ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Imran@Evolve
 
Imran@Evolve's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5, E92 M3, E46 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bedfordshire UK

Posts: 1,966
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Imran@Evolve
Evolve Carbon Airbox for Z4M

Hi guys

Just looking for some feedback really.

We have had a number of requests recently to make our CSL style carbon air box for the Z4M and develop the necessary Alpha N map to go with it.

Here are some pictures of the E46 Evolve Carbon Airbox.































We would have to remake the cone part to suit the Z4M, develop the mapping and see if any hardware is required.

At the moment we the RRP on the E46 M3 version is $4200 including the tune and everything required to fit. I would expect the Z4M version to be around that price.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Imran@Evolve; 08-19-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Imran@Evolve is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
johanness
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 Z4MC
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle, Vancouver

Posts: 1,741
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Looks great, but not for that price.
johanness is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Imran@Evolve
 
Imran@Evolve's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5, E92 M3, E46 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bedfordshire UK

Posts: 1,966
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Imran@Evolve
I appreciate that the price won't be for everyone but we have have sold over 50 of these for the E46 M3 in the first year of production. They are made in the UK by a composite company that makes lots of parts for F1 teams and are 100% pre-preg carbon.
Imran@Evolve is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (2)

I've always wanted the CSL growl.

I wouldn't be able to budget this in for another 6 months, but count me as a definite YES as long as there are no permanent modifications to the car. Don't plan on selling the car ever, but being able to bring it back to stock in case I have to is a consideration.
__________________

Last edited by beta; 12-23-2012 at 03:15 AM.
beta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
nobrakese28
Private First Class
 
Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

I use to work in Aerospace composites, I can say that piece is a beauty. Extremely tricky geometry. 4200 is pretty expensive, but that would be a wicked option. What are the gains (hp,tq)?
nobrakese28 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
gferil
Captain
 
gferil's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Z4MC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 731
iTrader: (5)

That looks beautiful. I could be in depending on gains and what beta said regarding no permanent modifications. If we already have the Evolve tune on our cars, is there a bit more of a price break?
gferil is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
inTgr8r
Major General
 
inTgr8r's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 7,761
iTrader: (7)

Wow sexy bit O kit there !
__________________
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•Eisenmann Sport-Ceramic Black•Fabspeed Headers•VRS Hyper-Narrow rear wing•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•KW Clubsport•H&R ARBs c/w Turner Adj Links•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
inTgr8r is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakese28 View Post
I use to work in Aerospace composites, I can say that piece is a beauty. Extremely tricky geometry. 4200 is pretty expensive, but that would be a wicked option. What are the gains (hp,tq)?
I imagine it's pretty close to CSL numbers, which is probably another 15hp over headers. There's a dyno video here, he got 306 HP.

From what I hear you do this mostly for the glorious induction noise. $ per HP you're much much better off doing forced induction. This is only for the purists that want to keep it NA.

Imran: Make sure you post on the Z4-forum which is the UK version. I'm really hoping you guys go through with this
__________________
beta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (2)

Looks like as long as you don't cut the wires this is reversible. See this DIY.
__________________
beta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
flyzipper
Private
 
flyzipper's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ontario

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It's a work of art, but the best I can say regarding interest at this point is 'maybe'.
flyzipper is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Z4-VILLA
Banned
 
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Classified

Posts: 2,460
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Z4-VILLA
3k with tune and you would sell plenty in the Z4 M circle, personally Im more for FI
Z4-VILLA is offline   Afghanistan
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
seank
enthusiast
 
seank's Avatar
 
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sacramento, ca

Posts: 1,397
iTrader: (3)

Including the tune? Is that with an Alpha n or a tune to the ecu using the stock system.
seank is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #13
asirvr4
Private First Class
 
Drives: '06 M Coupe Brushed Steel Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Muscat, Oman

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-VILLA View Post
3k with tune and you would sell plenty in the Z4 M circle...
i agree..

looks interesting though.. hope it includes everything u need to get it running perfectly...
asirvr4 is offline   Oman
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #14
E82tt6
Colonel
 
E82tt6's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 2,629
iTrader: (0)

Definitely a beautiful piece. I think you'd like get quite a few bites if it were in the 3-3.5k with tune range, but 4200 (especially if that doesn't include tuning) for 15-20hp and some beautiful noise is, in my opinion, a bit hard to swallow when a SC setup isn't that much more, and offers more than 10x the power gain.

I think there'd probably be some market for folks that really wanted to stay NA, and really wanted the wonderful induction noise. Personally, I'd find nearly 5 grand with a tune rather difficult to swallow, though hobbyists of greater means that really didn't want to go the FI route might not feel the same way.
__________________
'08 Black Saphire/Black Z4 M Coupe
RIP Gretta: Blue Water/Lemon 135i. Died to save me.
-ChuckV
E82tt6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #15
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,625
iTrader: (0)

imran.... gorgeous piece!!! wow!! literally blew my mind seeing that!!
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #16
GammaZeta
Captain
 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ma

Posts: 844
iTrader: (1)

Personally, I think you would sell a lot more if you used plastic to reduce the price instead of carbon fiber. It looks amazing but that's all the carbon fiber is there for...looks.
GammaZeta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #17
Imran@Evolve
 
Imran@Evolve's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5, E92 M3, E46 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bedfordshire UK

Posts: 1,966
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Imran@Evolve
Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
I've always wanted the CSL growl.

I wouldn't be able to budget this in for another 6 months, but count me as a definite YES as long as there are no permanent modifications to the car. Don't plan on selling the car ever, but being able to bring it back to stock in case I have to is a consideration.
There would be no permanent modifications. Would be 100% reversible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakese28 View Post
I use to work in Aerospace composites, I can say that piece is a beauty. Extremely tricky geometry. 4200 is pretty expensive, but that would be a wicked option. What are the gains (hp,tq)?
Thanks for the compliment. We went out to make the best we could! On a stock car with the tune and the airbox 20-25 WHP.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
That looks beautiful. I could be in depending on gains and what beta said regarding no permanent modifications. If we already have the Evolve tune on our cars, is there a bit more of a price break?
Yes we can work something out for existing Evolve tune customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Wow sexy bit O kit there !
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
Including the tune? Is that with an Alpha n or a tune to the ecu using the stock system.
Yes price is including the Alpha N tune carried out on the stock ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asirvr4 View Post
i agree..

looks interesting though.. hope it includes everything u need to get it running perfectly...
Sure does. We have successfully upgraded over 30 E46 M3's in the USA with this package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Definitely a beautiful piece. I think you'd like get quite a few bites if it were in the 3-3.5k with tune range, but 4200 (especially if that doesn't include tuning) for 15-20hp and some beautiful noise is, in my opinion, a bit hard to swallow when a SC setup isn't that much more, and offers more than 10x the power gain.

I think there'd probably be some market for folks that really wanted to stay NA, and really wanted the wonderful induction noise. Personally, I'd find nearly 5 grand with a tune rather difficult to swallow, though hobbyists of greater means that really didn't want to go the FI route might not feel the same way.
It includes the tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
imran.... gorgeous piece!!! wow!! literally blew my mind seeing that!!
Thanks Byron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Personally, I think you would sell a lot more if you used plastic to reduce the price instead of carbon fiber. It looks amazing but that's all the carbon fiber is there for...looks.
Plastic would not have the harmonics that CF does so would defeat the object of having this product.
Imran@Evolve is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
crfine88
Colonel
 
crfine88's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cave Creek AZ.

Posts: 2,204
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub
imran.... gorgeous piece!!! wow!! literally blew my mind seeing that!!
Can you imagine how good our ESS manifold would look and sound in CF
__________________
crfine88 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #19
Mirko
Lieutenant
 
Mirko's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 569
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
Can you imagine how good our ESS manifold would look and sound in CF
ESS does make them out of CF for their E92 M3 superchargers. I wonder if they do for ours? Probably not though

Beautiful piece Imran!!
I've watched all the progress on the other forum and would love to add this to my car but like others pointed out I'd be more likely to go with a blower for that price. I think the most I would be able to stomach is $3K with tune.
Mirko is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #20
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
 
Blind32's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4MC
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dallas TX

Posts: 1,287
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Blind32 Send a message via Yahoo to Blind32
Looks beautiful! Do you have any dyno graphs of before and after? I'm not interested in Peak WHP gains. I want to see what happens in the middle.
Blind32 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #21
Imran@Evolve
 
Imran@Evolve's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5, E92 M3, E46 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bedfordshire UK

Posts: 1,966
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Imran@Evolve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Looks beautiful! Do you have any dyno graphs of before and after? I'm not interested in Peak WHP gains. I want to see what happens in the middle.
Here is a flywheel calculated graph (this is what UK customers are used to). The Delta is what we are concerned with so gives you an idea. This is at the higher end of the scale.

Imran@Evolve is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #22
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,625
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
Can you imagine how good our ESS manifold would look and sound in CF
yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!! need!!

FYI anyone thats interested ive met these guys @ evolve in person and trust me i stand by my name on this site and give 110% gaurantee's that these guys are legit..... i wont lie, their upcoming s/c kit for the m3 has been making me consider dropping my z4m for a last of the line m3 and drop a evolve blower in their!!

in the cold day of light, i cant loose my little //M tho!!
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST