ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

anyone bored too?

of your z4? I've had mine for 4 years, and im pretty bored with it. What kind of cars are people here planning to buy next? I'm thinking elise + cheap DD
      10-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

ive had mine for a year and am so so on it. i thought doing stuff to it would get me passed that but ive done intake, eibachs/konis, 3.46 rear differental, and an m steering wheel. yet something is just not quite right. its a great car and i like it a lot but i had a 91 gti for 7 years prior to the z4 and i had nothing but fun with that car for all 7 years.

i think next car will be something a little more practical. maybe a new wrx
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe

Do you guys think you would feel differently if you had gotten the M?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

i think i just miss the rawness of my 91 gti. although not in the slightest bit as quick as the z4 and doesnt handle as well either, it was just more fun. maybe its the refinement that im not used to or the features i never had that brought character to my gti.

i guess im more of an older car kind of guy. ive driven the m and although very fast, still didnt have that fun factor that an older less refined car has, regardless of how slow it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
hammerhead
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

I also agree wrt the lack of practicality. (I have the Z4MC). What do you think of the new Mazdaspeed 3? Not the most aesthetically pleasing car, but I test drove one on Monday and was blown away by the solid feel of the car while being super easy to drive (easy clutch and shifter). Also, has anyone driven the new GTI? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
I also agree wrt the lack of practicality. (I have the Z4MC). What do you think of the new Mazdaspeed 3? Not the most aesthetically pleasing car, but I test drove one on Monday and was blown away by the solid feel of the car while being super easy to drive (easy clutch and shifter). Also, has anyone driven the new GTI? Thoughts?
ive driven the first generation mazdaspeed3 and i must say, it was very quick. the only thing i didnt like was that it had all that power to the front wheels which caused a lot of torque steer. otherwise, it was surprisingly solid and fun to drive.

i havent driven the new gti but have driven the previous version and that also is a nice car. handles good, pretty quick, fun to toss around. the only thing i would be worried about is reliability. take it from someone whose whole entire family has a vw or audi (mom, dad, 2 brothers, girlfriend, and both neighbors). the check engine light does not shut off on those cars
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
iridelow
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M roadster

You sould have bought a Z4M:threadj acked:

I traded a 450 HP Full widebody C6 Corvette for my Z4M, and am very happy! it's not the car, it's like a woman....You may have a great one, but the idea of something different, just makes your mouth water!!!!It's called the "Strange Factor"!
      10-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridelow View Post
You sould have bought a Z4M:threadj acked:

I traded a 450 HP Full widebody C6 Corvette for my Z4M, and am very happy! it's not the car, it's like a woman....You may have a great one, but the idea of something different, just makes your mouth water!!!!It's called the "Strange Factor"!
lol
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-coupe View Post
Do you guys think you would feel differently if you had gotten the M?
I think that depends - there appear to be two trends: people that tire of the Z4 completely and move on to something else, and people that like the Z4 but want more power and move up to the Z4M. I went from a 2.5i roadster to an M Coupe, and I'm very happy with the car; I'd only replace it with an exotic (Ferrari 360 or Audi R8).
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I think that depends - there appear to be two trends: people that tire of the Z4 completely and move on to something else, and people that like the Z4 but want more power and move up to the Z4M. I went from a 2.5i roadster to an M Coupe, and I'm very happy with the car; I'd only replace it with an exotic (Ferrari 360 or Audi R8).
There is also a third trend, represented by folks like me who love their Z4 as it is, and are perfectly happy to keep the car and enjoy it for many years (and miles) to come!

Huzz
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Mazdaspeed 3 / GTI vs Z4 M ?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Expecting a Z4 or Z4M to be practical is like expecting your wife to dress up like a Victoria's Secret model to look after the kids, do the housework and take out the trash. In other words, a tad silly!

For practical, I have my big old 09' Accord.

For fun, I've got the Z!

Huzz
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Have had my Z4M for just over a year and no intention of selling/replacing it.
I bought it because I had 2 sedans and wanted the impractical sports car. I've driven a Lotus Elise for an extended time, and it was fun, but couldn't see myself owning it. I can't think of anything I'd want to trade it for (that I could afford).
      10-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
I can't think of anything I'd want to trade it for (that I could afford).
That's the only real problem of our cars It is so good of a deal, can't find anything else to replace. I, for example, would replace it with an R8.. But uh.. I have to have 3 more M Z4s for that trade
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

im single so practicality isn't a big issue for me either. but i feel like my next car will probably be something a little more practical.

i guess im out of the 3 trends posted above. id rather have the older, slower, uglier car over the z4 lol. not that the z4 is bad, i do really like it, just not as much as the gti. to be honest, no newer car ive ever driven ever felt right to me.

probably one of the main things that made me unattracted to newer cars was the throttle by wire. it is very hesitant (even on the z4m sorry guys) compared to the older throttle by cable. that is probably the biggest thing i miss about my 91 gti.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #16
drummerbrent
Ex-Auto Engineer
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster

Had my M vert for 1 1/2 years now. Love the driving & practicality, but I just don't love the way it looks (front fenders & tail). Had an Elise and supercharged NSX before this. They were great for certain times, but not as good (or fun) all around as the Z4. Thinking about a dedicated track car next and maybe fixing the looks of the M.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
mimsterzx7r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Roadster, 03 Pathfinder

Can't say that I'm bored with my car, its the weekend car so it still feels fresh to me. But new wheels and exhaust have definitely kept me more interested.

ZHP knob/Zeckhausen CDV/ESS Tune/More to come
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
773H HO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z-4 Osi

Well I gotta admit it ain't got the everyday thrill you get from a 1968 Plymouth Valiant with a slant six and a push button automatic transmission, but it will have to do until Chrysler/Fiat sees the light and brings it back.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 01:21 AM   #19
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpapa View Post
probably one of the main things that made me unattracted to newer cars was the throttle by wire. it is very hesitant (even on the z4m sorry guys) compared to the older throttle by cable. that is probably the biggest thing i miss about my 91 gti.
2 words: sport button. If you need more gas than that off the line, you're looking at strapping a jerry can to the hood.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 05:00 AM   #20
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

You will miss it when it is gone, trust me.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #21
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
2 words: sport button. If you need more gas than that off the line, you're looking at strapping a jerry can to the hood.
still not sensitive enough for me especially when heel and toeing
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #22
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpapa View Post
still not sensitive enough for me especially when heel and toeing
Have you thought about custom software?
Appreciate 0