ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
slightly dim instruments - possible cause?

My new-to-me '08 M coupe has an odd minor problem - the backlighting on the instruments is not quite up to par, neither the lights around the numerals, or the LCD odometer window. My previous '07 was much brighter in comparison. What might be the cause? I'm thinking perhaps the LCM module, aka the headlight switch. Anyone have any suggestions or experience dealing with this? I don't really want to go fishing and buy a new LCM as they are stupid-expensive. But if that is the definite cause, I'm quite willing to swap it to solve it.
      11-20-2018, 11:40 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
My new-to-me '08 M coupe has an odd minor problem - the backlighting on the instruments is not quite up to par, neither the lights around the numerals, or the LCD odometer window. My previous '07 was much brighter in comparison. What might be the cause? I'm thinking perhaps the LCM module, aka the headlight switch. Anyone have any suggestions or experience dealing with this? I don't really want to go fishing and buy a new LCM as they are stupid-expensive. But if that is the definite cause, I'm quite willing to swap it to solve it.
A BMW cable and publicly available cable programs would tackle this for you, it's going to be under 50 for the cable on Ebay. Assuming you have a Win 7 or Win XP instance you can use you'll be able toi run the software. I've had good luck with Bimmergeeks
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 12:20 AM   #3
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Did you try wiggling the dimmer knob?
There's also an ambient light sensor next to the switch.
My lights will do weird things when the Sun is behind me.
      11-21-2018, 12:52 AM   #4
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yep, I've thoroughly massaged the dimmer dial, no love. Now that I think about it - the light switch was replaced under warranty on my first Z4MC, because it would dim erratically with the dial. Symptoms different now but could be the switch again.

No Windows hardware in my household for the last decade, so I'm SOL there. I wish there was a BMW tool like there is for VW - it's called OBDeleven and uses a Bluetooth-connected OBD2 dongle and Android. VERY easy to use, very comprehensive, inexpensive, and effective.
      11-21-2018, 04:55 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Yep, I've thoroughly massaged the dimmer dial, no love. Now that I think about it - the light switch was replaced under warranty on my first Z4MC, because it would dim erratically with the dial. Symptoms different now but could be the switch again.

No Windows hardware in my household for the last decade, so I'm SOL there. I wish there was a BMW tool like there is for VW - it's called OBDeleven and uses a Bluetooth-connected OBD2 dongle and Android. VERY easy to use, very comprehensive, inexpensive, and effective.
I'm not sure what inexpensive to you means, but there are several good BMW semi-professional diagnostics tools available. One that comes to mind is Foxwell. If you get it from ECS Tuning it comes pre-loaded with BMW software.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #6
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm not sure what inexpensive to you means, but there are several good BMW semi-professional diagnostics tools available. One that comes to mind is Foxwell. If you get it from ECS Tuning it comes pre-loaded with BMW software.
Brilliant! I've been looking for a code reader recently and if this is the one you're referring to...it even does battery registration: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/
      11-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Brilliant! I've been looking for a code reader recently and if this is the one you're referring to...it even does battery registration: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/
That's it. I have one. I also have the Bavarian Tech tool as well. The Schawben unit I keep in the car, which I why I bought it. I think it is a good deal for the price, and you can load other brands scan software from Foxwell.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1188.50
      11-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Have you paid your hydro bill
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So will this Schwaben/Foxwell tool allow me to turn on my inner halo lights as DRLs? My '07 functioned this way, but my "new" '08 does not.

Amazon has the Foxwell-branded version for a bit more $$. Any particular reason to go one way or the other besides cost? Pretty sure I'm gonna get one or the other. Thanks for the suggestion.