View Single Post
      02-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
OMG ! Not as easy as planned, but it's baking in the FL Sun at 10:30 AM now. Wrote to admin for help on how to post from my Google Photo Bucket.

Very little wind, decided to pull the car out, take protective top wrap off. I didn't want my car cover to leave any lint behind. Wrap my pre measured 9 ft wide car film section around entire vehicle. Raise top a bit, close onto plastic, shut doors with windows up...everything sealed. Thought that might take me 15 minutes....WRONG, it did not leave my self enough extra length a accommodate all the bending around the corners. It crossed my mind, but didn't think it through, so I was about 3 feet short. Another piece cut, some more tape to hold it all together, a few tools to hold it in place around the car...and done...about 45 mins later. Then 2 more sheets of the lint roller, just to make sure. Oh well, I like the learning process.

First off, full skin protection ( long sleeve Tshirt, tucked into Nitril gloves, painters mask, eye protection. 303 on the fine mist selection goes everywhere. I was glad I masked off the whole car. I could still get a whiff here and there. It's bad and poisonous.

I ended up putting down 4 coats. I used softer and softer brushes as I went. First was a long handled short nylon brush to get things going. Then a 2 inch wide chip brush ( sold at any big box store ). Then a two inch standard paint brush. I had smaller brushes and a couple sponge "brushes" on stand by, but didn't feel I needed them.

Without brushing in, the spray just sorta sat there. Brushing it in really got it down into the fibers of the top.

My last coat was with the same 2 inch soft bristled brush. I liberally applied just like paint on all the edges, seams and in a couple high wear areas. I ended up using Approx. 25 oz. I know this is heavy, as the bottle stated usage, but pro detailers say you really can't use too much. For $ 20/ 32OZ bottle, I think it's worth it. High today...81* and Sunny ! My car has 56K, so it's 11 years old and is still nice, but not perfect. On the rear quarter areas, there are some wear lines from the frame pressing on them. I'm hoping from some darkening or these spots, although, the only time anyone sees my top, is when I might stop by a store when running some errands. I usually don't do this too much, but time is limited on the weekends.

So going to take this day to do some interior cleaning, 303 Aerospace applying and try out my new portable steamer for those deeply grooved door panels.Name:  20170212_093831.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  449.4 KB

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 02-17-2017 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 2