ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #23
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I've checked pricing at several locations.
I don't see that TR has any kind of exclusive on them.
Thought you were working today
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #24
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoltan View Post
I have ran a full season (4 track weekends) on my first set of Dunlop Star Specs and need to replace the rears. Now I found out that Tire Rack has an exclusive and have jacked up the cost. Need 2- 275-35-18's. Got any?
Discount Tire Direct has them. You just have to special order.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #25
jsoltan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe, 13 328i

I called Discount Tire Direct and the sales rep called Dunlop and they indicated that Tire Rack had an exclusive. If you have found them on other sites let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #26
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoltan View Post
I called Discount Tire Direct and the sales rep called Dunlop and they indicated that Tire Rack had an exclusive. If you have found them on other sites let me know.
wow, that's very surprising
Good thing I don't use Star Specs anymore (since they don't have 19" sizes)...I've always been against the grain and never thought much of TireRack
I only like using their surveys and test results sometimes to see what good tires are out these days. But they don't carry some brands, such as Nitto, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #27
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

How much cheaper can you get than $255 for an extreme performance tire in this size?
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #28
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
I'm advanced run group in all the local orgs and I won't use r-comps because I know I still have learning to do and you can't learn on an R-Comp because it stays stuck to the road even when you're doing something stupid so you can learn very bad habits.
I see what you are saying, but I think you are taking that too far.

R-compound tires do not simply stay glued to the road to cover up your mistakes. They don't have unlimited grip. They have their limits just like any other tire. They do have different grip vs slip angle characteristics. In general, their grip will be higher than street tires at comparatively lower slip angles, but then will fall sharply as slip angles increase so you can't push them the way you would on a street tire and expect them to hold. So, you need to be more attentive to what they are doing and manage your slip angles or you'll end up off the road. That is not necessarily a bad thing as it forces you to pay more attention to what your tires are doing and be proactive with corrections as opposed to being reactive. In other words, they require a somewhat different set of skills and sensitivities to drive effectively. Those are skills one has to ultimately master if one wants to be fast.

If you make mistakes, you lose time. That has nothing to do with what kind of tire you are on. If you know where you are losing time, then you know where you made a mistake, so you can try to correct it. By mistake, I don't necessarily mean an incident. Even a small thing like not straightening the wheel as quickly as you could have coming out of a turn will cost you time.

The issue is figuring out where you lose time. In many cases, you can figure that without an objective measurement, but in others that doesn't cut it. A basic lap timer is a good start and will reveal the effects of more obvious mistakes, but for the subtle stuff a GPS unit is necessary. I also find it useful to take along an experienced driver who knows how to read sector times from a stopwatch so that he can tell me what's happening in real time.

Of course, I am not advocating any of this for a beginner or an intermediate driver. It's just that you can (and will need to) learn on r-compound tires if you approach the whole thing the right way.
      01-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #29
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

check this for cheap spares when you get the r888's

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477754

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0