ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #23
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
I didn't look up the definitions of the words in the dictionary. Sorry if my grasp of the niceties of the English language is lacking, but I am from Georgia so I do have some excuse.
I don't know if I buy that reasoning, seeing as how I'm from Kentucky myself, but even so I was just clarifying, not correcting you. I was brought up to believe you don't correct other adults on word usage or pronunciation.

The word "classic" is pretty nebulous in most people's minds - usually they picture any nice, old car. Others think it's only something on the green at Pebble Beach. The AACA, the closest we've got to an authority in the US, says it's got to be built before WW2, which most people of a younger vintage don't set with. Given all that, I just wanted to clear up the phrase before continuing the discussion.

Fair warning: don't get me started on defining "rare" as it applies to cars. That word also comes up a lot in discussing the Z4 M Coupe's future.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #24
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

The Z3M was a cult classic IMo. The Z4M is not so much cult, but much more fun / responsive to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #25
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
The Z3M was a cult classic IMo. The Z4M is not so much cult, but much more fun / responsive to drive.
I owned a Z3MC before my current Z4MC. It was very responsive and a lot of fun to drive. Admittedly it had a TC Kline suspension, engine mods, better wheels and tires, exhaust, and etc. Getting the rear suspension right with different bushings, springs, and shocks made a huge difference. But in some ways I liked it better than the Z4. The interior was more cohesive with an updated vintage look, round dial instruments with chrome ring surrounds, traditional BMW gauge cluster, etc. It also had outstanding outward visibility with no blind spots, unlike the Z4 which is claustrophobic. I was not a big fan of the "clown shoe" styling, but it was purposeful and practical. I totally enjoyed the Z3MC and have only fond memories of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #26
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
I owned a Z3MC before my current Z4MC. It was very responsive and a lot of fun to drive. Admittedly it had a TC Kline suspension, engine mods, better wheels and tires, exhaust, and etc. Getting the rear suspension right with different bushings, springs, and shocks made a huge difference. But in some ways I liked it better than the Z4. The interior was more cohesive with an updated vintage look, round dial instruments with chrome ring surrounds, traditional BMW gauge cluster, etc. It also had outstanding outward visibility with no blind spots, unlike the Z4 which is claustrophobic. I was not a big fan of the "clown shoe" styling, but it was purposeful and practical. I totally enjoyed the Z3MC and have only fond memories of it.
I too had a fully equipped Z3M (Stoptechs / TC Kline / Headers / Intake / Exhaust, etc) and now have a similarly equipped Z4M.

The Z3M usually got one of three comments "wow what is that" "wow that's an ugly car" or "wow that's one of my favorite body styles of all time". The Z4M usually gets much more positive comments from everyone, most don't know what it is. It definitely doesn't feel like the same "cult ownership" that my Z3M did, but I think overall it definitely was an improvement in drive ability and comfort in every aspect, as it should be.

for comparisons

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #27
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

My Z3MC

My Z4MC

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #28
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

onelove, your z3mc is stunning!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #29
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
Just add this http://www.bespokeventures.com/blog/...rick-callahan/ maybe a repost but definitely worth it the reading.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #30
gigtime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

I always thought the Z3 was more likely to become a classic than the Z4 because it had kind of a timeless design. And the Z3 coupe is so unusual I can see it showing up in car magazines (or the digital equivalent) in 20 years. Hard to say with the Z4. I get compliments on mine all the time and few realize it's an 8 year-old car. It doesn't hurt that the e89 doesn't, to the causal observer, look that much different from my `03. I don't see it appreciating in value, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #31
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
Funny what will make a car desirable in 20 years time is often not appreciated now - it is all supply and demand but a big factor over a quarter century is numbers of cars available.

Some collectible corvettes now were made in the thousands 30 years ago - now they say it is one of 30 left - my Z-4 M coupe, even with a shortened race history, does have the famous straight 6 M motor in a coupe. It is Imola red and based on some research it is one of 35 red 2006 M coupes ever built. The other 1800 in NA are included in the next couple of years but the total number is never going up. As they depreciate they are worth less and less to a lot of owners and the really nice examples become even rarer.

The design is a classic "shooting brake" british design as is the Jaguar XKE, Shelby coupe, 240 z nissan, Early FORD gt - it may be a little odd to some but in a while considering all newer cars are becoming clones - rounded smoothed off gas savers, the different ones will be rare.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #32
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

e86m will most definitely follow in the steps of the z3m as will the e85m to the z3m roadster. The z3m roadsters are roughly 25% cheaper than the coupes, but they have appreciated in recent years, but mostly limited to the s54 variants

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #33
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Do you think that the e86 is as unusual as the original M Coupe? I think that has a lot to do with why the Z3MC is appreciating.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #34
biped
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 e38, 01 e38, 07 z4mc

It will be interesting to see what the immediate future of fuels does to cars/collectors/values.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #35
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

In 20 years I might be dead (or tomorrow for that matter), but today... I smile my Freaking ASS off every time I get behind the wheel of my Z4M (R)

I hated how the Z4 looked when it came out, but now... I keep looking back at it as I leave it parked.

I drank the koolaid
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #36
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
In 20 years I might be dead (or tomorrow for that matter), but today... I smile my Freaking ASS off every time I get behind the wheel of my Z4M (R)

I hated how the Z4 looked when it came out, but now... I keep looking back at it as I leave it parked.

I drank the koolaid
I must be unique; as soon as I saw a Z4, I wanted one. And I do the same thing when I park my car LOL!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #37
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Z8 yes, Z4 no. Far too accessible and those that have them drive them. Just enjoy a great car and expect normal depreciation.

@ricanbandit, I do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #38
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I don't think it'll ever be as "cult classic" as the z3m (with the S54).

A recent search on cars.com revealed that the most expensive z3mc for sale is a few grand than the most expensive z4mc for sale right now. Might mean something...might not. Time will tell if the price for the Z4mc ever goes up though.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #39
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Just some fuel for the fire:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear.com car reviews
Feels like a modern muscle car; the ride might be a bit firm, but nothing puts a smile on your face like a BMW Z4 Coupe. It’s a modern legend.

*Comfort

Possibly not. The ride is hard, there's not much headroom and you can't see anything that's further than 20ft from the rear windscreen because of the sloping roofline. But who gives a stuff? Sit down, shut up and hold on.
Rated 10 out of 20

*Performance

Two engines: 3.0-litre straight six with 265bhp, 0-62mph in 5.7 seconds and 155mph top end. That's fine and dandy until you drive the last-generation M3-engined Z4M Coupe with a 3.2-litre, 340bhp straight-six that'll get to 62mph in just five and head-butt the limiter at 155mph.
Rated 10 out of 20

*Cool

The Coupe is one of the coolest cars currently in production and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. As was the last one, actually, the now-deceased BMW Coupe.
Rated 15 out of 20

*Quality

Built like it should be; simple and strong. No issues here, though the silver plastic in the cabin can look a bit cheap in some lights.
Rated 14 out of 20

*Handling

Tail happy, hefty steering, no run-flats, no extra gubbins. The Z4 Coupe is pure joy for the driver. It's got huge grip, rides like a racing car and demands your attention all the time. Perfect.
Rated 13 out of 20

*Practicality

It's a hatch, but only small at 240 litres. It's got two seats, but don't apply if you're some sort of 6ft 4in super bean. You can't see out of the back and parking is a complete bugger. But you won't care after five minutes on a country lane.
Rated 6 out of 20

*Running costs

Group 18 or 20 for the pair of variants for insurance, 32-percent tax hit for the 3.0-litre, the full whack for the ‘M' car. Best compromise? The ‘M' car. No, really.
I know they got the goodies in Europe, but truth be told, the car has rarity going for it. Its driving dynamic guarantees a culling of the herd, so to speak. The 944 Turbo S is what it reminds me of in its own way.

Predicting car values - especially modern cars - is like predicting lotto numbers. I'll be interested to see what happens down the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #40
GrayZ4C
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
e86m will most definitely follow in the steps of the z3m as will the e85m to the z3m roadster. The z3m roadsters are roughly 25% cheaper than the coupes, but they have appreciated in recent years, but mostly limited to the s54 variants
As a classic car guy I was interested in this thread but I can not find any data that proves that any of the Z3's are in fact appreciating. What I have found is they have not bottomed out on the depreciation curve and seem to have a little more to go. One perfect low mile car that sells for top dollar normally does not "set the market" at the auctions for the rest.

As far as the Z4 cars, only time will tell (lots of time), but I can tell you one thing, save those rims, seats, and anything else the car came with because only the cars that are stock get the big bucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #41
GrayZ4C
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 coupe

I take it back. The numbers for April show a gain, much more than a summer bump. 3 to 4k across the board- retail, wholesale, and private party
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #42
dazed^
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
Z8 yes, Z4 no. Far too accessible and those that have them drive them. Just enjoy a great car and expect normal depreciation.
Depends on your definition of "normal". Compared to say a 328, our cars hold their value a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #43
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

For what its worth, Hagerty just offered to insure my Mcoupe. And they only insure collectibles ,classics, or rare cars. I just thought of it since they insure my 2002 and they seem to think it's a rare/collectable car. It's more than half off of what I'm paying now so I might do it. For those that DD the cars it won't work though.

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 02:08 AM   #44
CobraR1339
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post

I drank the koolaid
The Bangled design of the Z4 is timeless IMO. It is the future ..and now the past. The long hood is Jag and like one said 240Z. Will it go up?, I doubt it, Sideways for the M versions likely, but the mileage will be the factor. Low mile examples will be worth more. I predict it will bottom at low 20's and hold or rise from there. Keep your cars in good shape and you should be rewarded.

The only modern BMW to hold it's value is the Z8. The car was/is cool. But not a Super Car in handling or perfromance standards too me. There are others that have dipped and come back from weak values. Been shopping Z8's for a couple years. So rare it's hard to find. It reaminas a sellers market.

The Z M Coupe is better looking than the old couple IMO. But I believe the Roadster has broader appeal, it also means more miles, smiles an with that , more wear and lower values by about 20% 10-20 years from now. Just enjoy it. The big hit is over. The new Z 2009 is not the Drivers car the Z4M is. The Z9 M is the better more acceptable car , but it is a cruiser. The Z4M is that last Raw BMM IMO. The Raw , simple cars always win in value
Appreciate 0