ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

clutch stop - wow!

I know I'm preaching to the choir for many of you, but if you are still putting off doing this minor, inexpensive, simple modification... just do it!

After letting the idea slip for several months, I finally took a moment to replace my clutch stop with the little beauty below.

I cannot believe how such a subtle adjustment to the ergonomics of the cockpit can so dramatically improve the driving experience!

Shifts are slick as goose poop and virtually instantaneous (no rev drops, etc.).

edit - It occurs to me that this solves the core issue that was preventing me from seriously considering an SSK. I easily shift with the stock throw but I was concerned that an SSK benefit would be hampered by the free clutch action and not provide the improvement I was paying for. Now there is no free play... and maybe it's an excuse to reconsider the SSK. In a while though... this is fun all by itself.

I bought mine here (ebay link below) and actually swapped a couple of emails with the vendor. This is a well crafted product, a breeze to screw in, and IMHO an essential mod.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230820559306...84.m1497.l2649

Last edited by EenyBear; 11-01-2012 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

yup... works great.
One thing to watch for is setting the stopper trip point to high for the clutch arm switch.
In hot weather things seem to change a bit & it can be difficult to engage the switch to enable the starter motor.

...there are other fixes for relocating the magnetic switch to allow for more stopper adjustment.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Thanks for posting. I didn't even know the Z had an adjustable stop available. It's on my ebay watchlist now for my next round of goodies

Been driving manuals for over 30 years with a couple million miles under my belt. I'm already smooth as butter but if this helps make me smooth as goose poop I'm all over it.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
yup... works great.
One thing to watch for is setting the stopper trip point to high for the clutch arm switch.
In hot weather things seem to change a bit & it can be difficult to engage the switch to enable the starter motor.

...there are other fixes for relocating the magnetic switch to allow for more stopper adjustment.
First time that happened to me I freaked out

I was in GRID for autox and I couldn't start the car...I had to unscrew it in order to start it back up.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Nice. Just ordered one.

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
yup... works great.

Agreed. I just screwed it in then backed it out a quarter/half turn at a time and kept trying to start the car. As soon as I could start it, I screwed it back in a turn or so to be safe and locked down the nut.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
First time that happened to me I freaked out

I was in GRID for autox and I couldn't start the car...I had to unscrew it in order to start it back up.
yeah, and if you think about it, you're potentially not fully engaging the clutch each time you shift when its like that
      11-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Yep that clutch stop (made by pickyeater334) has been discussed a few times, definitely recommended mod.

Previous thread:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503837

To adjust it you don't need to start the car. Simply put your key in the On position, then depress the clutch. You'll hear a CLICK when the relay engages, that's the highest clutch point that the car will start, adjust your clutch stop to be just past that point and you're golden.

Also as mentioned previously, make sure that after this mod you always depress the clutch all the way to the floor before shifting so you don't beat up your synchros.
      11-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
yeah, and if you think about it, you're potentially not fully engaging the clutch each time you shift when its like that
Not at all actually.

Engagement of the clutch happens way before the magnetic point to start the engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Also as mentioned previously, make sure that after this mod you always depress the clutch all the way to the floor before shifting so you don't beat up your synchros.
I was thinking how clutch stop effect the engagement during shifting. Just order one. Not a big deal if I don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I installed the BMS Short Throw Clutch Stop on my wife's 335is Coupe shortly after it was redelivered and we both liked the difference. I have been thinking about this for my Z4MR but wasn't sure where to get it. I just ordered one!

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Not at all actually.

Engagement of the clutch happens way before the magnetic point to start the engine.
Exactly, the relay I talk about in my last post is in a conservative place. If you're past the relay you're ok as per BMWs conservative standards (same conservative standards that gave us a CDV, plenty of people run without a CDV without issue).

The only concern is that you shift past that point too, so that's why if you do the clutch stop you have to make sure you put the pedal to the floor before shifting. I had to consciously teach myself to do this.
      11-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Alexander
United_States
Rep

A warning to anyone with the CDV delete... My tranny grenaded in my 335i a month after doing the delete. ~15,000 miles on it.

It could be 110% coincidence, but that scared me off.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
A warning to anyone with the CDV delete... My tranny grenaded in my 335i a month after doing the delete. ~15,000 miles on it.

All that means is that you're a manual shifting amateur ...I kid, I kid
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe
Quote:
I was thinking how clutch stop effect the engagement during shifting. Just order one. Not a big deal if I don't like it.
You will love it.

Best.Cheap.Mod
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Exactly, the relay I talk about in my last post is in a conservative place. If you're past the relay you're ok as per BMWs conservative standards (same conservative standards that gave us a CDV, plenty of people run without a CDV without issue).

The only concern is that you shift past that point too, so that's why if you do the clutch stop you have to make sure you put the pedal to the floor before shifting. I had to consciously teach myself to do this.
I can put the clutch in and roll the car before it hits the "starting" point where I can start the car.

Needless to say, I have mine at the perfect amount...It's been through 2 years of WOT shifts at auto-x and a track day...There is nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #17
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

thanks for the link! order one! rough estimate how far the thread bolt? halfway?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Thanks, just ordered and will give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #19
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ichal2dZ4M View Post
thanks for the link! order one! rough estimate how far the thread bolt? halfway?
Before taking off the old one, put the key in and turn it one click before starting the car. Get down there and push the clutch in with your hands and listen for the CLICK and note how much higher it is than the stock clutch stop.

Replace and adjust, you can keep the key in the ignition and keep testing to either get it just barely past the click (my preference) or farther in (some prefer having more play).
      11-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #20
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

i have just a little bit more play in my clutchstop, like beta said, its odd having to teach yourself to put the clutch in all the way before shifting. When you have all that play, you dont have to be fully depressed to be fully in, the clutch stop completely curbs this, meaning you need to be conscious about being fully depressed.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #21
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post

All the clutch delay valve does is delay the engagement of the clutch and makes it slip when you let out the pedal by restricting the flow of hydraulic fluid between the clutch master cylinder and the clutch slave cylinder. I think it was pure unluky for you.

Great for teaching a beginner to drive a manual transmission but quite irritating for a seasoned vet.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #22
Alexander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
All that means is that you're a manual shifting amateur ...I kid, I kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmjarrett View Post
All the clutch delay valve does is delay the engagement of the clutch and makes it slip when you let out the pedal by restricting the flow of hydraulic fluid between the clutch master cylinder and the clutch slave cylinder. I think it was pure unluky for you.

Great for teaching a beginner to drive a manual transmission but quite irritating for a seasoned vet.
Haha I have never owned an automatic.

Anyways yeah it was pure coincidence, but damn!

What happened is it would never shift into 1st ever unless you put it in 2nd first, but then 2nd gear started popping out of gear.

BMW was super nice about it and gave me a brand new 335i for a loaner.

Deleting my CDV tomorrow.
Appreciate 0