View Single Post
      09-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

"Rubber-banding" effect in 1st

I thought this was normal for these cars, or otherwise a result of occasionally sloppy driving, but a BMW CCA instructor commented on this yesterday when he drove my car at pre-tech so I thought I'd get some opinions.

Once engaged in 1st gear, does anyone else notice an occasional "rubber-banding" effect in the driveline as you depress the accelerator, where power delivery is uneven and it takes a second for the car to rev freely? I want to say it's mostly clutch-related, because it was much, much worse with the CDV, and virtually unnoticeable in the Z4 3.0si, which has a different clutch altogether. Since the CDV replacement and ~2500 miles of practice on the M, it doesn't happen with the same severity or frequency. It does not happen in any gear beyond first. It also doesn't happen if I launch more aggressively, which probably explains why it didn't seem to be as prevalent in the cars I test drove, because I was definitely a bit more spirited on those drives (without being abusive, of course).
Appreciate 0