ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Windshield headache

Went through a crappy 2 week period with the Z but figured before I put everything behind and out of my mind, to give you guys a heads up on 2 issues which you could come across in the future:

Everything for me started when I noticed the liquid membrane had burst and had fluid filling up the rear view mirror. If you did not know, that mirror is made from unicorn dust and costs 500+. Not wanting to spend all that money I was left with only option of removing the mirror and sending it off for repair. This part is well documented in the BMW community and I decided to go with Sybesma based out of Michigan. What you do is to take the mirror off the car and sent it to them and they repair and ship back. Total cost is 108+ your cost to ship the mirror. The turn around time for me was 5 days including a weekend and that was with the cheapest option. I don't think the extra rush cost is worth it at all.

Link

While trying to remove the plastic trims around the base of the mirror to remove it, I managed to accidentally crack the windshield It was so comical and such a deflating moment when I had one thumb on the trim and next thing I see is a long crack going across the whole glass. So to the fun part. Couple of calls to insurance and dealer, dealer wants 1600 for the job and insurance pretty much won't cover this because to them it is a job that costs 400 bucks (via Safelite) and won't cover above that. At this point I called a glass shop recommended by a bodyshop to find a good quality OE glass. To my surprise and his none of his suppliers had the glass for our cars. I called at least a dozen more glass shops and no one had this glass. At this point my only option was to either go through Safelite and end up with a subpar chinese glass and questionable install or buy from dealer @500 and install via my shop @225 more and deal with logistics nightmare of wasting 2 days trying to order and bring car in and wait for install. On the day before I was going to the dealer to order, glass shop calls me and says he got his hands on a Sekurit glass and can install it for 460. Needless to say after having the car sitting around and idle for 2 weeks I didn't care about the cost and just wanted to get it done and over.

TL;DR notes: If mirror gets liquidy, GL taking it off the car. My windshield was brittle and replacement is not easy to source.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 4
StickMon636.00
NickyC17448.00
inTgr8r2425.50
3GFX722.50
      10-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
A while back I was cleaning my car and the back side of my hand "popped" the underside of the mirror ........ result? Cracked windshield ..... not just a single run, but a spiderweb of a mess. This is either a very bad design or these things are extremely fragile...... or both.
Appreciate 2
StickMon636.00
inTgr8r2425.50
      10-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
A while back I was cleaning my car and the back side of my hand "popped" the underside of the mirror ........ result? Cracked windshield ..... not just a single run, but a spiderweb of a mess. This is either a very bad design or these things are extremely fragile...... or both.
This echoes my experience as well. I think the windshield has a weak point right where the mirror is attached to it. Smallest amount of pressure exerted to it and boom, you are looking at a cracked glass.

antennahead curious to know what was your experience replacing the windshield?

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
m5m3mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M-B C63

Anyone in a larger metro area should shop the local dealers for a quote. The OE windshield is semi-reasonably priced and a few years back my dealer did a perfect job for about $750 inc tax. They had an in-house glass technician who used factory procedures and materials and insisted on keeping the car overnight inside the shop to ensure that the adhesive cured properly. It was a no-brainer to pay a little more for that level of attention to detail.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Wow, much thanks for the heads up on this issue, guys. Will definitely be extra careful when detailing the interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Created a small crack in my windshield trying to install new weatherstripping. Turns out my windshield was installed slightly askew (from the factory) causing there to be excess gap on the passenger side and too narrow of a gap on the drivers side. So far the crack has yet to grow...

Following this story to see what prices/routes I can expect.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2425.50
      10-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. Sounds super frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 12:52 AM   #8
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
Wow, much thanks for the heads up on this issue, guys. Will definitely be extra careful when detailing the interior.
Me too! Wow! Thanks for the heads up.
Now I don't feel so bad about letting the inside of my windshield get so dirty.
      10-10-2017, 12:53 AM   #9
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I cracked mine also while removing the weatherstripping...boy was I angry.
My local windshield guy said he could replace it with "Fy" glass, I looked them up and they are Chinese but he assured me they are quality. Well...it wasn't, it had optical imperfections and made everything look wavy, so I ordered an OEM screen and had that installed. So much better and worth the extra $ imo.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2425.50
      10-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I've heard that OEM glass works much better with the rain sensing systems that most of our cars have. I've seen reports from folks who bought after market and had issues where that system wouldn't work properly with the after market windshield.

Sorry to hear of the snafu - let's hope that's it for the car's life!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #11
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
My local windshield guy said he could replace it with "Fy" glass, I looked them up and they are Chinese but he assured me they are quality. Well...it wasn't, it had optical imperfections and made everything look wavy, so I ordered an OEM screen and had that installed. So much better and worth the extra $ imo.
Funny you say that because my glass guy really was pushing me towards FY saying it's a glass made in Ohio and costs 400 installed but it turns out the quality on these is lacking. Glad I didn't go that route.

Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2425.50
      10-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Wow, thanks for the heads up on this. Whoever could have expected this to happen?

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
This echoes my experience as well. I think the windshield has a weak point right where the mirror is attached to it. Smallest amount of pressure exerted to it and boom, you are looking at a cracked glass.

antennahead curious to know what was your experience replacing the windshield?
We have a local glass shop here that is part of a chain that does a lot of high end vehicles and BMWs. They replaced it and the finished result was perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
We have a local glass shop here that is part of a chain that does a lot of high end vehicles and BMWs. They replaced it and the finished result was perfect.
We love Charleston, and it's only a 3 hr drive. I guess if I crack my windshield, it's a drive to Charleston for some glass and lowcountry eats.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2017, 01:54 AM   #15
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
We love Charleston, and it's only a 3 hr drive. I guess if I crack my windshield, it's a drive to Charleston for some glass and lowcountry eats.

Salty
LOL, yes, the food here is some of the best anywhere for sure. Let me know the next time you guys are down here and I'll meet you somewhere

John
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:28 AM   #16
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
LOL, yes, the food here is some of the best anywhere for sure. Let me know the next time you guys are down here and I'll meet you somewhere

John
Will do, John. It would be great to meet in person, and we shouldn't have any trouble remembering our names.

John
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #17
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Great info here guys!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #18
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
the rear view "twists" on and off
https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...8d&action=view

I couldn't stand the oem mirrow(too small) and bought this off ebay(325i):
Attached Images

10-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #19
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybat View Post
You must have a roadster.
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      10-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #20
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
Funny you say that because my glass guy really was pushing me towards FY saying it's a glass made in Ohio and costs 400 installed but it turns out the quality on these is lacking. Glad I didn't go that route.
Which glass did you go for?
I got my windshield cracked. Bmw quote $1100+.
Local windshield shop( good reputation) quoted $750 BMW OEM glass with labor. They told me there is no after market windshield for the Z4 (rain sensor)...so my insurance paid for OEM. I always get low comprehensive deductible which covers Windshield.

Rear view mirror - I had that issue too lol.
Got it fixed from Texas shop...radarmirror.
$100 for 1 yr warranty.
$120 for lifetime...I went With lifetime warranty...flawless job.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #21
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybat View Post
the rear view "twists" on and off
https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...8d&action=view

Is the Z4 mount the same? Ours looks much wider than what was shown in the video. Even with the casing removed there is more heft that that. I really like how easily that one came off.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #22
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Great info, unfortunately on a rotten bit of luck. Thank you though.
Appreciate 0