ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
AS SSK Install Tips

the AS SSK install was actually pretty easy once you get the interference (exhaust, heat shields etc..) out of the way.

The DIY is pretty good. The OP of the DIY talks about the 'Spawn of Satan' coupler and how hard it was to get out since you are working blind.

Here are some pictures of the coupler and how to remove it in less than 10 minutes.

Here is the stock OEM coupler in the locked position. Notice how the locking ring rides in a channel to keep the pin from falling out.

You cannot just use your fingers so move the locking clip out of its channel. To remove/move the locking clip out of the way, just insert a small screwdriver on one of the flat sides of the coupler and pry it back, out of its channel, far enough to be able to push the pin out. The smaller channel above the clip is a 'holding or keeper' channel to keep the clip from sliding back into position. The clip is high strength spring steel and does NOT like to move.

Now just use something suitable to push the pin out of the hole.
I used a phillips bit from one of my bit sets. This will start the pin out. Then I use a small section of house hold wiring (12ga), bent to push it the rest of the way out and it will fall on your face..

Now the new coupler has the same type of clip. Don't over think this and push the clip onto the smaller 'keeper' channel. It is very hard to pull off this channel. The clip should already be positioned from AS in between the locking channel and the keeper channel so the pin hole is exposed just enough to get the pin in. Reposition the clip as necessary. See pics:

Now that the pin is in, pull the clip over into the locking channel.

Done....

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Nice pics!

Did you need any other parts? I'm getting an order ready for Tischer or ECS and was going to get new front carrier clips and a rear bushing and also the bolts for the rear reinforcement plate and exhaust gaskets and bolts. Is all that overkill? I also need to order some RE tranny mounts while I'm in there.

Thanks
Appreciate 0