ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
prodigal_m
Member
prodigal_m's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Space Gray/Imola M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SE Wisconsin

iTrader: (1)

Has anyone run 335 rotors (blanks) on their MZ4?

I had been looking to replace my factory front rotors and was considering picking them up from www.racingbrake.com but the back breaking cost has kept me from pulling the trigger thus far. I have heard nothing but rave reviews (from the hack) and from a few others that have been running the rotors on their cars (not MZ4's.) I figure if I could get 3 or 4 years out of them it would definitely be worth the price of admission.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two_piece...tio_p/2102.htm

Forum member BTM pointed out to me that it's the same size as the 335i blanks (which should fit.) If they work that's a huge cost savings even over OEM rotors!

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...335d-pair.aspx

Has anybody tried this or am I going to be the first (after a bit more research of course.)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
ga41
Lieutenant
ga41's Avatar
Cyprus
4
Rep
447
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Paphos

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Do you really want to go from a floating rotor setup to 1 piece ones? Sounds like a bit of a downgrade to me.

My tuppence worth...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
prodigal_m
Member
prodigal_m's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Space Gray/Imola M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SE Wisconsin

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post
Do you really want to go from a floating rotor setup to 1 piece ones? Sounds like a bit of a downgrade to me.

My tuppence worth...
I share the same concerns but for $100 bucks a blank I'm thinking it may be worth it. (I figure that I can typically get a max of two years out of factory rotors on the track anyway.)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
v3.2mc's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
827
Posts

 
Drives: with both hands and both feet
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: midwest

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
there is no chance of an e9x 335 rotor fitting...

the hat depth dimension is completely different between the two.

///M ~ 1.000 inch
e9x ~ 1.688 inches

hat depth being the distance from the outer friction surface to the wheel mounting face.

the only way i see that working is to mount a spacer BEHIND the rotor and install a much less aggressive offset front wheel. do not do this. bad things will happen if you do.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
prodigal_m
Member
prodigal_m's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Space Gray/Imola M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SE Wisconsin

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
there is no chance of an e9x 335 rotor fitting...

the hat depth dimension is completely different between the two.

///M ~ 1.000 inch
e9x ~ 1.688 inches

hat depth being the distance from the outer friction surface to the wheel mounting face.

the only way i see that working is to mount a spacer BEHIND the rotor and install a much less aggressive offset front wheel. do not do this. bad things will happen if you do.
This is what I was looking for...Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
esqu1re's Avatar
23
Rep
1,858
Posts

 
Drives: M Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigal_m View Post
I had been looking to replace my factory front rotors and was considering picking them up from www.racingbrake.com but the back breaking cost has kept me from pulling the trigger thus far. I have heard nothing but rave reviews (from the hack) and from a few others that have been running the rotors on their cars (not MZ4's.) I figure if I could get 3 or 4 years out of them it would definitely be worth the price of admission.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two_piece...tio_p/2102.htm

Forum member BTM pointed out to me that it's the same size as the 335i blanks (which should fit.) If they work that's a huge cost savings even over OEM rotors!

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...335d-pair.aspx

Has anybody tried this or am I going to be the first (after a bit more research of course.)
Not sure how it is now, but Racing Brake couldn't fulfill my order a year and a half back.

see email dated 12/2010

Thanks for your inquiry. We used to produce the Z4m front two-piece rotor, but have stopped production since demand was low. We can make more of them, but only if there is enough interest. Do you think that there would be several Z4M owners who might also be interested? We might have a one of our dealers run a group buy, since these rotors can also be used on the M3 E46 Competition model, and our dealer could cross-promote on two forums.



If you are interested in the rear rotors, we are working on those, and when they are complete, they will not have any hardware interference issues and will be a direct bolt-on. ETA for those would be about 16 weeks.



Let us know if you think there would be sufficient demand for these rotors.



Mike
__________________


///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,482
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

That really is too bad there isn't enough interest. Potentially though, the hubs on the E46 M3 is the same as the hubs on the MZ4, so the same rotor would fit the M3. If y'all want to generate more interest, I'd start with the M3 folks first (and I've made this suggestion to RB as well).

I'm sure if you can get a set of 10 rotors (20 total) ordered they'd be happy to accommodate, regardless of whether or not it's for the MZ4.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
335i, blanks, mz4, racing brake, rotors

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST