ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-09-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Cool 128 compared to Z4 3.0si> Long RANT!

Well I took my Z4 in for the cloudy mirror issue where the dimming juice leaks and makes the mirrors cloudy at night. And of course the dealer wasn't able to replicate the cloudy mirrors so they asked to keep the car over the weekend. This gave me a full 3 days to get used to the 128. It had only 6800 miles on it, so I didn't feel too guilty about flogging it.

I was hoping for a 135 convertible, but got a 128 coupe. They guy behind the counter actually laughed at me when I asked about a 35-anything. I'm sure this loaner is a stripper. No nav, basic stereo, single CD, smaller wheels. It had a remote, but I had to insert the remote into the dashboard AND push the button to start the car. When you push the button again to turn the engine off the remote is unlocked, but NOT ejected. The mechanism that lets go of the key was slow and made me push/pull a few times before I'd rip the key out of the slot. This little annoyance makes me suggest the keyless start is a must have.

On Saturday I went to trade a friend some cooked ribs for lemons and oranges, so I took a 20min highway drive and a 35ish min backroad drive back.

Since I have a baby on the way I've been considering looking for a convertible that has a back seat. Even if the backseat isn't usable for adults is fine for a carseat and random junk. Our primary family car will remain my wife's SUV, but I will need a car for the occasional baby duties.

Since the 128 is close in displacement to my 3.0si Z4 I thought the engine would be similar, but the 128 is a joke! I was really disappointed with how hard you have to rev it before it goes. Unfortunately that was my first impression coming from my Z. I've never driven a turbo engine (well I did drive a turbo diesel big rig, but that's another story), so I'm curious with how a 135 would feel. It seems everybody looks and expects turbo lag, but BMW seems to have dialed most of it out.

My concern with 135 is some of the reliability issues associated with turbos and oil consumption. I found this to be interesting: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1574495

I also have been getting EXCELLENT gas mileage from my Z4: A high of 31 and an average of 27. I know MPGs isn't something a true sports car owner thinks about, but I used to have a 450hp weekend driver and a Honda Civic that got 39 mpg. Finances forced me to merge them into one and that's how I ended up with my Z4. Plus I love the convertible.

I digress...

The build quality of the 1 blows me away. The doors feel solid, the switch gear, steering wheel and buttons blow away our Zs. I know the 1 seems to come from the next generation parts bin. The leather on this model feels like vinyl. Actually it feels like cheap vinyl. It reminds me off the clear plastic that grandma puts on the living room sofas that seems to entomb the cloth in a slick sticky non-porous plastic. I'm not sure if there's a leather upgrade, but my sister's Prius leather felt more like leather. It was such a turn off.

The electronics are a leap ahead. The turn signal has access to all key-memory functions such as 3x blink, headlight delay, etc. It's nice to have that nested in cool graphic menus. No coolant temperature gauge! How stupid does BMW take owners? First they took our oil dipsticks and now our temp gauges? I keep my engine revs under 2500 until I'm up to usual coolant temp, which for me is the distance from my house to the freeway. I looked for a sub menu in the dash computer but couldn't find anything. I'm sure the 1M has one.

I suspect I had the base sound system since it didn't have iDrive. The base system interface is nice, but the sound stinks. My Civic with Navigation sounded better. I hereby promise not to complain about the sound in my Z4 ever again. Well at least until the lack of depth and mids starts to bother me, in, oh, about 15min.

Storage space is awesome. Again, not something a weekend racer gives a crap about, but for me it was nice to find so much door space. The arm rest even had a hidden velcro ipod holder and USB port hidden underneath! So you could leave your ipod plugged in and out of sight. Surprisingly the trunk is only a little bigger.

So if you've read this far you're probably wondering if I drove it or just sat in it:

Engine output is feels about 65% of what my Z is, even though it's about 25hp apart. Maybe if I was coming from a Z4 2.5. I'm sure this wouldn't be so different had I been in a 135, but I feel like the 128 is a closer match to my Z4, at least on paper and in displacement. If I had a Z4M I'd guess the 1M is a closer match.

Ride is butter smooth compared to some of the harshness of my Z. I'd say about 40% of that improvement from the tires/wheels. Where the Z has no forgiveness in the tires and tramlinning is on the verge of dangerous, the 1 floats over the harsh stuff. It is firm enough to not squat in a straight line and not lean in a curve. Tire and suspension road noise is well suppressed.

NOTE: I'm on the fence on getting nonRF when the time comes. Mostly because I don't want my wife to be stranded should she get a flat and AAA not have a spare. **IF** I decide to go nonRF I think I'm going to go with the BFGoodrich KDWs, which rocked on my Infiniti G35 coupe.

Steering is slow off center and a little too quick mid curve. It is overboosted so it's too easy to turn the wheel too much resulting in a fast transition. As a result you have to turn CAREFULLY and SLOWLY which erodes at your confidence. It is accurate though. Is this BMW's variable ratio steering? If so I'd pass. It's more tuned for freeway cruising than autocross. I'm sure it's different on the 1M, but that's another price class altogether. I much prefer the feel in my Z4, esp the firmness that sport mode adds.

The automatic transmission was a 6 speed with paddle shifters. Instead of up/down being on both sides (push or pull) this car had downshift on the left and upshift on the right, both by pulling. As a result shifting with the wheel turned made you unsure of what you were pulling. Another minor detail that defeats the design by the execution.

The transmission wanted to constantly upshift, I'm assuming for mileage. Shifting into DS didn't necessarily make it shift more aggressively, it just made it stay in 1 gear lower than it normally would. In the city instead of being in 4th in D mode, it would rev all around in 3rd. On the freeway DS just seemed to disable 6th gear. Again, the execution of the DS defeats the intended "sportiness" that DS is supposed to accomplish. The shifts were a little harsher then expected. I'm sure the DCT tranny improves this, but this ZF auto should have performed at least the same as my Z4 ZF auto.

In my auto Z4 DS makes the shifting pattern more assertive. More eager to downshift and faster in making the decision. It knows when you're going to turn into a curve and doesn't shift mid corner. It holds the gear even if you let off the gas a little giving you time to get back into the throttle. I know most die-hards, and all Z4M owners would say get a stick, but my wife can't drive stick, and my commute can sometimes be 2 hours in stop and go traffic. If this was a 3rd or even 4th car to our family I'd go with a stick, but for me I'm actually happy with the performance AND convenience of the Z4 auto.

128 brakes are a joke. I'm positive my 2007 Honda Civic EX sedan had a firmer pedal, better feedback and stronger performance. The brakes on my Z are enough to make the seatbelt hurt. It makes me think of when the fast roller coaster ride comes to an end and the 15 rows of seats decelerate so quick all arms and legs suddenly jerk out ahead of the passengers.

The 1 seemed like the pads were made out of a wet kitchen sponge. This is probably solved with a set of sport pads, and is probably different with a sport package or stepping up to a 1M, but again a disappointment for such a small car with 4 good sized rotors. The pads did have the trademark BMW grabbyness that I've come to hate. Transitioning from brake to gas always results in a lurch. And the last 12 inches of coming to a stop are sudden and jerky. Creeping forward at a red light is impossible to do smoothly.

Since I'm still in warranty I refuse to spend money on brakes. But if I don't get them replaced by Nov, when my warranty expires, I'll be getting some Powerstop slotted rotors with Hawk pads. It was a great combination on my Jeep SRT8 in terms of high performance, no squeal and almost no dust.

In closing:

I'll be keeping my Z4 for now. I was really hoping the 128 was going to be a longer Z4, but it's a completely different car. I'd be curious if there is such a disparity between the new Z4 and 135 given they have the same drivetrains.

I am very envious of the improved switches and electronics, but there will always be tech improvements to be jealous of. I've come to be happy with my radio settings, MPG gauge, coolant gauge, the cargo net and first aid boxes I added, etc. Plus I know the "coolness" of the extra features would wear off after a few months.

This experience derails my idea of looking for a used convertible 135 and instead considering a used Honda Insight or maybe new Nissa Versa. My issue with this is the wasted insurance on having two cars since I don't drive enough to warrant a dedicated commuter car. Also, I'd feel like a dirtbag if I got myself a new commuter but didn't upgrade my wife's well worn SUV. And above all commuting in a boring car, is well, boring. Congested traffic can zap all the fun out of sports car, but diving into an onramp or taking the backroads home can make all the difference. Driving at night with the top down and heated seats on is pure magic.

Comments are welcome.

/Rant=Done.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
evoq007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I felt the exact same way when i cross shopped the 128 to the Z4 si. I was really hoping the 128 would have some more oopmh and feel, but it really doesnt. It basically just is a smaller 328 coupe. Ive been toying with the idea of a 135 but i havent spend enough time driving one to really figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Lark
Gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Dinan S3/'13 BoxsterS

I'll throw in my .02 cents. I have a 335i, albeit with a little added oomph via Dinan. And, of course, the si. While I love the si and the handling and tossability and the convertible, it doesn't hold a candle to the power of the 335i. And I have driven many Z4M and they still come up short in the power compared to Dinan S2. But they are clearly 2 different cars. The 335i seems like a Town Car after driving the Z4. Both great cars but for different reasons. And while the 35s have had the HPFP issue, anecdotal evidence from my readings of the boards seems to be that they have got a handle on the problem. And, again, I don't believe oil consumption is an issue. The real question will be long term reliability of the turbos, wastegates, etc. That remains to be seen. But I think you'll absolutely enjoy a 35. And remember BMW has extended the HPFP warranty to 10 years, 120K. When the HPFP goes out, it is more of an inconvenience than a complete shutdown.
2009 335i/Coupe/Dinan S3
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Last edited by Lark; 05-09-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
Thanks for the write-up on the 128.

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Yeah nice write up! Lark, when you say power, you are talking mere straight line power aren't you? The stock 335i and ZM have similar HP ratings so I would hope the 335i would feel faster with a tune than a stock ZM.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
Lark
Gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Dinan S3/'13 BoxsterS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Yeah nice write up! Lark, when you say power, you are talking mere straight line power aren't you? The stock 335i and ZM have similar HP ratings so I would hope the 335i would feel faster with a tune than a stock ZM.
Correct. You know actually the stock 335i is BMW rated at 300 hp, although there is much anecdotal evidence that in reality it makes something similar to the Z4M in HP. I am thinking the Dinan S2 335i just has so much torque that the butt dyno makes it feel faster. I believe the torque on the stock Z4M is 262 and the Dinan S2 335i is something around 428. Stock 335i torque is 300, but again if BMW is conservative, probably a little more.
2009 335i/Coupe/Dinan S3
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Good write-up, thanks.

No Dinan tune available for the new MY N55 engine, but there is one for the N54 which at Stage 2 is 378 HP and 415 ft lbs TQ. I haven't looked, but I'd bet Juicebox or any number of others have a piggy out for that engine by now.

I had a tuned 335i along the way (S54). Torque is really impressive at low RPM, but the thing just runs out of breath at higher RPMs. Torque and HP are always fun to discuss since there are so many ways to look at it: peak numbers, linear (or lack thereof), low vs. high RPM responsiveness. The engine is friendly to drive in city traffic with the torque and you can just leave it in gear and never downshift--it doesn't require the same level of focus to drive as my Z4M.

Given the relatively small price difference in a 135 vs. 335 if I were in the market I'd go for the larger 3 series since space is probably a driving factor in moving from the Z4. I cross shopped the 1 series vs. the 3 series and the 135 understeered more, had a more choppy ride, but was easier in some regards to toss around. But if you're looking for a sports car then the Z4 is the more logical choice; comfort, space, value for $--335 in my book. But I'd only go for the N55 as the N54 has such a bad track record with the HPFP. It might not be $ thing with the extended warranty on that item, but I don't want to be at the shop every few months--no time for that.

I'm not sure what 335d costs used these days, but the torque on those babies is pavement scorching at 480 or something nuts. Great MPG as well, and easy to live with in traffic. If I was looking for something with more room I'd consider that. (But I'm not, and I'm done swapping cars for the foreseeable future.)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Good write-up, thanks.

No Dinan tune available for the new MY N55 engine, but there is one for the N54 which at Stage 2 is 378 HP and 415 ft lbs TQ. I haven't looked, but I'd bet Juicebox or any number of others have a piggy out for that engine by now.

I had a tuned 335i along the way (S54). Torque is really impressive at low RPM, but the thing just runs out of breath at higher RPMs. Torque and HP are always fun to discuss since there are so many ways to look at it: peak numbers, linear (or lack thereof), low vs. high RPM responsiveness. The engine is friendly to drive in city traffic with the torque and you can just leave it in gear and never downshift--it doesn't require the same level of focus to drive as my Z4M.

Given the relatively small price difference in a 135 vs. 335 if I were in the market I'd go for the larger 3 series since space is probably a driving factor in moving from the Z4. I cross shopped the 1 series vs. the 3 series and the 135 understeered more, had a more choppy ride, but was easier in some regards to toss around. But if you're looking for a sports car then the Z4 is the more logical choice; comfort, space, value for $--335 in my book. But I'd only go for the N55 as the N54 has such a bad track record with the HPFP. It might not be $ thing with the extended warranty on that item, but I don't want to be at the shop every few months--no time for that.

I'm not sure what 335d costs used these days, but the torque on those babies is pavement scorching at 480 or something nuts. Great MPG as well, and easy to live with in traffic. If I was looking for something with more room I'd consider that. (But I'm not, and I'm done swapping cars for the foreseeable future.)
Once the baby arrives I'm going to consider the 335ds. My reservations are long term durability since it's relativity new tech. Plus everybody and their mother has a 3-series. I know for good reason, but I can count four 3-series on my block alone.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I here you on the mass appeal of the 3 series--but there's good reason IMO as it does a lot of things so well. Sure, a lot of folks buy it because it says "BMW" but it has things to offer the driver who needs performance + comfort + luxury + space. If you're thinking vert for any reason, the 1 series is a better bet given the soft top and lack of 250 additional pounds for the hardtop vert. That's where the 135 makes good sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4C 3.0si

everything you stated about the 128i is completely true. i had a z4c silver gray as a lease from 2007-09, and traded it in for an '09 128i ZSP in Alpine. after 8 months (5 of which were in storage because the damn pirelli tires it came with were down-right dangerous to drive on anything other than hot, dry pavement) i was very disappointed in both power and the vinyl of the seats.

i once bought a breakfast sandwich from starbucks, which comes in a perfectly sealed bag, and placed it on the passenger's seat. i drove to work, which is two blocks from the starbucks, picked up the sandwich off the seat, and the black vinyl had turned white (presumably from the heat as it was not wet) where it had been laying. $600 later for a new seat bottom and labor, i started looking for another z4c to buy.

although others may be enjoying their einers, i haven't regretted my decision to get rid of that car. z4's 4ever!
      05-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I had to have my my Z4MR serviced and i was given a 128i as a loaner. Ok, I could not wait until the end of the day to turn it back in. Nice car, but... Coming from an M, it was driving me nuts.

plus I was not fond at all of the stub look, to me it seemed like something was missing? Dunno just my two unsolicited cents
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

What you felt in the 128i was not a zf tranny but one sourced from GM, yeah I know I have one in my 328i. And the power difference is only 25hp but it's through out the power range and the throttle sensitivity is wired for MPG over driver enjoyment. I have a BMS tuner on mine and I would never drive one w/o it! trust me night and day difference.

As for the comments on the n54/55 it's completely subjective. I hated driving my buddies jb4 on race gas 335i, it's completely soulless even though it kept up w/ me on the bottle. And now I have the n55 in my x5 and it's tuned as well. Ive had a chance to run it down the drag and I'm beating the new camaro ss and e46 m3's in my 5k lb SAV(time slips to prove it), but still, I wouldn't want this motor in my z4m or my 3.0si, but BMW is giving us no choice

I'm so torn, FI gives way better economy and the potential for HP bragging rights but lacks soul and throttle feel. I'm thinking my next weekend car won't be a BMW unless they can make a FI motor that doesn't feel like it's an electric motor

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I agree the 128 Coupe probably sucks because I've had a 328 stripper loaner that was terrible. IMO the 128 vs. 135 and 328 vs 335 is a HUGE difference, especially when you add up the options. For comparison purposes, here's my comments I posted previously on the 135 convertible loaner I received when I brought my car in for service once. Options included Premium package, M Sport package, Navigation, Heated Seats, and Comfort Access.

Quote:
BTW I must add that the convertible 135i with automatic is INCREDIBLE as a daily driver for my commute. I'd say it made my commute about 65% more bearable and having the top down with the sun and open sky was a huge + in the happiness department.

I love my coupe though, for its rigidness, looks and performance aspects. It would be nice to have a more practical daily but I think I just need to fix my commute. Right now it's about an hour and consists ENTIRELY of stop and go.

My only complaints about the 135i were these:
1. Still not sold on styling, especially the rear and especially in convertible form with the top up.
2. USB plug really difficult to get open and once I did I broke it so the little flap wouldn't go back down. All that just to realize...
3. USB plug isn't compatible with an iPhone!
4. iDrive is a pain in the a$$ and not entirely useful for me at least. It took me half an hour to figure out I wasn't actually saving my radio presets correctly by pushing and holding the number buttons. The traffic info it popped up weren't relevant to me at all because they were all on completely different freeways far away and the route I was on doesn't show green, red, etc. like Google Maps or SigAlert.
5. I was expecting the gas mileage to greatly surpass my M Coupe but sadly, I averaged between 12-18mpg, whereas with my M Coupe, I average ~15-19mpg. I guess this could be blamed on my jamming on the gas to get the automatic to downshift and the fact that it was brand new (had less than 400 miles on it when I picked it up.)
6. Body roll and lack of rigidity, especially on the freeway...but I think this may just have been really noticeable due to my lack of experience driving in a convertible and also being used to my M Coupe's firmness. I noticed that if I was changing lanes around 55mph+ especially it would want to keep going into the lane next to it and I actually got beeped at a couple times because apparently it looked as though I intended to change two lanes at once rather than one.

Things I love:
1. TOP DOWN IN LA KICKS A$$
2. Comfort access...god this is SO useful for a girl always fishing in her purse. I really miss this feature that I had on my e90.
3. Really smooth, useful power delivery for a daily driver, although the automatic took a while to get used to. I hate having to jam on the gas to get it to go anywhere because it's in 6th gear while I'm going 35mph.
4. Fast...actually...really fast. I mean it's no where near as fun to drive or as raw as the M but its low-end torque delivers really usable power that definitely exceeds the need of the average commuter.
5. It turns heads, especially with the top down...most notably when I was on the 101 and a motorcyclist passed me, and then proceeded to stick his leg out to the left and do practically a full body turn to stare at me while going about 70mph. He looked like some kind of owl the way he managed to turn around. On a separate occasion, I also got a wave from another black 135 convertible driver. And when I got an incredible spot parked up front at a packed grocery store right by the sliding doors, a good number of people walking by were staring at the car.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
Nikki.. some reason ( ) me thinks they were not really looking at the car.

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
I'm so torn, FI gives way better economy and the potential for HP bragging rights but lacks soul and throttle feel. I'm thinking my next weekend car won't be a BMW unless they can make a FI motor that doesn't feel like it's an electric motor
I'm not sold on the fuel economy aspect of FI. Had a 335 (stock), and I actually got worse mileage than my ///M and about the same as my E92 M3 (which weighs more).

Both are about the same in terms of MPG as the shared DD (STi pre-tune and post Stage I Cobb tune) which weighs less than the 3 series. So, we have a 6 cylinder FI, 4 cylinder FI, and 8 cylinder NA getting the same MPG.

Sure, there's different turbo implementations (smaller turbo vs. larger and more boost in the STi), but the S6 turbo 335 getting the same mixed city/highway MPG makes the "efficiency" argument BMW wants to push moot IMO. It's more about how displacement leads to higher tax in Europe I think (on the questionable "fact" that displacement causes lower MPG I think). On the highway, yes, the 335 got about 6 MPG more--but that's not the kind of driving most of use really do. Most of us run mixed city/highway or highway stop/go.

In terms of fun, the STi is actually a bit more of a hoot to drive on a "soul" level since it doesn't run out of steam at higher RPMs and has more punch from the higher boost (especially if you add a tune). But I still prefer the S54 over any of the types I've mentioned (except for the S65, which was even better).
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #16
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
Nikki.. some reason ( ) me thinks they were not really looking at the car.
Haha, well it managed to make me look good so +1 in my book.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
cmark8
M52, M62TU, S50US, S54, S65
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT, E36 Touring MT

Last week I had some hedonic adaptation towards my Moupe... and I started craving for a 135i for some odd reason (easy to get more than 400whp with not much money invested into it)... I've been driving a 335i for a little while as a DD, and it's plain awesome. The fuel consumption is tenfold times better than my Moupe. But there was a lack of rawness to it.

1995 E36 M3 USA / 2002 E46 M3 SMG / 2008 E90 M3 6MT
1996 E36 328i Touring 5MT / 1998 E36 323Ti M Sport 5MT
2002 E39 540i Protection
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmark8 View Post
Last week I had some hedonic adaptation towards my Moupe... and I started craving for a 135i for some odd reason (easy to get more than 400whp with not much money invested into it)... I've been driving a 335i for a little while as a DD, and it's plain awesome. The fuel consumption is tenfold times better than my Moupe. But there was a lack of rawness to it.
exactly how I feel except b/c my z4m is not my daily I don;t really care for all that torque. Although I would never straight trade my z4m for a 1 m or a boss 302, I'm thinking of downsizing and selling the wifes e90(wifes been eyeing my x5) and my e85m for either of those as my daily, perhaps an e90 m3 my z4m is averaging 4k mi a year and I drive it every chance I get perhaps even trading it for a 1000rr...i don't know, but having a second kid on the way and the last option won't make my in laws or my parents very happy...wife doesn't mind In either case I'm in a good position

BTW: I have a solution for you...go for a 135i test drive, and I guarantee you will be happy with your current selection

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #19
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

i'd owned a 335i prior to the z4m and while the driving experiences of both are on different dimensions, each car definitely attracts its own unique customer.

what really stood out with the 335i was the ability to haul four fully-grown adults in comparatively (with the z4m) luxurious comfort coupled with tremendous torque that translated into a perception of awesome power. like some have mentioned, the twin turbos run out of breath quickly at the higher revs, and u'll be rowing (or paddling) through the gears quickly to stay in the power band. but, u'll quickly and unceremoniously be doing some law-breaking speed that kind of negates the lack of high-rev punch. essentially, the 335i is one comfortable and more than powerful (even in stock trim) gran tourer for four. it would be my pick if i had a family and kids. i never experienced an hpfp failure, or for that matter, any issue, with my 335i in the 6 months and 7,000 miles of ownership.

z4m owners belong to a different category of driver tt's looking for something more pure, raw and focused. it's definitely a sports car and has all the makings of a classic, and what really got me was its soul. how it's a car to be respected, a car tt rewards the driver, a car tt just gets under ur skin even as ur mind and body tells u it's not the most comfy, the most powerful, the most gorgeous (seriously debatable). it's tt last bit - the z4m just gets to u, just poisons ur conscience (should i really be flogging it? hell yes!), just evokes the most vivid of emotions.

tt so happens to be why i love it
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #20
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

^ +1 great post
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #21
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

Are you folks saying that the 135i is that really bad versus a Z4M? I've been thinking to sell my MR for a 2011 135i coupe (DCT) or the newer 09+ Z4. I can sacrafice a little performance for more ease of a daily driver car where I can put a mountain bike on it. True the newer Z4 is not...but it's a pretty car that's the best of convertible and hard top.

No, I haven't test driven a 135i yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #22
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

135i susp mods, non run flats, tuned, intercooler, exhaust...step
z4m dinan/bilstein, stb

135 is fast, capable, quiet, and a bit boring
z4m is engaging, needs to be driven harder, and a little rough around the edges.

stock power edge might go to z4m, tuned the 135 is def faster.

starting with interior
fit and finish and switchgear slightly better in 135
stereo sound not as good as carver, but ipod and bluetooth much better
leather in 1 series is some kind of cheap vinyl...like delivery van style, esp compared to the nappa in the m
decent room in the car, can put 2 'friends' in back for a short ride if you move front seats up. seats do fold, no spare tire...

handling drive
135 is floaty, squishy, leans like a boat stock, but is still smooth on the rock hard run flats. absolutely ditch the run flats and then it needs some susp mods to be any kind of sports car.
M is decently firm, has great steering feel, and pretty communicative, even stock, now better on the dinan/bilstein.
135 is quiet, smooth...end up driving faster than you think.
M is a vert so quite a bit different, but has some cowl shake, etc.

power
1 is sledgehammer torque, runs out of steam at about 6k, crazy to buy the car and not tune it. un tuned it's a decent car, but if you're not going to tune it, go find an 06 e46 m3 and buy that instead.
M power is there, you just need to wind it out, you all know.

trans
i see you're driving the auto, the step is decent, shifts pretty quick, and in DS is acceptable. all have the steering wheel paddles.
if buying new, go with the dct, it's awesome and helps performance a ton. true it's not a pure manual, but it's fast.

fuel economy on my similar commute
135 19.6
M 20.9

I sold a z3m (s54 car) and thought the 135 might be enough of a balance to keep for daily and get the fun out of it. I was wrong, hated the car until i got the z4m to have as my fun car. Made me realize the 135 is a great daily driver with a sporting edge, as opposed to a sports car that can be a daily driver.