ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Braille 15# installed

I am thinking of going to the Braille 15# or 17# battery with the HPA bracket vesus the stock 45# battery. Intended usage will be warm weather only, trickle charger between drives.

Does anyone here have any experience good or bad with these batteries? Longevity? Faults?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by blender; 01-08-2012 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

I got the 11 pound Braille last year. It has been a good battery, but I will say that you cannot leave the car on without the engine running (like I did for five minutes at the post office so that my wife could have the heated seats on + daytime running lights were on too). We had to push the car to start.

In the summers, it isn't bad, but in the winters, it can strain sometimes to crank, but never failed to do so other than the one example above. I am happy with the battery, and would buy it again knowing what I do today. I saved about 35 pounds, and have a whole lot of space where the battery was.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

JMO but it's not worth the cost.
Weight savings is one thing, but it's at the wrong end of the car to be dropping lbs.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

Well it depends on what you are using the car for. Between seats,wheels, battery, and miscellaneous items, I have saved 200 pounds, and it has come from all parts of the car. To flatly state that weight should not be removed because it is from a particular side of the car is a little too narrow in my view. Plus, 35 pounds can easily be compensated for by a small adjustment in corner balance. Perfect 50-50 is not going to be as significant in my view as a lighter car that is, say 49.5%-50.5%.

I would not get the battery for daily driving, but I would get it as part of a comprehensive weight reduction plan.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Do not bother with the carbon batteries. I know of a driver that had to return several of them.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

It seems the EAS guys (reseller) recommend the 15# at a minimum for a daily driver, and opting for the 17# if you have comfort-assist or other juice-hogging options (which I don't).

I'll note the battery change amounts to less than a 1% weight difference ( 30 into 3300+) but every bit helps.

Last edited by blender; 03-09-2011 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
JMO but it's not worth the cost.
Weight savings is one thing, but it's at the wrong end of the car to be dropping lbs.
If you have coil overs it can easily be adjusted to shift the weight back one way or another.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I had an oddyssey pc680 in my 3.0, I liked it
      03-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
I had an oddyssey pc680 in my 3.0, I liked it
Roffle, How long did you have it? Was it a DD or a weekend toy? How long could you let the car sit? Did you need to use a trickle charger? .... Any different handling then a conventional battery? And the big question, would you do it again?
      03-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Roffle, How long did you have it? Was it a DD or a weekend toy? How long could you let the car sit? Did you need to use a trickle charger? .... Any different handling then a conventional battery? And the big question, would you do it again?
Lol....you can tell Lance is an Engineer with his line of thorough questioning..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
from what I remember, it was just like a normal battery. daily driver. didn't trickle charge it. Used in cold climates with no issue. Only issue was to make sure you get car battery posts for it, and making a custom mount for it. I'd do it again, once my oem battery dies
      03-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
If you have coil overs it can easily be adjusted to shift the weight back one way or another.
Trudat....

I wonder how many guys running COs actually get the car corner balanced?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
Lol....you can tell Lance is an Engineer with his line of thorough questioning..
And is that not the kettle calling the pot black? back at you.

I took a look at their website; http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm. Price is very attractive, with free shipping no less.

Last edited by Incompatible; 03-15-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Trudat....

I wonder how many guys running COs actually get the car corner balanced?
I got my coil overs just so I can corner balance the car easily. My MZ4 Coupe sits at nearly the same ride height as OEM.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
And is that not the kettle calling the pot black? back at you.

I took a look at their website; http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm. Price is very attractive, with free shipping no less.
Why I neeeeever,lol

Regarding weight......go with that Odyssey. When the dealer warranty replaced my intermittent OEM unit....they used an even LARGER unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

As Riddler mentioned, don't bother with the carbon fiber batteries. I've had two of them and both failed to hold a charge for more than a day. I since switched to the non-carbon fibre Braille battery and it has worked great. I do leave it on a trickle charger when the car is going to be sitting in the garage for more than 4 days.

It will definitley run down quickly, for example -you need to be careful not to leave the lights on for any period of time without starting the car. I leave a set of jumper cables in the trunk just in case.
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4mnyc View Post
As Riddler mentioned, don't bother with the carbon fiber batteries. I've had two of them and both failed to hold a charge for more than a day. I since switched to the non-carbon fibre Braille battery and it has worked great. I do leave it on a trickle charger when the car is going to be sitting in the garage for more than 4 days.

It will definitley run down quickly, for example -you need to be careful not to leave the lights on for any period of time without starting the car. I leave a set of jumper cables in the trunk just in case.
Mine is primarily weekend use. Would you expect a battery like the Odyssey to drain that fast? TIA
      03-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #18
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

no it won't drain as fast. you can compare specs on their websites
      03-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #19
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

FYI - bracket solution for the Odyssey:

http://www.bimmerhaus.com/vendors/wiles.html

OEM battery = 43-45 lbs.

PC680 + box = 18 lbs.

"Simplify and add lightness" - Colin Chapman.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #20
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I'd dismissed lightweight batteries as an option, but all this talk has gotten me thinking again...Gah!

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #21
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Lightweight Battery Specs

Culled from vendor's websites (their claims, not mine):

The Braille unit is superior on paper to the Odyssey for the 15lb size:

Attachment 497320

Locating suitable Z4/E46 brackets are the issue, not many choices. My opening post has one.

Odyssey explains some terminology:
Cold Cranking Amps: For all the power, durability, and life of our technology, the cca ratings can seem disapointing. That's because the cca ratings are often misunderstood. Odyssey batteries are SLI (starting, lighting and ignition), so if you are looking for a starting or reserve battery the cold cranking numbers can be irrelevant.

The "standard" cca test measures the output of a battery for 30 seconds of crank at 0 degrees with the ending voltage of the battery being 7.2v. Some companies use 15 or 20 seconds and some companies use 32 degrees which can make for better results.

A vehicles starter isn't designed to withstand 30 seconds of cranking so we feel the batteries starting power is more important. The Odyssey part numbers represent the 5 second cranking power of the battery.

The PC680 is rated at 680 amps for 5 seconds, 595 amps for 10 seconds, and 525 amps for 20 seconds. Cranking power is even higher for the first four seconds. Similar sized lead acid batteries are only rated at 180 - 220 amps.

Last edited by blender; 11-21-2012 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Braille 15# installed

Finally got the Braille kit (battery +bracket) installed, after buying the SAE battery posts separately -they were not included in the kit. Weight savings are nearly 30 pounds.

Battery read 12.7v upon arrival. I'll check it in a day or three to see if there's any significant parasitic draw. Ancillary wires in the photo are for an ignition capacitor and a trickle-charger harness. Both appear to be working normally with the new battery. Car starts normally; not worried about especially cold temps here in SoCal.

Last edited by blender; 11-21-2012 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0