ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-28-2024, 08:21 AM   #23
pungo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, X3-35i,525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I fully understand the behavior of pre-facelift headlights, but it's moot point in this discussion since the OP has FACELIFT Bi-Xenon headlights which are much different. Why paste documentation that does not pertain to the OP type of headlight

Not sure why it's so hard for you to understand that pre-face vs facelift headlights are NOT the same, even after I provided the official BMW documentation describing the behavior of the DRLs for both the US and Canada facelift Bi-Xenon headlights

Just so you know, the LSZ is the lighting computer module and it just so happens the switch(s) are attached to the front of it making the LSZ with built in light switch(s) an assembly. As well the Bi-Xenon facelift headlight does NOT even have a H7 bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
I have bi-xexon (0522) as per my spec page... I'm a '04

From the E85 Training Manual.... 11 Central Body Electronics.pdf ..page 33 ..... Edit ..I've included cut/paste in case the pdf didn't upload properly.

First they call the switch the LSZ in this manual... pre face lift

Headlights

The E85 headlights are fitted with halogen bulbs as standard for both the low and high beams.
Bi-xenon bulbs are available as an option. If the bi-xenon option is fitted, a dynamic beam- height adjustment system is also fitted. Lighting configurations for the E 85 are as follows:
• US version with halogen headlights without manual beam height adjustment
• US version with dynamic beam-height adjustment and bi-xenon headlights

Bi-xenon Headlights
The optional bi-xenon headlights represent a major advance in road illumination and head- lamp range. Their function is identical to the bi-xenon headlights on the E46.
When the headlights are switched on using the steering column stalk, an electromagnet controls a movable beam-pattern screen in the ellipsoid module of the dipped-beam head- light. That screen then uncovers the high part of the headlight beam.
Note:
If the headlight flasher function is required, the bi-xenon beam-pattern screen is not activated. Only the high-beam headlight (H7) is activated. The bi-xenon light reacts too slowly
to that signal.
Light switch center
The light switch centre controls the entire exterior lighting system. The following compo- nents are integrated in the light switch centre, depending on equipment level.
• Light switch
• Switch for fog lamps
• Dimmer control for dashboard, instrument cluster and locator lighting (terminal 58)
• Photocell for detecting ambient light conditions

The light switch centre has the capability of adjusting the effective voltage at all outputs by means of pulse-width modulation. With the exception of those for the bi-xenon headlights and their beam-pattern screens, all output volt- ages are pulse-width modulated.
Control of the effective voltage levels by pulse- width modulation allows brightness fluctuations due to variations in the load on the vehicle's electrical system to be evened out. The electri- cal system voltage has to be higher than the desired effective voltage.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 08:57 AM   #24
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
According to the official BMW documentation, for Canada, the Bi-Xenon model headlamp DOES use the headlights for the DRL, along with the Halo and side marker
I think this is correct. The first image shows how my car works - it has US spec owing to a dealer error when I imported to Canada.

The second image shows how the lights work on my X5 with Canadian spec set up.

Let’s keep it friendly!
Appreciate 1
maupineda504.00
      05-28-2024, 10:49 AM   #25
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

I found my answer in an old post from 05-17-2016 (inTgr8r) a previous forum member whom i believe has moved on to Porsches. The coding I would need is to change DAUERFAHRLICHT to nicht activ and PO_ALS_DRL (bumper sidelights) also to nicht activ which would leave the inner angel eyes on as DRLs. The current coding allows only shutting off the instrument panel lighting, nothing else. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the control switch, my M coupe has super low mileage.
Appreciate 0