ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-23-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
dfet
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 Maldives Blue

Whats missing??

I just bought my 2003 Z4 2.5 on Thursday from a used car dealer. It is about a 15 mile drive from the dealer to home and some of our notorious SC roads are rough.
I didn't hit any potholes but did encounter some rough patched paving.

When I got home and got out of the car I noticed that the front cover was jutting out from the fenders on both sides and was loose. I already had noticed and was aware that the lower grille screen was missing. I also knew that the front cover had been painted, but a really great job. The former owner told the dealer that he repainted the front cover because of rock chips. Now I suspect that was BS.

I reached down and pulled at the lower center of the bumper fascia and it is very loose like it was not attached to anything. I know that can't be right.

I don't know what is missing???????? Does anyone have pictures of the Z under the front between the cover and a/c condenser? It would be a help because parts blow-ups that I have looked at are not very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

There are 3 undertray pieces and 2 fender clips integral to keeping the bumper fascia in place.
The fender clips are where you describe the front cover is jutting out. You may just need to snap the cover back into those.
The undertray parts are as shown in the pic. Disregard the grille, it sounds like that is the piece that is missing on your car.
There will be 2 side pieces and the centre tray they all bolt or screw together.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

The side clips are likely broken from removal of the bumper skin during repaint.
....or damaged by the original owner if it was a minor incident.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
dfet
Rep

Thanks for the help guys. I don't have that tray/shield. I do think that the fender clips are broken. I'm not as flexible as I once was but I got down and looking through the opening where the grille should be I can see a plastic part that is broke. I have already got the screen/grille part.
Now I guess I will try to figure out the part numbers on the BMW parts catalog and get those ordered.
Is that tray/shield something that is needed?

I'm going to get it right with the help of the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=LT27360

Plug the last 7 digits of your vin in to the above to get part numbers.
I would buy these parts aftermarket if possible. OEM bits are pricey.
I would source the undertray from ECS Tuning as an aftermarket piece and not go OEM.
The side pieces are not produced aftermarket as far as I know and neither are the fender clips. They are available at ECS Tuning, Turner etc for less than buying at dealer.

Edit, the tray is what ties the bumper to the structure, otherwise it flaps in the wind. If the tray is missing now just push on the lower middle of the bumper and see how much movement you have. Now just imagine air hitting it at 60 mph.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 04-23-2017 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
dfet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=LT27360

Plug the last 7 digits of your vin in to the above to get part numbers.
I would buy these parts aftermarket if possible. OEM bits are pricey.
I would source the undertray from ECS Tuning as an aftermarket piece and not go OEM.
The side pieces are not produced aftermarket as far as I know and neither are the fender clips. They are available at ECS Tuning, Turner etc for less than buying at dealer.

Edit, the tray is what ties the bumper to the structure, otherwise it flaps in the wind. If the tray is missing now just push on the lower middle of the bumper and see how much movement you have. Now just imagine air hitting it at 60 mph.

Where and what exactly does the tray bolt to? I cant find a picture showing that. I really need to see another car I suppose.
I will look at ECS for sure, but I am fortunate that I have a good connection at my local BMW store. The lower panel does move for sure. I have not found the part number for the tray yet though. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Pictures would help.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

My car is still apart at the front so no pics of mine.
I scoured the interwebs, nothing real good of a Zed

Here is the tray that bolts to the aluminum reinforcing plate (that is bolted to the chassis and sits under the oil pan) and to the bottom of the lower grille.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...51717012723kt/

Also
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_4957
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
dfet
Rep

Quote:
My car is still apart at the front so no pics of mine.
I scoured the interwebs, nothing real good of a Zed

Here is the tray that bolts to the aluminum reinforcing plate (that is bolted to the chassis and sits under the oil pan) and to the bottom of the lower grille.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...51717012723kt/

Also
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_4957
I really appreciate the help!!!! Is that tray metal or plastic? I will get one ordered right away. I just want to get everything I need. So this is attached directly to the bottom of the lower grille?

The ECS part looks nothing like the BMW part if it supposed to be #1. How wide is this part?
does it go from side to side?

Last edited by dfet; 04-23-2017 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #10
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

OK I had some time today to assemble my front end.
Red circles are 3 screws attaching tray to reinforcing plate
Blue circle is 1 of 3 push rivets attaching tray to lower grille.
Green is the reinforcing plate.
What you cannot see us the 2 side trays that are below the leading edges of the bumper. These also have 2 screws attaching them to the undertray.

You are right about the tray I linked not looking the same as OEM, the aftermarket tray does not have the vertical piece at the very front.
The tray in the pic is the ECS piece
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #11
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfet View Post
I really appreciate the help!!!! Is that tray metal or plastic? I will get one ordered right away. I just want to get everything I need. So this is attached directly to the bottom of the lower grille?

The ECS part looks nothing like the BMW part if it supposed to be #1. How wide is this part?
does it go from side to side?
And another pic.
Site only allows one pic per post with Ipad
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #12
dfet
Rep

Quote:
OK I had some time today to assemble my front end.
Red circles are 3 screws attaching tray to reinforcing plate
Blue circle is 1 of 3 push rivets attaching tray to lower grille.
Green is the reinforcing plate.
What you cannot see us the 2 side trays that are below the leading edges of the bumper. These also have 2 screws attaching them to the undertray.

You are right about the tray I linked not looking the same as OEM, the aftermarket tray does not have the vertical piece at the very front.
The tray in the pic is the ECS piece
Outstandind I can see that this forum is going to be very helpful!
I am going to order the part today and hope that I can put it back together solid enough to hold up. You don't know how much I appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0