ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Mirko
Captain
 
Mirko's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4M, E90 328i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 609
iTrader: (2)

Topsider Oil Extractor

Got it in the mail a few days ago and decided to change my oil today since it was due. I searched the entire forum and didn't see any threads on it.

Fairly easy to use it, but I found I had to pump every 5-10min to keep the oil going. Think it took me 35-40min to fully drain it out.

Also believe I got all the oil out, logic behind that is I put back in 5.5litres of oil and the dip stick was showing between half and full. From what I've read on here our engine takes 5.5-6.0litres.

Why I like it
1. No mess
2. Easy to do
3. Don't have to lift the car or get under it at all



I have read on other forums that people dislike it for not getting all the oil out and others loving it for the reason's I posted above.
Mirko is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

cost?
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Finnegan
Major General
 
Finnegan's Avatar
 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track

Posts: 6,370
iTrader: (17)

^WHS

I'm interested in what happens after 6 months. Other extractors (Mitivac) have failed due to some interaction between synthetic oil and the seals.
Finnegan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
rsutoratosu
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Z4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 246
iTrader: (0)

I use similar on my non z car, love these things.. i did put a magnetic plug in my drain so once a while I do look forward to cleaning that out
__________________
-Roranji
rsutoratosu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
Mirko
Captain
 
Mirko's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4M, E90 328i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 609
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
cost?
Picked it up from Northern Tools for $50 plus shipping ($89 CAD total). They also ship to Canada. My package came from Burlington, so no duty but there is tax.

Will see how it holds up over the year as I use it and report back.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._390306_390306

I saw that Bimmian has one as well but they want $114 plus tax and shipping for it.
Mirko is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
DataStream18
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2004 ESS TS2 Z4R
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clarksville, Tn

Posts: 511
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I guess i dont see the point of this? Is it just to save a mess? For example on post you're on authorized to change your oil in your driveway so I'm assuming you would use this then?
DataStream18 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Pheonix
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 626
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataStream18 View Post
I guess i dont see the point of this? Is it just to save a mess? For example on post you're on authorized to change your oil in your driveway so I'm assuming you would use this then?
Me neither. Two pieces of 2x6, jack and jackstands (for safety) i will be done in 15 minutes.
Pheonix is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
XMetal
Major
 
XMetal's Avatar
 
Drives: '04 X5, '08 Z4MC
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,198
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MCoupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Me neither. Two pieces of 2x6, jack and jackstands (for safety) i will be done in 15 minutes.
Unless the car is placed on 4 jack stands (or you lowered the car back down to level ground during draining if only jacking up from the front), you may not be able to get as much oil drained if the car sits at an angle with just the front on jack stands. In this case, the extractor may get more oil out than the 2 jack stand method. I like the draining method much better as I feel that it gets more of the "crud" out from the bottom of the pan, but with the Z being so low, the extraction method is awfully tempting.
XMetal is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Pheonix
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 626
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Unless the car is placed on 4 jack stands (or you lowered the car back down to level ground during draining if only jacking up from the front), you may not be able to get as much oil drained if the car sits at an angle with just the front on jack stands. In this case, the extractor may get more oil out than the 2 jack stand method. I like the draining method much better as I feel that it gets more of the "crud" out from the bottom of the pan, but with the Z being so low, the extraction method is awfully tempting.
Of course there are 4 jackstands to keep the car leveled. The 2x6 are for the front (to get the jack under the jackpoint)
As someone already mentioned, it is a good alternative if one has no access to jack, jackstand, etc.. My point was that I could do a much better and quick oil change by draining it.
Pheonix is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
mhughett
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok

Posts: 615
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Of course there are 4 jackstands to keep the car leveled. The 2x6 are for the front (to get the jack under the jackpoint)
As someone already mentioned, it is a good alternative if one has no access to jack, jackstand, etc.. My point was that I could do a much better and quick oil change by draining it.
I have the mitvac 7300 that works off of an air compressor (no pumping). With this unit, I can drain the full 5.5 liters of my M in about 2-3 minutes. It takes about 3 minutes to change the filter, and another 3-5 minutes to fill it back up. I can do all of this without a jack, ramps and can do it wearing whatever clothes I want as there is no dripping oil in the process. It cost about $85 shipped from Amazon and I've had it about 2 years. No issues with it so far. Best tool I have in my garage and it is perfect for BMW's that have dipsticks and oil filters on the top of the engine.
__________________
2013 Audi TT RS (Tech Pkg, Sport Exhaust, Heated Seats, Sirius)

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
mhughett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
Pheonix
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 626
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I have the mitvac 7300 that works off of an air compressor (no pumping). With this unit, I can drain the full 5.5 liters of my M in about 2-3 minutes. It takes about 3 minutes to change the filter, and another 3-5 minutes to fill it back up. I can do all of this without a jack, ramps and can do it wearing whatever clothes I want as there is no dripping oil in the process. It cost about $85 shipped from Amazon and I've had it about 2 years. No issues with it so far. Best tool I have in my garage and it is perfect for BMW's that have dipsticks and oil filters on the top of the engine.
Wow, that is really fast! What size compressor, psi and hose are you using? On of my buddy has a mitvac (dont know the model number) and i've seen more than 15 minutes to drain 5-6qt. He is a mechanic and has the compressor set at 115psi. Anyhow, glad it works out great for you. I will just stick to the old fashion way.
Pheonix is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
mhughett
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok

Posts: 615
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Wow, that is really fast! What size compressor, psi and hose are you using? On of my buddy has a mitvac (dont know the model number) and i've seen more than 15 minutes to drain 5-6qt. He is a mechanic and has the compressor set at 115psi. Anyhow, glad it works out great for you. I will just stick to the old fashion way.
The keys are using the biggest diameter hose that will fit in the dipstick tube and doing it when the oil is reasonably warm and flows better. It doesn't use that much air and runs at 80-90psi. In fact, once my tank is fully charged, it doesn't even kick on during the oil change process from the amount of air used to change the oil. One of the best garage tools I've ever bought.
__________________
2013 Audi TT RS (Tech Pkg, Sport Exhaust, Heated Seats, Sirius)

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
mhughett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
dubsesd
Colonel
 
dubsesd's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4M coupe / X5 35d LCI /F150
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 2,567
iTrader: (1)

both are great methods. my buddy has a shop so i just stop by and put it on a hoist. easy and convieniant
dubsesd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Mirko
Captain
 
Mirko's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4M, E90 328i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 609
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
^WHS

I'm interested in what happens after 6 months. Other extractors (Mitivac) have failed due to some interaction between synthetic oil and the seals.
First oil change with it was in October 2011, my dad used it on my mom's car a month ago and I did my second oil change on my Z4 today with it.

No issue with seals. I think it went quicker this time around. It wasn't as cold out as it was in October. It sucked out all 5.5litres. Will report back again in 6 months when I expect to do next oil change. Hopefully it still works then . lol
Mirko is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
 
Caddyshk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oak Ridges, Ontario, Canada

Posts: 1,910
iTrader: (0)

Mityvac = 10 minutes. Measured Oil removed = 5.5 L
__________________
2006 Z4MC - #LL93158
SuperSprint Race Cans, RE X Pipe, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z Modified CDV, Ground Control Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, ZHP Shift Knob, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Caddyshk is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST