ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Smile Michelin Primacy Mxm4 Zp

I decided that the run-flat tire was still my choice overall after reading user comments, research, and my driving habits. So I just ordered the following tires.
Brand: MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4 ZP 90 BSW
Part #: 32346
Size: 225/45-17
Speed Rating: V
Type: GRAND TOURING ALL-SEASON
UTQG: 500AA

The best part.... got them for $89.00 each at onlinetires DOT com Too bad spring is still 6 weeks or more away.
Good deal?

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I'm not a fan of runflat tires but aren't these $250-$300 tires? How in the world did you get them for $89 ea?

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I'm not a fan of runflat tires but aren't these $250-$300 tires? How in the world did you get them for $89 ea?
Exactly...up here in Canada, these tires non-run flat are that price...the ZP (Zero Pressure) are well over $350

I was searching for tires on a number of sites and a friend told me about onlinetires.com and I just did a search for run flat in my size. Believe me when I seen the price......I JUMPED on them without hesitation.

I decided that given a lot of pro's and con's the runflat (RFT) was still the way to go for me. From everything I have read...the newer generation RFT are much softer ride than the factory Bridgestones I have now.

But after almost 7 years of service...I am choosing to take them off and be 'safe' as the rears are maybe good for a few thousand more miles.

Considering the specs and info I found on these tires...I will be a VERY satisfied customer.

Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I know those even in non-run flat form leave a lot to be desired in terms of traction, but they're probably quiet and will last a while. Good deal though, at that price you can afford to roast through them..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
I know those even in non-run flat form leave a lot to be desired in terms of traction, but they're probably quiet and will last a while. Good deal though, at that price you can afford to roast through them..
I will somewhat agree with you on this. But let me clear up the message a bit.

Michelin makes two fleets of tires now....the Pilot and the Primacy.

The Primacy MXM4 was designed as a touring tire rather than hardcore performance rubber, Michelin is now making that differentiation clearer by filing touring tires under the Primacy sub-brand and performance tires under the Pilot sub-brand. The Pilot MXM4 will be slowly phased out over the next several years so customers loyal to the model will have time to adjust.

I specifically bought the Primacy ones due to being touring...not performance. I don't track my car...or drive it hard. But based on every review I have read, people I spoke with who own these (both in RFT and non_RFT) they all love them.

Then one advantage I wanted and these tires have, is the fact they are quite....having a roadster...I did not want noisy tires, and these are known to be very quite. I will sacrifice a bit of traction that the Pilot series gives, over noise levels.

Either way...I know I got a great deal and will love them.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Sounds like you did the research and got the right thing for your application. I wish more people would do research like this and review tires as such. For instance, someone looking for a high performance tire would probably call these tires garbage, but you might negatively review a set of "performance" tires as noisy and fast wearing...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

I agree, with almost anything...I do a lot of research. I ensure I know what my requirements are first and foremost. It is so easy for people to be swayed by glossy pictures, cool bells and whistles, and general bullcrap from vendors/sellers on anything.

As you stated...these will fit my application perfectly. These are not for speed demons or very hard and aggressive rollers. But they are very capable if needed to at any given time.

Funny...I just talked my friend out of buying the exact same tire. WHY? He loves to burn rubber....these are not meant for such purposes.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
JFleming
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 328i xdrive, '07 Z4 3.0si

Thanks

I agree about the new run flats. they are much better now that olders ones. I put some 2nd gen rf's on my 328xi. World of difference from the original Continentals.

I ordered a set of these for my Z4. They seem like they will be just what I have been looking for. ($431 for 4 tires delivered to my door)

I will update with a report once they are mounted, the snow melts, and I take the Z4 out of storage!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

where did you find them for 431?
      02-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
where did you find them for 431?
Try this link.... for 225/45/17 which is what I bought.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...p+90v+bsw.html

Even the retail price is almost 1/3 of what I'd have to pay locally in Canada.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Thanks, I found them last night but it said out of stock, thanks for the link.. any idea why they only have 30,000 mile warranty ?
      02-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
JFleming
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 328i xdrive, '07 Z4 3.0si

I just check right now and it looks like they still have them. (the "picture" of the tires says the image is not available, but the tires seem to be)

30k warranty is for the run flats (ZP). see:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...Fag7Mgodnx4AEw
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFleming View Post
I just check right now and it looks like they still have them. (the "picture" of the tires says the image is not available, but the tires seem to be)

30k warranty is for the run flats (ZP). see:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...Fag7Mgodnx4AEw

Yes, the ZP tires have a bit less KMS aka MILES . . .

Warranties (4 Warranties)

45,000 Mile Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited Warranty
Speed Rating : [H, V]

35,000 Mile Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited Warranty
Speed Rating : [W, Y]

30,000 Mile Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited Warranty
Primacy™ HP ZP
Speed Rating : [H, V, W, Y]

ZP (Zero Pressure) tires - The maximum mileage warranty for ZP tires is 30,000 miles.

Still that is actually very good for a run-flat warranty. Lot of companies don't warranty run-flats at all.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

interesting, i did not know that.. I actually opt out of buying these.. my other car needs new tires more than my z4... my existing tires are still good, ill have to run them down before buying new tires.. having a baby leaves the z4 very little run time