always been the same... Just maybe jigging wasn't great. Who knows, they may have fixed the problem.

I fit up my V1's last night with no interference. The bank one (front most) header comes pretty close to the lower control arm bushing and just touches the heat shield.

I think it will be ok. Especially if coated. I might stuff a small piece of thermal insulation in the gap for extra piece of mind.

I also installed a set of vibratechnics engine mounts at the same time with no interference there either. But the front two engine mount bolts were completely backed out and the accumulator was dangling loose. The little bolt holding the power steering hose bracket was backing out too!

The rear oxygen sensor on bank two (rear most) header seems to be a pretty tight fit if not impossible. I don't plan on installing it so I'm not too worried.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #19
DanFromTucson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sounds good, Gallardo Rosso! For reference, I think the part number we're talking about is 04 40 01. My headers have this printed on an attached decal.

I haven't fully researched the O2 sensor placement yet. What isthe rear sensor used for? We do have emissions testing here, so I'm hoping to pass with the SS cats and some Evolve tuning magic.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #20
Gallardo Rosso
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromTucson
Sounds good, Gallardo Rosso! For reference, I think the part number we're talking about is 04 40 01. My headers have this printed on an attached decal.

I haven't fully researched the O2 sensor placement yet. What isthe rear sensor used for? We do have emissions testing here, so I'm hoping to pass with the SS cats and some Evolve tuning magic.
If your running the cat'd Section 1 then you will screw the rear o2's in behind the cats not in the header. Hopefully, that alone will make the ECU happy and not throw CEL's... But evolve tune will make sure if it. Did you block off the EGR and remove the air pump?
Appreciate 0