ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
Huz-Z
Colonel

Drives: BMW Z4 3.0si Montego Blue

A member here (I can't remember who it was) used to have a signature that said that unless the storm has a name, roadsters ought to drive top down. It was a bit more eloquent than that, but its the basic idea.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Power M Seats w Memory. M Sport Wheel. Premium and Sport Package, Xenon.
Huz-Z is offline   Canada
      03-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #24
ssummers
Private First Class

Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

If it's above 40F my wife has the top down, may have the windows up, seat heaters on, and heat on high, but the top will be down.
      03-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #25
Jimswift
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Ah, people in Vancouver can be terrible sometimes. When I take the car up to the BC interior its amazing how people's reaction to the car changes. Suddenly everyone wants to ask questions and have nothing but positive things to say.

I've been enjoying the top down for the last few days day and night. Unless it's raining, the top is down. Always.

2006 Z4MR / RPI / Gruppe M / Euro / DKF / KW V3 / Morr vs8.2
Jimswift is offline   Canada
      03-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Anything over 42 F and I have the top down.
jdoublehcubed is offline   United_States
      03-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #27
tommiegun57
Enlisted Member

Drives: Stratus Gray z4 i 07

:Reply: Your tops up, Thanks
      03-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #28
yakswak
Private

Drives: Z4MC, X1 x28i

When I had the S2000 it was top down all the time unless it was pouring. As others have said night time cruising with top down is awesome!!
      03-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #29
ricanbandit
Captain

Drives: 2008 M Roadster

50 (10c) and above my top is down. Will wear a sweatshirt or hoodie and a skull cap, but yeah. That's why I have a roadster

03-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #30
3point0
Lieutenant

Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [2.00]
Absolutely, a buddy at work has an S2000 and he has at shirt that has a cartoon on it with all kinds of reasons why the top should always be down.

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
3point0 is offline   Canada
      03-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #31
elerner61
Captain

Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I've had the top down with temperatures as nippy as 35F. Some people are just haters - don't worry about them. If they want to spend their lives seeing negativity in things and being unhappy, its their loss.
+1. People who don't enjoy going roofless just don't understand it. I can't ever see not having a convertible in my life.
      03-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #32
partlowr
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

I almost never drive with the top up, my Z4 is not my daily driver, unless weather is nice then I drive itnall the time. On a couple of occasions I have got caught out in the rain I will obviously put the top up and there were a handful of other occasions where it was nearly 100 degrees and 90% humidity and top down driving is absolutely miserable but for the most part the top is down all the time, even gets parked in the garage with the top down. The main reason the top goes up is when I wash it. I find top down nighttime summer drivingto be some of the best topdown conditions.

I live outside Chicago so I only get about six months to use my car, this weekend it is supposed to be in the upper 50's, car is coming out of the garage for the first time and the top will be down.

Haters gonna hate
partlowr is offline   United_States
      03-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #33
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglebox View Post
Top down at night is some of the most fun driving out there. However, I generally only do it in the summer time / early fall when the temps are high enough (above 60 in the day, 70 at night).
Agreed!! Nothing like driving with the top down at midnight when it's T-shirt weather.
      03-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #34
Aries326
Major

Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point0 View Post
I just went to fill up the zed. Since I only got it out of storage on Saturday this is the first fill after burning off all that fuel stabilizer. Anyway I'm at the gas station pumping in the 94 octane stuff, conveniently priced at a paltry $1.53 a litre (roughly $5.75 a gal) when I feel a pair of eyes drilling into the back of my head, you know that feeling of being watched.
I turn around and see the chick in the next lane staring at me. She's filling her silverado. "Really?" she says, followed by "Not really droptop weather is it now?" Admittedly it was almost 9pm and barely 9 Celsius (48F) outside, but it's a clear night and I parked my car in my garage with the roof down when I got home from work, so I didn't put it up to go around the block and fill up. Before I even had the chance to reply she finished off with "Jerk" and left.

Quite why I'm the jerk for driving my car with the roof down at night I don't know (or care), but it made me think. Do any of you drive topless at night regardless of temp if it isn't raining? Would you drop the top if it was up? I know I have in the summer when it's still 25 c (77F).

Probably jealous of you. She saw your car and she's thinking, "Oh here's another one of those rich guys who thinks he's cool and has it all, showing off his Z4 driving around with the top down in cold weather in the middle of the night. What a jerk."

I drive my top down when it's in the 40s. I put on my skull cap and blast the heat. I'll drive it late at night and enjoy watching the moon and stars. I love it. If it's day time, I'll wear my sunglasses. I'm sure other people have looked at me and thought the same thing. I really don't care. I worked hard to get where I am at. I'm not showing off my car when I drive it around. I'm enjoying it. Can't people enjoy what they have these days without negative comments?
      03-28-2013, 03:26 AM   #35
Nate4641
Captain

Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
EAS is running a group buy on the smartTOP modules, looks like a nice convenience upgrade for those of us with roadsters.
2007 ///M Roadster Interlagos Blue & Dark Beige top over Light Sepang extended leather - 19in Morr VS8.2--RPI exhaust--AFE Intake--DKF Hangers--Vibra Technics Engine Mounts--Cosmos Firewall Braces--BMW Strut Brace--Tekarbon CF Engine Cover--Aero Side Skirts--F10 M5 Knob--LeatherZ Mk4 Armrest--SmartTOP Roof Controller--Zeckhausen Racing CDV--DansDecals Reflector Decals--Clutch Stop--LED Trunk Light--Stubby Antenna
Nate4641 is offline   United_States
      03-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #36
ricanbandit
Captain

Drives: 2008 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
+1. People who don't enjoy going roofless just don't understand it. I can't ever see not having a convertible in my life.
+1 I will never not have a convertible. I may have another car for winter, but a convertible is a must. Once you go drop, you never stop.

03-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #37
NewZee
Private

Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si

Definately Top down in the Zee (especially with heated seats), in my old TR6 I used to put the top down in the spring and not put it up again till late fall, had a tonaeu cover covering half the cockpit, with the heat on full was quite cozy

NewZee
Buffalo, NY Area
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster
Black Sapphire Metalic, premium & sport pkg.
      03-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #38
aerobod
Car Geek

Drives: Caterham R400, E82 135i

Any time of the year, day or night I will have the top down if it is not raining or snowing and above 0C. The heater is powerful enough to go as low as -5C if there isn't any wind and the side windows are up.

When people say I'm crazy for driving the car with the roof down around or below the freezing point, I basically say that due to the heater and heated seats, it is a lot more comfortable than walking outside in that sort of temperature as long as speeds are below 80km/h.
aerobod is offline   Canada
      03-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #39
3point0
Lieutenant

Garage List
2005 BMW Z4  [2.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Any time of the year, day or night I will have the top down if it is not raining or snowing and above 0C. The heater is powerful enough to go as low as -5C if there isn't any wind and the side windows are up.

When people say I'm crazy for driving the car with the roof down around or below the freezing point, I basically say that due to the heater and heated seats, it is a lot more comfortable than walking outside in that sort of temperature as long as speeds are below 80km/h.
I only wish we had heated steering wheels then I reckon we could go even lower. Drove to work in 4.5C this morning. It was glorious.

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
      03-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #40
SD Z4MR
Blue Bimmers Rule!

Drives: '06 Z4 M Rdstr | '11 335is E92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakswak View Post
When I had the S2000 it was top down all the time unless it was pouring. As others have said night time cruising with top down is awesome!!
13 years with my S2000 before I replaced it with my M Roadster last July and the top has generally been down on both unless it was raining. As I've gotten older the lowest temperature that I'll drive with the top down has increased though! Right now I wuss out somewhere between 55* and 60*. Fortunately that doesn't happen much her in San Diego except in the winter!

Although in February I went on a club drive that took us to the peak of Mt. Cyamaca (6000 ft. +) where I saw 38* with the top down!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | Premium | Convenience | Heated Seats | Navigation | Harmon Kardon | iPod/USB | European Delivery 5/12/11

SD Z4MR is offline   United_States
      03-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #41
Nate4641
Captain

Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point0 View Post
I only wish we had heated steering wheels then I reckon we could go even lower. Drove to work in 4.5C this morning. It was glorious.
This. I would love to see a retrofit for a heated wheel.
2007 ///M Roadster Interlagos Blue & Dark Beige top over Light Sepang extended leather - 19in Morr VS8.2--RPI exhaust--AFE Intake--DKF Hangers--Vibra Technics Engine Mounts--Cosmos Firewall Braces--BMW Strut Brace--Tekarbon CF Engine Cover--Aero Side Skirts--F10 M5 Knob--LeatherZ Mk4 Armrest--SmartTOP Roof Controller--Zeckhausen Racing CDV--DansDecals Reflector Decals--Clutch Stop--LED Trunk Light--Stubby Antenna
Nate4641 is offline   United_States
      03-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #42
3point0
Lieutenant

Garage List
2005 BMW Z4  [2.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
This. I would love to see a retrofit for a heated wheel.
i'm working on it

03-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #43
GammaZeta
Captain

Drives: 1

Wait a second.......our tops go up?
      03-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #44
elerner61
Captain

Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee View Post
Definately Top down in the Zee (especially with heated seats), in my old TR6 I used to put the top down in the spring and not put it up again till late fall, had a tonaeu cover covering half the cockpit, with the heat on full was quite cozy
I was top down two weeks ago when it was 32 degrees (and not sunny) and that's my new limit. I was cold! (but smiling). For me, it's the cold legs that get to me. similar to a tonneau cover keeping the warm air "in" I've been thinking of taking a section of wool blanket (plain fleece won't work, it passes too much air) and either with snaps or velcro attaching it to the lower, leading edge of the dash and then tucking the top over the lap section of the seat belt. This would create sort of an air seal up to my waist and the heat would warm my legs. Nutty idea?