ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
bax008
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edgewater, FL

iTrader: (0)

To keep or sell?

I have been thinking about selling my 2005 Z4, the main reason is because we really can't use the car for long travel. We use the car for local weekend driving only. The car has 55,000 miles on it, which is less than 7,000 miles a year. Our life in Florida is a trip up to New Jersey to visit family once a year, this adds 3,000 miles to our car, and 3 or 4 trips to GA to visit our chrildren and grandkids which adds 1,000 per trip.We use our main car for these trips along with my wife driving back and forth to work each week, this averages about 20,000 per year on our main car. We just purshased a 2013 Prius 4 weeks ago and now have 5,000 on it and I haven't made my first payment yet. We made a trip to NJ and a trip to GA. At this point the Z4 has a value, I was offered $16,000 in trade on another car at a dealer last week. The problem is, we both love the Z4 and enjoy the car very much. We are both having a hard time letting the Z4 go. What I'm asking is how many people out there have Z4's with 100,000 miles on them. We are at a tipping point, do we cash in the Z4 now or drive it to 100,000. If we traded the Z4 it would be for a Camery or something we could use for our trips to NJ and GA which would keep the miles off our new Prius.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Finnegan
Major General
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
6,507
Posts

 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track

iTrader: (18)

Not many of us have cars with 100K miles. A few do (one just hit 95K this week, and one ///M M was at 90K IIRC). Mostly these cars are used on weekends, for fun, for AutoX and track.

At the core of the original post are the concepts of practicality and financial return. Neither of these things really apply with a sports car. It's about emotion, joy, feel, enjoyment.

IMO, there's nothing more souless and joyless than a Camry. Going from the Z to that is going to be painful. The Prius is a good performer in its niche, plus you can put a huge amount of stuff in the hatch, which is great for utility and for trips, and sounds like a perfect fit for the other needs you have. Buying a Camry to keep miles off a Prius seems like a bad idea to me. Drive the heck out of the Prius and use the Z4 for some fun, joy, and excitement. If you really enjoy the quality time with the Z4, and have fun with it, you'd really miss it when it's gone! Z4 + Prius and you have the best of both worlds.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Finnegan; 03-31-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
5
Rep
482
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (5)

Oh Jesus don't do it.

From a practical perspective, one needs to consider the cost/benefits of the trade. With a Camry you are going to get a few years newer car with probably 20k less miles. The Camry will be cheaper to maintain, and should have better gas milage. That said, you both love the Z, and it doesn't sound as if you are going to be having any more kids, so needing something more practical isn't as important. Moreover, I would questions if ultimately you didn't end up taking the Prius on the long trips for the gas milage and reliability.

I'm not sure which engine is in your particular z, but I can tell you that with proper maintenance my fiancee's 2002 325xi with 130k is running like it did when she pulled it off the lot. Few on here can remark on what 100k will bring for a Z, but many on here would attest to the longterm reliability of BMW.
__________________

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
b0bab0i
Captain
9
Rep
974
Posts

 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I just hit 100k miles this week and it's an 03. Car used to be a weekend car. Had a daily Camry that got totaled. After the Camry got totaled, just chose to drive the Z4 as a daily.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
GP20
Major
16
Rep
1,203
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (4)

If you want to drive a Camry on long trips, just rent one. You won't get hit with the depreciations and you won't be stuck with a boring POS.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
KLH
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
254
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 3.0si
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Plano, TX

iTrader: (0)

I equate owning sports car to owning motorcyles, which I do. They provide visceral and emotional experiences, each in there individual way. Being rational and practical doesn't enter into the equation. Bottom line, if you feel good about keeping the Z4, keep it, if you don't, sell it.

The Prius is an appliance...'nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
ANUSTART
Captain
ANUSTART's Avatar
12
Rep
956
Posts

 
Drives: Z4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

A well maintained Prius will lasta long, long time. At least long enough to buy time on this decision. I would echo all the above sentiments. If you both love it, it would seem to me it's not the time to make this decision. Not all decisions, in my opinion, come down to money. Joy has a much higher value. Good luck however you proceed.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Captain
United_States
15
Rep
904
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i (RIP) - 2006 Z4MR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

I'm a bit confused. You don't want to put miles on the Z so you got a Prius, but now you don't want to put miles on the Prius so you want to trade the Z for a Camry?

Save the Z for a weekend fun car and put the miles on the Prius. I have the Z as my daily driver but my gf has an Infiniti SUV which we take on long trips and what not due to comfort. However if the weather is real nice I'll still take the Z on road trips. What's the fun of going on a road trip if you stuck inside a Camry.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
ANUSTART
Captain
ANUSTART's Avatar
12
Rep
956
Posts

 
Drives: Z4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
What's the fun of going on a road trip if you stuck inside a Camry.
^ Exactly that.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
jrainlay
Private First Class
jrainlay's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
154
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Why the h*** did you buy the Prius in the first place, if not to use on your high mile trips??? If you prefer a Camray for these trips, why didn't you buy one of those instead of the Prius???
__________________
Mods: MStache2, stubby, CF plate frame, CF spoiler, CF grills, aero skirts, reflector/lite deletes, CSLs, H&R coilovers & 12mm spacers, Rogue RSMs, RPI exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
bax008
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edgewater, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
I just hit 100k miles this week and it's an 03. Car used to be a weekend car. Had a daily Camry that got totaled. After the Camry got totaled, just chose to drive the Z4 as a daily.



Thanks for the reply, good to know 100,000 miles is obtainable.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
bax008
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edgewater, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I'm a bit confused. You don't want to put miles on the Z so you got a Prius, but now you don't want to put miles on the Prius so you want to trade the Z for a Camry?

Save the Z for a weekend fun car and put the miles on the Prius. I have the Z as my daily driver but my gf has an Infiniti SUV which we take on long trips and what not due to comfort. However if the weather is real nice I'll still take the Z on road trips. What's the fun of going on a road trip if you stuck inside a Camry.

Part of my concern regarding the Z is, as I put more and more miles on the car it will become less and less valuable. 55,000 miles is a tipping point regarding it's value. We had a Fusion and traded for the Prius.My concern is we will have 100,000 miles on the Prius before I pay it off. while not having another car to use to spread out the miles between the two.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
SgtGigglebox's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
427
Posts

 
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington D.C. Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax008 View Post
is a trip up to New Jersey to visit family once a year, this adds 3,000 miles to our car
What about flying to NJ once a year instead of driving? Once you factor for gas, tolls, food and a potential night in a hotel, you would probably be saving money with 2 roundtrip tickets and a rental car.

Aside from South of the Border, there isn't much to see up & down I95 anyway.

Its certainly a short-ish flight and I really think the cost would be a wash.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
bax008
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edgewater, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Not many of us have cars with 100K miles. A few do (one just hit 95K this week, and one ///M M was at 90K IIRC). Mostly these cars are used on weekends, for fun, for AutoX and track.

At the core of the original post are the concepts of practicality and financial return. Neither of these things really apply with a sports car. It's about emotion, joy, feel, enjoyment.

IMO, there's nothing more souless and joyless than a Camry. Going from the Z to that is going to be painful. The Prius is a good performer in its niche, plus you can put a huge amount of stuff in the hatch, which is great for utility and for trips, and sounds like a perfect fit for the other needs you have. Buying a Camry to keep miles off a Prius seems like a bad idea to me. Drive the heck out of the Prius and use the Z4 for some fun, joy, and excitement. If you really enjoy the quality time with the Z4, and have fun with it, you'd really miss it when it's gone! Z4 + Prius and you have the best of both worlds.

Just my 2 cents.


Emotion, joy and enjoyment cover how I feel driving my Z. My first car was a 1967 Mustang with 98,000 miles on it, when I started the car smoke came out the tail pipe.Cars that had 100,000 miles were ready for the scrap yard and I can't seem to get over the 100,000 mile mark. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
bax008
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edgewater, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglebox View Post
What about flying to NJ once a year instead of driving? Once you factor for gas, tolls, food and a potential night in a hotel, you would probably be saving money with 2 roundtrip tickets and a rental car.

Aside from South of the Border, there isn't much to see up & down I95 anyway.

Its certainly a short-ish flight and I really think the cost would be a wash.

I looked at that, we drove to South Jersey a few weeks ago in our new Prius, gas was $80 to get there + about $40 in food. 2 roud trip tickets were $300 each and a rental car was $300 for 8 days. To go up and back by car costs about $240, and I allways do it in 1 day. By air, $900. That's why we drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
bax008
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edgewater, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post
Oh Jesus don't do it.

From a practical perspective, one needs to consider the cost/benefits of the trade. With a Camry you are going to get a few years newer car with probably 20k less miles. The Camry will be cheaper to maintain, and should have better gas milage. That said, you both love the Z, and it doesn't sound as if you are going to be having any more kids, so needing something more practical isn't as important. Moreover, I would questions if ultimately you didn't end up taking the Prius on the long trips for the gas milage and reliability.

I'm not sure which engine is in your particular z, but I can tell you that with proper maintenance my fiancee's 2002 325xi with 130k is running like it did when she pulled it off the lot. Few on here can remark on what 100k will bring for a Z, but many on here would attest to the longterm reliability of BMW.


I have the 3.0I, It's good to know regarding the 130k. I just did take the Prius to NJ, I'm taking the car in for it's first service with 4567 miles on it and I haven't even made my first payment yet. That's my concern.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
Vanne
Driver
Vanne's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
11
Rep
857
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (0)

Not wanting to put miles on your zed, is like not having sex with your girlfriend because you want to save her for her next boyfriend...

Are you kidding me? Just drive!! : D
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #18
Finnegan
Major General
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
6,507
Posts

 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax008 View Post
I have the 3.0I, It's good to know regarding the 130k. I just did take the Prius to NJ, I'm taking the car in for it's first service with 4567 miles on it and I haven't even made my first payment yet. That's my concern.
The only maintenance items required at 5K miles on the Prius are:

Rotate tires
Check fluid levels (something that should be done every 1K miles or monthly on any car)
Check brake pads (hardly a concern with regenerative braking, but easy to take a peek at)

10K adds an oil change and cabin air filter change--DIY in parts is probably less than 50 bucks. (Heck, I'd do now too at 5K since the engine was breaking in--I'm obsessive that way and believe in break-in oil changes--preferably at 2.5K miles on a car like this.)

You could probably get your local tire store to do the rotation for 50 bucks if you don't have the tools to do it at home. I'm betting the stealership would charge 200-250 for "service" at 5K which is 5 min in labor. 10K 'service" is 50 dollars max in parts and 15 min in labor. Probably 400 dollars at the stealer.

My friend's 2003 3 series BMW just hit 200K miles. Clutch needed replacement at 150K or so; otherwise it's in great shape and running strong. The Z should be fine assuming you care for it correctly. That means oil changes for "normal" use at 7.5K (not 15K), replacing the coolant, brake fluid, and other "lifetime" fluids (differential and transmission) at around 50K.Do those things again at 100K, and the car will last a good long time. Fluid changes are the best thing you can do to keep the car in good condition for an easy 200K+ life. If you can't DIY, find a good BMW indie shop that can change out these so-called "lifetime" fluids and you'll have a car that's fun, joyful, and emotive for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #19
CarCar
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: 2004 Z4 2.5i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: east Texas USA

iTrader: (0)

2004 2.5i. 170,000 miles. Daily driven 100 miles 5 days a week round trip commute. I have yet to experience a reliability issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #20
brock5ga
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

 
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Monroe, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax008 View Post
Emotion, joy and enjoyment cover how I feel driving my Z. My first car was a 1967 Mustang with 98,000 miles on it, when I started the car smoke came out the tail pipe.Cars that had 100,000 miles were ready for the scrap yard and I can't seem to get over the 100,000 mile mark. Thanks for the reply.
Vehicles reliability has really changed over the years. I work on vehicles with well over 200K all the time. The difference is, at that mileage, you can really see how the vehicle has been treated. Some are still immaculate and with no major mechanical issues while others you simply fix the immediate problem so it can continue till its next break down. If the car is properly maintained, which it sounds like you do, 100k is no issue. I purchased my 2003 3.0i last year with 89k. Just turned 100k last week as this is my daily driver since my Silverado gets 16mpg. It had 5 previous owners, and was probably less maintained than yours sounds like it is. Issues I have taken care of, coolant reservoir cracked at 91k, changed manual trans and diff fluid, even though BMW says lifetime (highly recommended for auto trans also), just fixed oil leak at oil filter housing to block, 100k service (plugs, CCV system, pre-cat O2 sensors), I have valve cover gasket and VANOS seal kit to install as preventative maintenance, not for problem. Thermostat housing is stained from coolant, getting ready to order thermostat and water pump. Noticed small tear in intake boot while changing CCV valve and hoses, ordering today.

The point is that your Z will probably drop less in value between 55k and 100k than whatever you replace it with will in the first year. None of these repairs are major, and are expected with mileage. If you plan for them, spread them out over time, they are pretty much painless and a lot less than the payments on a new vehicle. Ultimately the choice is yours. Purchase a new vehicle and enjoy the peace of mind of the warranty or keep what you have obviously grown to love and with a little TLC, continue to drive it for another 55k plus.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
bax008
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edgewater, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock5ga View Post
Vehicles reliability has really changed over the years. I work on vehicles with well over 200K all the time. The difference is, at that mileage, you can really see how the vehicle has been treated. Some are still immaculate and with no major mechanical issues while others you simply fix the immediate problem so it can continue till its next break down. If the car is properly maintained, which it sounds like you do, 100k is no issue. I purchased my 2003 3.0i last year with 89k. Just turned 100k last week as this is my daily driver since my Silverado gets 16mpg. It had 5 previous owners, and was probably less maintained than yours sounds like it is. Issues I have taken care of, coolant reservoir cracked at 91k, changed manual trans and diff fluid, even though BMW says lifetime (highly recommended for auto trans also), just fixed oil leak at oil filter housing to block, 100k service (plugs, CCV system, pre-cat O2 sensors), I have valve cover gasket and VANOS seal kit to install as preventative maintenance, not for problem. Thermostat housing is stained from coolant, getting ready to order thermostat and water pump. Noticed small tear in intake boot while changing CCV valve and hoses, ordering today.

The point is that your Z will probably drop less in value between 55k and 100k than whatever you replace it with will in the first year. None of these repairs are major, and are expected with mileage. If you plan for them, spread them out over time, they are pretty much painless and a lot less than the payments on a new vehicle. Ultimately the choice is yours. Purchase a new vehicle and enjoy the peace of mind of the warranty or keep what you have obviously grown to love and with a little TLC, continue to drive it for another 55k plus.
I do take very good care of the Z and any other car I have had, About a month ago I had new ceramic brakes and new rotors all around, along with 2 new belts. I was told from BMW that the auto trans oil did not need to be replaced, lifetime they said. I will check with a new shop I found that did the brakes about the trans oil. I change the oil avery 8,000 miles or so. You bring up some valid points and it's good to know about the miles, Thanks
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST