ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Canada's climate varies widely and there are areas which have pretty well no snow and some with less snow than parts of the lower 48. That said for Canada each province has their own mandate just like each state does in the US. In NS I'm south of Minneapolis for example and in a much more moderate climate.

There is no province which requires studded tires. Studs are only useful in icy conditions and there is a large drawback with them on clear pavement. In fact winter tires (without studs) are only mandated in one province I'm aware of - Quebec, although others are looking at changing. Where I live over half the people run all seasons but at least some see the wisdom of being safer on the road.

I agree with you on the Z4 ground clearance. It's way too low especially with a drop to attempt travel on any depth of snow of snow over 4-5 inches and less in hilly areas like where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyD View Post
The coupe with the hard top would be more protected from the elements than the roadster with the soft top. That's what I meant. I don't think I'd want to drive around in the cold with a soft top. Handling, yes, they are effectively the same (minus the slightly stiffer chassis of the coupe which means nothing for snow traction).

I looked up studded tire rules in Massachusetts:
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/miscellaneous.htm

Looks like you could use studded tires up there in Boston if you wanted to. They are banned in Maryland.

My point is that I haven't needed them with driving through some very tricky snow covered Pennsylvania roads with regular winter/snow tires that are non-studded.

Huz-Z, I'm sure Canada roads are very treacherous and studded tires are required. Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, maybe not so much.

Winters where I'm at right now (DC/Baltimore) are very light on average compared to where I frequently travel during the holidays to visit family - up near the Great Lakes with the severe lake-effect snow. I drove right by SUVs stuck in ditches who probably had four wheel drive but all season tires.

Still, if you will need to drive when the snow is more than 6 inches deep, you might want to think about a different car for the winter and garage the Z4. Snow tires won't help the Z4's lack of ground clearance.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #24
ebruder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

ScottyD's experience is EXACTLY the same as mine, including the same Dunlop WinterSport M3 tires. His advice is right on the mark.

I feel more able in my Z4MC than in my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee with full time 4WD, as my car can stop and turn much better than an SUV with "all season" tires. Acceleration and hill climbing traction with the LSD in the M is very good.

I can certainly understand that many Z owners do not want to subject their cars to winter conditions, but I have no such reservations. After 3 winters the underside shows no road salt corrosion.

The one downside for me is that the car does get incredibly dirty, but a wash takes care of that.

Enjoy your car whichever way you go.

EB
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #25
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoSpeed View Post
Indeed I'm currently looking at Honda Civics', Nissan Altimas'/Sentras' as a second car option. Just the thought of all that salt on my M makes me cringe.
Those sound like good options - cheap and front wheel drive, and who cares if some careless driver accidentally hits you (not severely, anyway). The all season tires that are probably on those may not work out too well for you though. A two wheel drive car with proper tires could probably move easier in the snow than than a 4 wheel drive car with poor tires.

I really wouldn't worry about the salt. BMW warranties their cars for 12 years and unlimited miles against corrosion. Those Hondas and Nissans were probably only warrantied for 3 years against corrosion. The Germans build a durable all-weather car.

RBull, that's interesting to hear. I was aware of the required snow tires in Quebec, but I'm suprised they're not required elsewhere. Funny to hear that some parts of Canada may be nicer in the winter than here in the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #26
ManoSpeed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
No doubt; I have a lot of faith in BMW workmanship and the quality of their cars. Compared to my 2007 MazdaSpeed3 the quality, build, fit, and workmanship is day and night, but I still remember what the interior of my MS3 looked like after a Chicago winter with salt all over the interior. Plus there is the other drivers I have to factor in the equation. If someone hits me, not only will I be majorly PISSED, but the car's value will plummet as well since it will be on the record as being in an accident.

I figure I need about 2K with wheels and blizzaks. I might as well throw in 2K more and get a daily commuter and keep the M in the garage next to my BMW GS Adventure motorcycle for company.
Appreciate 0